Barrington Invitational Tournament XV (3.17.2018)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Barrington Invitational Tournament XV (3.17.2018)

Post by the return of AHAN »

Dear Scholastic Bowl Coach,
Your school is invited to participate in the fifteenth annual Barrington Invitational Scholastic Bowl Tournament on Saturday, March 17th, 2018. This tournament will be staged at Station Middle School, Barrington, IL (215 Eastern Ave). Each match will consist of 20 toss-up (individual) questions, and a maximum of 20 bonus (team) questions overall. This middle/junior high school tournament will be conducted using modified ACF rules to govern match play, which closely mirror the modern IHSA rules for scholastic bowl.
• All bonus questions will be 3 parts and worth a total of 30 points. Each part is asked one at a time, with the controlling team having up to 10 seconds (15 on math computations) to respond.
• Players on both teams may quietly confer, even while the bonus question is being read, but any such discussion should not disrupt the other team’s ability to hear the question.
• The first answer clearly directed towards the moderator will serve as the team’s answer. If conflicting answers are offered, the captain will be prompted to choose. If an answer is incorrect, the rebounding team will be offered a chance to answer within 5 seconds (or the remainder of time on math computation, if more than 5 seconds remain).
• If neither team answers correctly, the correct answer is read and the next bonus part is read to the controlling team.
Each team is limited to 8 players, and we are also only going to permit substitutions at halftime, or prior to overtime. Each school is welcome to enter multiple teams, but each team must be accompanied by an adult or high schooler. I am also going to only guarantee a moderator for each room, which means a coach from each team may need to share the scoring duties, unless the moderator wishes to keep their own score. Each school will be guaranteed seven games. As with the last few years, teams will be separated into three divisions, with a ‘challenge’ division, a ‘standard’ division, and a ‘B’ division. The first team entered from a given school must be in either the ‘challenge’ or ‘standard’ division; the second team can be entered into any division. The ‘challenge’ division is geared for teams that expect to win an IESA regional and vie for a sectional title, or plan to attend the Middle School National Championship Tournament in Chicago this year.
Please fax the attached reservation form as soon as possible, or send me an e-mail (jprice <at> barrington220<dot>org) to hold your spot. You are free to send the entry fee at a later time, but I would like to have all payments in hand by February 23rd. A letter of confirmation with further details will be e-mailed in early February. Entry fees will not be refunded to teams that withdraw after February 23rd, 2018. Please make checks payable to Station Middle School. When calculating your entry fees, it will be $100.00 for the 1st team, $75 for your 2nd team, minus $5/buzzer system you’ll be providing. Do not mail your check without confirming your entry and number of teams and buzzer systems with me.
We look forward to your participation on March 17th, 2018. Teams should arrive no later than 8:30 A.M. The final tournament games should conclude by 4:00 P.M.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Barrington Invitational Tournament XV (3.17.2018)

As always, I'm going to need as many staffers as I can muster. I pay a handsome stipend to college-age readers and up, and can sign off for volunteer service hours for current high school students that staff. Shoot me an email at jprice<at>barrington220<dot>org if you would like to staff.

STAFF
K. Strey
D. Taylor
T. Vaughan
A. Sperber
D. Minarik
M. Laudermith
R. Fedewa
B. Fischer
A. Nagib
M. Welmers
A. Nadig
K. Theobald
F. Hannon
C. Hannon
S. Hannon
M. Sorice
A. DeMay
C. Burnett
K. Schmidt
I. Ducharme
M. Laird
B. Lu
A. Silverman
G. Peterson
U. Capistran
A. Tomchik
D. Kiang
J. Nelson
W. Rohner
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 am, edited 26 times in total.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
the return of AHAN
Auron

FIELD:
26 schools, 58 teams (10 Challenge, 32 Standard, 16 "B")
Barrington Station x6 (2 Challenge, 3 Standard, 1 "B")
Palatine Quest x3 (1 Challenge, 1 Standard, 1 "B")
Elgin Einstein (1 standard)
Barrington St. Anne's x3 (1 standard, 2 "B")
Rockford Keith x2 (1 Challenge, 1 standard)
Lindenhurst Millburn x2 (2 standard)
Rockford Marshall x3 (1 Challenge, 1 Standard, 1 "B")
Arlington Heights Our Lady of the Wayside (1 standard)
Normal Metcalf (1 standard, 1 "B")
Chicago St. Edward's (1 standard)
Barrington Prairie x2 (1 Standard, 1 "B")
Bloomington JHS x2 (1 standard, 1 "B")
Springfield Franklin x3 (1 Challenge, 1 standard, 1 "B")
Elm Grove (WI) St. Mary's Visitation x4 (1 Challenge, 2 standard, 1 "B")
Cary JHS x2 (1 standard, 1"B")
Cary SS Peter & Paul x3 (2 standard, 1 "B")
Villa Park Albright (1 standard)
Mount Prospect St. Raymond x3 (2 standard, 1 "B")
Buffalo Grove Aptakisic x3 (1 Challenge, 1 Standard, 1"B")
Antioch UGS x2 (1 standard, 1"B")
Rolling Meadows Plum Grove x3 (2 standard, 1 "B")
Buffalo Grove Twin Groves (1 standard)
Rockford Galapagos x1 (1 standard)
Chicago Latin (1 standard)
Chicago Alphonsus x2 (1 Challenge, 1 standard)
Lisle Kindi (1 standard)
Last edited by the return of AHAN on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 am, edited 21 times in total.
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

Barrington Invitational XV is pleased to announce the use of PSACA's "Philly Cheesesteak" set for the Challenge Division, and the "SCOP MS-8" set for the Standard and "B" divisions!
Jeff Price
TheDoctor
Rikku

Post by TheDoctor »

For anyone interested in tracking stats on the day of the tournament, the tournament statistics will be updated at these links:

bit.ly/2018BarC for the Challenge Division
bit.ly/2018BarS for the Standard Division
bit.ly/2018BarB for the B Teams Division

I'll have sheets of paper with these links and, for those who find it more convenient, QR codes for each division at the stat table in the library during the tournament.
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Head Coach, Thurgood Marshall School (Rockford) (2022-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder
the return of AHAN
Auron

The results of the 15th Annual Barrington Invitational Tournament are in the books!!

CHALLENGE DIVISION (bit.ly/2018BarC):
Question Set: PSACA's Philly Cheesteak
1st: Rockford Keith A
2nd: Barrington Station A
3rd: Palatine Quest A
4th Springfield Franklin A

STANDARD DIVISION (bit.ly/2018BarS):
Question Set: SCOP-MS 8
1st: Barrington St. Anne's A
2nd: Springfield Franklin B
3rd: Mt. Prospect St. Raymond A
4th: Barrington Prairie A

Consolation Champions: Rolling Meadows Plum Grove B
Other Playoff pool winners: Chicago Alphonsus B, Palatine Quest B, Cary SS Peter & Paul A

"B" DIVISION (bit.ly/2018BarB):
Question Set: SCOP-MS 8
1st: Rockford Marshall C
2nd: Bloomington JHS B
3rd: Rolling Meadows Plum Grove B
4th: Barrington Prairie B

Special thanks to my incredible staff of Kristin Strey, Brad Fischer, Tyler Vaughan, Mike Laudermith, Bill Rohner, Mike Sorice, Colby Burnett, Ryan Fedewa, Greg Peterson, Jeremy Nelson, Mathew Laird, Ali Nagib, Adam Silverman, Andrew Nadig, Karl Schmidt, Irene Ducharme, Rusty Ducharme, Clare Hannon, Stephen Hannon, Frank Hannon, Dylan Minarik, Koby Theobald, Matthew Welmers, Adam Sperber, Bryan Lu, Ulysses Capistran, David Kiang, Alison Tomchik, Bissmun Gill, Gretchen Coleman, Kyle Asta, Michael Chmiel, Bryce Vist, Abraham Holtermann, Michelle Yang, Tarun Voruganti, Liam Starnes, Bryan Wan, Shreya Seetharam, Akul Joshi, Rishi Narayaran, Roxanne Tang, Nikolai Selin, Tyler Moncek, Will Asplin, Ryan Hawkinson, Cole Goodwin, Gavin Smith, Sean Varwig, David Varwig, Kevin Kodama, Ethan Park, Aidan Fein, Rohit Katakam, Grace Owen, Ben Yaney, Sindhu Nair, and Goma Srinivasan. I'd also like to thank my scholastic bowl parents for providing literally hundreds of dollars in support to provide a hospitality room for my staff, as well as lunches for our own players.

I'd also like to acknowledge the administration of Barrington Community Unit School District 220, without whose support this tournament would not be possible. Hosting a tournament of this magnitude requires custodial staff overtime hours, plus extra staff to handle concessions at lunch, never mind our assistant principal, Mr. Tim Haupt, giving up his Saturday, too, for nothing in return, other than to show his support for my endeavor to provide a great experience for my players and the other 300+ players from an area stretching from Milwaukee to Springfield. I'm deeply appreciative and humbled by all of the support everyone provides me.

If you're reading this, but didn't attend, there's nothing stopping you from coming to the 2019 Barrington Invitational Tournament! :smile:
Jeff Price