Potential Wright State Team

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
bing10
Lulu

Potential Wright State Team

Post by bing10 »

Hello,
I participated in Quizbowl in high school and am considering starting a Quizbowl team at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio and would appreciate any information about potential tournaments to attend, student recruitment techniques, and anything else that would be good to know for a new team. I have a willing faculty adviser and could set up a team with our Student Activities Office, but I'd like to have a little more information before plunging into anything.

Emily
Emily Bingham
Northmont High School 2011
Wright State University
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Re: Potential Wright State Team

Post by dxdtdemon »

After a few months of Ohio State's registrar being a jerk, I will be enrolled as a continuing education student at Wright State this fall. Unfortunately, if I go with you and I'm assuming David to tournaments, I'd have to write a packet, so I'd probably not be going to much. If you have a team of people who've never played college tournaments before and are all undergraduates, you don't have to write a packet for tournaments your first year but doing so will get you lower tournament fees. Not all tournaments are packet-submission, though, like the Illinois Fall Tournament and NAQT's SCT. Mirrors of most tournaments get hosted by either Illinois (a little over three hours away), Chicago, Michigan (about four hours away), or Ohio State.

As for recruitment techniques, at Ohio State, the years the team had a table at the student activity fair seemed to get a few people to join, but since Wright State is more commuter-oriented, I don't know if that many people would go to the student activity fair or if they even have one. I think a lot of Tippecanoe alumni go to Wright State, and David probably can contact at least a few of them.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
MathMusic
Lulu

Post by MathMusic »

Buffalo has started to mirror more tournaments as well, although you probably could find a closer mirror. Welcome to the circuit!!

Also, I'd recommend writing as much as you can, you learn a lot just by researching your questions.
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
Secretary, Past Treasurer and Founding Member, U Buffalo Academic Bowl 2010-2014
Captain, Pembroke, NY HS Quiz Team 2008-2010
bing10
Lulu

Post by bing10 »

David is actually no longer associated with Wright State. I don't have a team of four undergrads yet but am hoping to form one. If you are interested in playing with us though, you can always message me; it'd be great to have someone else familiar with quizbowl on the team.

When would registration for the tournaments you mentioned open?
Emily Bingham
Northmont High School 2011
Wright State University
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

Hey, it's great to see another university in Ohio get a quizbowl team together. Get in touch with Catie Haas; I'm sure she will be excited to have the opportunity to play at the very least.

To answer your question, tournaments and their respective mirrors will be announced by a post usually months before it happens in this forum: viewforum.php?f=8 You can either post in the thread with necessary information (# of teams/buzzers/moderators/etc.) or email the TD (the TD's email is always listed in the announcement thread).

Hope to see you at some tournaments this coming year!
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10