Getting good at 20th-century vis art

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.

Getting good at 20th-century vis art

Postby nsb2 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:40 pm

I recently graduated high school, and over the past year, I've become a pretty good vis arts player (usually getting ACF regs tossups within the first half of the question at NASAT practices).

I generally do well with tossups on pre-20th century artists, or later famous artists (e.g. Picasso, Dali, Duchamp, Miro, etc.) However, I've had trouble with clues about less well known 20th-century artists, particularly clues like "One artist from this country painted [insert painting description here]." These sorts of clues came up at PACE, and I've noticed that they also tend to come up a lot on harder college sets.

How would one go about studying these artists, and would there be any books/websites/etc. you could recommend? Thanks.
Pranav Sivakumar
Barrington Station MS '13, Barrington High School --> IMSA '17
UC Berkeley '21
nsb2
Lulu

Re: Getting good at 20th-century vis art

Postby vinteuil » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:53 pm

The Oxford History of Art is uniformly very good, especially for more recent stuff, although it's a little light on artist/work proper nouns for quizbowl. There is also Rosalind Krauss and co.'s Art Since 1900, which is...difficult and...opinionated.

EDIT: The Pelican History of Art, which is much more quizbowl-friendly in terms of focus, is also starting to come out with more up-to-date and comprehensive volumes on chunks of 20th century art (France until 1940 and Central Europe until 1920).

EDIT EDIT: There are also a number of good pertinent volumes in the World of Art series.
Jacob Reed
Yale '17, '19
East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens
vinteuil
Auron

Return to New Collegiate Teams