Hillview Middle School Tournament (Mar 24)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
njsbling
Rikku

Hillview Middle School Tournament (Mar 24)

Post by njsbling »

The Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance and Hillview Middle School are pleased to announce that Hillview will host a middle school quizbowl tournament on Saturday, March 24, 2018. This competition features separate JV and Varsity divisions; teams that are new to quiz bowl are encouraged to compete in the JV Division.

Location: This tournament will take place at Hillview Middle School, 1100 Elder Avenue, Menlo Park, California.

Questions: We will be using NAQT Middle School Series #26. This is the same set used at the March 17 Sacramento Tournament so schools that played there will not be able to play at Hillview and vice-versa. (For practice material similar to the questions we will use at the tournament, please consider the NAQT New Middle School Package.)

The top 15% of teams will qualify for the 2018 NAQT Middle School National Championship Tournament, to be held in Chicago, Illinois on May 12-13, 2018.

Eligibility: All middle schools (public, private, charter, religious, homeschool, etc.) are eligible to play in this event. This tournament is open to any players who have not yet completed 8th grade, though the questions are targeted at 7th and 8th graders.

Schools are encouraged to enter multiple teams, but please note that players must play for the same team throughout the tournament.

Fees:

Base fee: $60 per team

-$30 new to quizbowl (your school played no tournaments before February 1, 2018)

-$10 working buzzer system (must accommodate at least eight players)

-$10 experienced moderator

(minimum fee of $0)

Teams from Menlo Park public schools play for free.

Payment will be taken at check-in on March 24th.

Registration takes place on the NAQT website here => https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... nt_id=9387
[one must first have an account on the NAQT website in order to register]
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Hillview Middle School Tournament (Mar 24)

Post by Important Bird Area »

Check-in is at 9:15 am in room C-1.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Hillview Middle School Tournament (Mar 24)

Post by Important Bird Area »

Congratulations to our champions from BASIS Silicon Valley (varsity division) and Harker (jv division)!

Full team and individual statistics are now available on naqt.com.

Thanks to our host, Sue Kayton, and to all of the staff who made this tournament possible: Rohan Cherukuri, Michael Eng, Aaron Goldfein, Alistair Gray, Jack Hansen, Sam Hartanto, Alvin Huang, Ryan Le, Jerry Lin, Shivam Mani, Gavin Pereira, Jim Puls, Kevin Shen, and Carrie Weintraub.

Lost and found items: we located three jackets and a gray umbrella that were left in tournament game rooms. If one of these items belongs to you, please contact Coach Kayton.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred