Just formed a team...

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
Paragon
Kimahri

Just formed a team...

Post by Paragon »

Greetings everyone , I recently formed a Quizbowl Team at George Mason University and I'm looking for help on how to find more people to join? So far we have a total of 8 people including myself. Lastly I'm also wondering on where I can find information about upcoming college tournaments? Thank you and if this is the wrong place to ask for help then please re direct to the appropriate place.
Ricky - George Mason
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Just formed a team...

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Check this out.
Best of luck.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hey! Welcome to the forums. I moved this over to the "new teams" forum, which is the best place for advice on starting a college-level team.

I'm assuming you have everything taken care of with regards to GMU's rules - whatever you have to do with the Student/Campus Activities group, your ruling body, getting a sponsor, writing bylaws and all that fun stuff. If you have this out of the way, do everything you can - put up posters, see if your school has a campus wide email system for notifications of organizations' important meetings, ask friends, ask professors for suggestions, go to activity fairs, etc. There are entering freshmen lists from the past few years (2008, 2007, 2006 and from 2002 to 2005.

For upcoming tournaments, click here.

Best of luck with the team. We are more than willing to help out in anyway we can, so if you have any more questions don't hesitate to post them.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

You should probably talk to Dr. Chuck, who is a moderator on this forum and a member of PACE. He'd be a good source for a faculty advisor / liason to the student government or reservation people.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Greetings everyone , I recently formed a Quizbowl Team at George Mason University and I'm looking for help on how to find more people to join? So far we have a total of 8 people including myself. Lastly I'm also wondering on where I can find information about upcoming college tournaments? Thank you and if this is the wrong place to ask for help then please re direct to the appropriate place.
Hey,

I'm from the Maryland team, so feel free to email me at [email protected] - I'm more than willing to try to answer any questions you might have, particularly about local events (of course, most people here can do that too). We'd love to see another team on the local circuit.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I am aware of the team (through a few Facebook mail exchanges), and we're going through the administrative motions of getting student recognition and building the group.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)