NAQT's middle school program

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

NAQT's middle school program

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:NAQT is pleased to announce that, starting with the 2010-2011 competition year, it will add a middle school quiz bowl program to complement its high school, community college, and college offerings. The inaugural 2011 Middle School National Championship Tournament will be held at Chicago's Hyatt Regency O'Hare hotel on the weekend of May 6-8, 2011.
Full details
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: NAQT's middle school program

Post by dtaylor4 »

Paging Jeff Price...
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

NAQT wrote:In this first year, NAQT will be producing one "Middle School Series" set of ten question packets, each of which contains 24 tossups and 24 bonus questions. This set will be ready by October 15, 2011, and can be used at any time after that.
I hope that date is incorrect.

I think this is a huge step for the growth and legitimacy of good middle school quizbowl. NAQT A-series length is short enough to not distract middle schoolers, but long enough to allow for a reasonable semblance of pyramidality (personally I think that the IS-set character limit is probably fine as well, given that we used that for CMST and it appeared to work well). Also, a huge plus is that NAQT's MSNCT is run as its own separate event - it doesn't look like it's merely an afterthought run concurrently with a high school event. I worry a little about NAQT's ability to keep the difficulty down, but Jeff did great work on CMST and NAQT's A-series sets are already thousands of times better than any other middle school for-profit provider even with the difficulty caveat.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Important Bird Area

cvdwightw wrote:
NAQT wrote:In this first year, NAQT will be producing one "Middle School Series" set of ten question packets, each of which contains 24 tossups and 24 bonus questions. This set will be ready by October 15, 2011, and can be used at any time after that.
I hope that date is incorrect.
Fixed.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Heh. The IESA State Championship finals will be held Friday, May 6th, 2011. The GOOD news is that if the Friday night of NAQT is just practice rounds, any team that is playing IESA State Finals will be able to make it for Saturday, though they'll be pretty worn out by the time they reach the Hyatt, IMO.

Edit: clarity
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the return of AHAN
Auron

The question has been put to me, though, about whether IESA teams would run into any season limitation by-laws, and my answer is "no," the IESA does not set a date in which the season must end; only when it should begin. Thus no need to invoke the 4 v. 4 end-around IHSA schools use to play national tourneys.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Moving Day wrote:The question has been put to me, though, about whether IESA teams would run into any season limitation by-laws, and my answer is "no," the IESA does not set a date in which the season must end; only when it should begin. Thus no need to invoke the 4 v. 4 end-around IHSA schools use to play national tourneys.
I expect to see Station's Class of 2003 put up an impressive showing at nationals as their 2002-03 season finally comes to a close.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
the return of AHAN
Auron

jonah wrote:
Moving Day wrote:The question has been put to me, though, about whether IESA teams would run into any season limitation by-laws, and my answer is "no," the IESA does not set a date in which the season must end; only when it should begin. Thus no need to invoke the 4 v. 4 end-around IHSA schools use to play national tourneys.
I expect to see Station's Class of 2003 put up an impressive showing at nationals as their 2002-03 season finally comes to a close.
LOL! I didn't coach that team; but it's still funny.
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Jeff Price
Coach K
Wakka

Post by Coach K »

Jeff,

Is there an estimated date for when places that have submitted bids to host the MS Invitational Set will find out if their bids have been accepted?
Rob Kremer - Coach
Danville High School
Important Bird Area

Our middle school sample packet is now available on naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Coach K wrote:Jeff,

Is there an estimated date for when places that have submitted bids to host the MS Invitational Set will find out if their bids have been accepted?
We're working on this and expect to notify hosts and post the full schedule on naqt.com in the near future.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

the return of AHAN
Auron

LIVE from the IESA Coaches Workshop...

I've been passing around copies of your sample middle school set, and posting info about MSNCT on the tournament board.

You're welcome.

PS: (also passing out the link to quizbowlpackets.com, an Olympia Academic Questions set, and a round of the 2009 Jr. Wildcat, lest anyone think I'm playing favorites here. :wink: )

EDIT: i spelz gud
Jeff Price
Important Bird Area

I just split the timed rounds discussion to a new thread, and posted a separate announcement thread for the inaugural MSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

the return of AHAN
Auron

I know the ink isn't even dry on the score sheets from the 2012 MSNCT, but......any thoughts on the location of the 2013 MSNCT yet? :smile:
Jeff Price
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

the return of AHAN wrote:I know the ink isn't even dry on the score sheets from the 2012 MSNCT, but......any thoughts on the location of the 2013 MSNCT yet? :smile:
My question is, how can the Barrington invite hit 50-60 teams and maybe 10% come to MSNCT, which for most of the BIT teams is in their own backyard?
the return of AHAN
Auron

We had 52 teams and <6% come. Progress, no?
Jeff Price