Tournament attendance

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Tournament attendance

Post by Matt Weiner »

This topic is for questions about what tournaments to attend and how tournament participation generally works in mainstream quizbowl.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
tiwonge
Yuna

Re: Tournament attendance

Post by tiwonge »

Is there a list of all tournaments in a region? (Specifically, the west coast, or northwest.)

I see lots of individual announcements, but nothing more comprehensive.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

If you're looking for west coast-exclusive stuff, join the QB-WC mailing list by visiting https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/li ... -westcoast and subscribing. Also, once people start using the hsquizbowl.org tournament data base, you should be able to search for tournaments near you.

EDIT: Once you join, the website tells me you can look at the Archives for prior tournament announcements, so all the tournaments should be listed in those Archives.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

I am on that list. I see three tournaments announced for the fall (well, two--one was canceled). I didn't know if I'm missing any, or if some aren't being reported. That sounds like a small number, especially since I didn't see any in the Bay area, which is closer.
Member, PACE
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

In general, the pacific northwest and Rocky Mountain area is a pretty tough place to be a collegiate quizbowler. Other than the BYU squad that came to Regionals last year, I'm not sure of any teams in that region. Do you know of any other teams who would be interested in attending an ACF Fall site in that area? I know that I am this year's Fall editor in chief and site coordinator, and I'd really like to see Boise State and other nascent western teams attend the tournament. If there are enough (more than three, basically) teams that are interested in playing in the region, I would definitely like to work with one of the programs to have a tournament site in the Rockies/Northwest area.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

BYU has a team. They attended the ACF Regional in Spring '08. They're trying to contact other schools in the SLC area, but I don't know how much luck they'll have.

I just contacted somebody I know at Idaho State and at Gonzaga. Mike Bentley (formerly of Maryland, and now living in the Seattle area) sent out an e-mail and is trying to drum up some interest.
Member, PACE
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Sounds good. I'd really like to see an ACF Fall Northwest site this year, so please let me know how your inquiries turn out. My email is [email protected]
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum