Starting at UTPA

This forum is for anyone seeking advice on starting a collegiate team, branching out into new types of tournaments, or other "how-to" aspects of collegiate quizbowl.
utpaquizbowl
Kimahri

Starting at UTPA

Post by utpaquizbowl »

Hi,

I'm a sophomore from UTPA (Texas-Pan American) in Edinburg, Texas. I used to play some quizbowl as a high school student in a Hidalgo County league. I found this forum a couple months ago, and me and some guys on our school's competitive eating team (yeah) are looking to start a club next year. We talked to admin about it, and they've given us a reasonable amount of funding for the new club. We want to go to tournaments, but location's an issue. My school is closer to Monterrey, Mexico than San Antonio or Houston, for example. Are there teams in Texas? San Antonio, Houston, and Austin are reasonable drives. Thx for any info.

Procopio Guzman
UTPA Mod. Lang. '12
Procopio Guzman
UTPA Mod. Lang. '12
grapesmoker
Sin

Re: Starting at UTPA

Post by grapesmoker »

You should get in touch with Eric Kwartler, who is at UT-Austin for law school. He can definitely tell you about stuff in the Texas area, and hopefully he will post here and do so. His email is [email protected].
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Welcome! There are active programs at both UT-Austin and Texas A&M. So you will have to do some driving, but it's always good to hear about the formation of a brand-new team.

Edit: what Jerry said, definitely get in touch with Eric.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Mr. Kwalter
Tidus

Post by Mr. Kwalter »

Hey dude,

There is a college circuit here in the Southwest region, and I'm excited to hear that you're interested in starting a team. There are certainly going to be some tournaments coming up at UT-Austin this year. My email is ekwartler at gmail dot com. Send me an email with your contact info and any questions you have and I'll be happy to answer them.

Eric Kwartler
Eric Kwartler
Alumnus, University of Texas School of Law
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

utpaquizbowl wrote:\ some guys on our school's competitive eating team (yeah) are looking to start a club next year\
If the much-hyped latke-eating contest happens at Chicago Open '10, things just got a lot more interesting!
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.