Moving from Middle School to High School

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
billysport
Kimahri

Moving from Middle School to High School

Post by billysport »

I'm an 8th grader transitioning to 9th grade next fall in an small (partially redneck) town in Alabama. I've been the best in our county the past three years, and I was wondering how high school and middle school quiz bowl are different. I want to know, because it's never fun getting crushed by a school twice your size when you aren't allowed to move down to a small school division. My highschool, I know, attends two tournaments a year; one on NAQT, the other on Questions Galore if that helps any.
Last edited by billysport on Fri May 29, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Fryer
Player
Columbiana Middle 2013-15
Shelby County High School 2015-
heterodyne
Rikku

Re: Moving from Middle School to High School

Post by heterodyne »

I'm not sure how middle school quizbowl works in Alabama, but for me the transition was almost entirely one of difficulty. The canon is going to expand and it can at times seem precipitous. I would suggest reading through high school regular difficulty packets and studying them to familiarize yourself with the HS canon.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
acrosby1861
Lulu

Re: Moving from Middle School to High School

Post by acrosby1861 »

heterodyne wrote:I'm not sure how middle school quizbowl works in Alabama, but for me the transition was almost entirely one of difficulty. The canon is going to expand and it can at times seem precipitous. I would suggest reading through high school regular difficulty packets and studying them to familiarize yourself with the HS canon.
My middle school quiz bowl experience was limited to a couple middle school History Bee events, but the transition from MS to HS was hard for me, too. I agree with the reading HS difficulty questions. Would also recommend going to as many high school events as you can. That'll also help you get familiarized with HS type questions.
Arianne Crosby
Los Alamitos High School '17
UC San Diego '20