Trying to form a team at UC

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
Erasmus
Kimahri

Trying to form a team at UC

Post by Erasmus »

Hi, I'm currently looking into starting a team here at the University of Cincinnati, but right now there is only one catch. I've found evidence pointing to the fact that their was a team here as recently as last year (I've seen information on our university's online web resource - blackboard, as well as on Maize). Does anyone know anything about this? Does said team still exist, or should I prepare now to try and start a new one? Thanks for all of your help!
A.J. Arand, St. Xavier HS '07, University of Cincinnati '11
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Trying to form a team at UC

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hey, as always it's great to hear about a new team, especially one in the midwest. My best guess is that UC had a College Bowl program run by the Student Union, which isn't really a regular quizbowl team. Cincinatti doesn't show up anywhere in NAQT, ACF, or regular invitational statistics that I can find. I am founding a team at a school that is probably similar because there was no regular quizbowl team at Mizzou for the pst few years, but they ran a campus intramural and sent people from that to CBI regionals each year. I would suggest searching your school's website for information about their CBI contacts, not because I think your club should emulate CBI but because they might have some resources like buzzer systems, leftover funds (not likely), or former players from CBI so that you can contact them about joining the team that you might be able to use. I have gotten some suggestion at MU from a guy that was involved in our CBI program but who was not idealogically tied to the idea or anything like that, so he has been helpful for me to track down some useful stuff to found our team.
Best of luck.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I want to say I saw Cincinnati at an MLK (or something) at some point, but nowhere recently.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

UC played the 2007 SCT at Michigan. I distinctly remember one of their players coming up to Seth Teitler after a game and asking him how he knew so much about Ibsen. In 2005 or 2006, they also notably attended an SCT in California. I think Tim McElroy once told me about playing against UC at the 2004 SCT as well.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Erasmus wrote:Hi, I'm currently looking into starting a team here at the University of Cincinnati, but right now there is only one catch. I've found evidence pointing to the fact that their was a team here as recently as last year (I've seen information on our university's online web resource - blackboard, as well as on Maize). Does anyone know anything about this? Does said team still exist, or should I prepare now to try and start a new one? Thanks for all of your help!
Hey, welcome to quizbowl. Did you contact the email addresses listed on the Maize Pages entry?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Erasmus
Kimahri

Post by Erasmus »

Matt Weiner wrote:
Erasmus wrote:Hi, I'm currently looking into starting a team here at the University of Cincinnati, but right now there is only one catch. I've found evidence pointing to the fact that their was a team here as recently as last year (I've seen information on our university's online web resource - blackboard, as well as on Maize). Does anyone know anything about this? Does said team still exist, or should I prepare now to try and start a new one? Thanks for all of your help!
Hey, welcome to quizbowl. Did you contact the email addresses listed on the Maize Pages entry?
Yea, I did. I have managed to get in touch with an alum, and working my way through the grapevine I have the email of the ex-captain who is still at UC as well as the two faculty advisors. I will be meeting with one this afternoon and the other (who is now retired) has told me where to find all the archives he created from the quiz team. Apparently it WAS the UC team that went to USC a couple years ago, who knew?

This is so much fun. Its exciting an terrifying at the same time!
A.J. Arand, St. Xavier HS '07, University of Cincinnati '11
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I work with somebody who was on the UC team in the early to mid 1990s. He said it was sponsored by the Student Union then and, though they practiced every week, the only tournament was CBI each year. He was good at the spelling questions.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)