IHSA 17-18

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mhasquin
Wakka

IHSA 17-18

Post by mhasquin »

Matt Hasquin
Scholastic Bowl Coach - Southwestern High School - Piasa, Illinois
IHSSBCA Chair (2018-2022)
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Re: IHSA 17-18

Post by El Salvadoreno »

Is there any reason why the seeds are not listed? Are they still seeded and then placed like they were previously or is it a new system?
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
mhasquin
Wakka

Post by mhasquin »

El Salvadoreno wrote:Is there any reason why the seeds are not listed? Are they still seeded and then placed like they were previously or is it a new system?
No idea why the seeds aren't listed.

It's still the same system. You can assume that the hosts are the higher seeds. It also looks like the regional hosts are listed with the top seed being first and then in descending order.

In our sectional, SW was the #1, Carlinville #2, New Berlin #3, and Hillsboro #4. Each top seed agreed to host. On the IHSA site, the regional sites are listed in that order within the sectional complex.
Matt Hasquin
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I can confirm that the same 1/2/3/4 order of Regionals is true for Pearl City (Byron/Keith/Newman/Winnebago) as it is in Southwestern's sectional; time will tell if it's true the whole way through. My guess is seeds'll go up once the brackets are set.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
mhasquin
Wakka

Post by mhasquin »

Matt Hasquin
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

IHSA Regionals are Monday. I hope everyone has a good experience with the set, and I encourage you to give me as much feedback as possible. A few notes:

*Regional questions are not clear until all scores are posted. You never know if a site has to get postponed, due to weather or other circumstances, until the IHSA ScoreZone is fully updated. Do not post question specifics online until that's done. The same will be true on Sectionals Saturday.

*Moderators and coaches will be given a link to an IHSA survey to provide general feedback about the set. There's an option to provide open feedback in that survey; you can also provide feedback by e-mailing Kraig Garber and myself directly. There is not an option for players to fill out that survey, but player feedback is also appreciated via e-mail and posts in this thread.

*The #1 form of feedback is stories of personal experience; #1a is statistical data, and the new IHSA scoresheet seeks to gather that for tossup and bonus part conversion. If you are hosting a regional or sectional, make sure your scorekeepers know how to fill out the scoresheet for what we need ("making sure that bonus scores are tracked by part and written in the correct columns" is basically enough to make it work), and make sure your scoresheets are scanned and e-mailed to Kraig Garber. Regional and Sectional managers were e-mailed a short instructional video and a sample scoresheet, both of which are on the IHSA's Scholastic Bowl web page.

Best of luck to all, and have a great tournament!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

A reminder - IHSA Sectionals questions are not cleared for discussion until all scores are posted on the IHSA ScoreZone, or until I post here saying that I've got all the missing scoresheets. Sectionals is particularly important for this; Round 3 scores have been posted before some Sectionals have finished playing Round 2 in past years, no different than how Class 3A Masonic state often finishes the morning a round ahead of Class 1A and 2A.

Good luck to all competitors!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

IHSA Sectionals results are all posted; congratulations to the winners, and good luck at State!

Discussion of IHSA Sectionals questions is now clear.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Congratulations to all the teams that played in Peoria today, particularly Williamsville and Stevenson.

If anyone has any feedback on the questions, I'd like to hear it. I'd also love to hear any good stories or anecdotes.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Dominator wrote:Congratulations to all the teams that played in Peoria today, particularly Williamsville and Stevenson.

If anyone has any feedback on the questions, I'd like to hear it. I'd also love to hear any good stories or anecdotes.
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
hcube
Lulu

Post by hcube »

Congrats to all the teams that played today, especially the really deserving champions Williamsville and Stevenson!

All I remember from today is negging "England" with "India" on the first line because I didn't listen to the "before his [Ramanujan's] death" part... ugh

edit: In all seriousness, the state set was wonderfully written--thanks to all of the great people who were involved with the production and playtesting of the set. Kudos especially to Dr. Prince, who kept the math interesting with his more "practical" answerlines such as pi/2, 36 degrees, 2, and 1/x.

I did feel that the final packet stepped up a lot in difficulty to between about HS+ and HS nats--for example, the tossups on "purines" and "rheumatoid arthritis" (I can't speak for anything except science), which seem to mostly come up at the college level. The bonuses were very challenging, as well.
Last edited by hcube on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanson Hao
IMSA 19
Stanford 23
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Thank you and congratulations to all the players and coaches for a fantastic state series! Williamsville and Stevenson put on incredibly impressive performances during their championship runs, and were absolutely forced to do so by their outstanding opponents.

It has been the honor of my career to watch the best players in the country play these questions. I need to thank the following people for their invaluable help in making this set what it was.
*First and foremost, Kraig Garber and the IHSA for giving us the resources, freedom, and support to make the best possible question set.
*The state moderators for their work today and yesterday in the prep meeting. I'd like to especially thank Sister John Baricevic, Rob Grierson, Elaine Seevers, Nick Pitz, Cathy Groesch, and Mike Sorice for their great help proofreading the State packets in advance.
*Kristin Strey and Tyler Vaughan for helping playtest the State packets during the quick turnaround between Sectionals and printing.
*Kristin and Jimmy for their patience, support, and love while I worked on this set - it's hard to "work from home" when you have to hide from your actively-coaching wife while doing it!

*Mr. Andrew Wang, whose science and mythology questions were incredible, and without whom we would have been lost.

*Dr. Noah Prince, whose math, literature, visual art, and religion questions were amazing, who set up and maintained our instance of Packetizor - a bonafide miracle of quizbowl labor that I cannot recommend too strongly to anyone writing a tournament - and who poured endless energy into making sure my work didn't go off the rails.

I have nothing but the deepest gratitude for you all. Thank you so very, very much!

Question discussion is open for the entire set; I want as much feedback as possible, and I'd love to hear more of the stories of today. I'll tell a few of mine a bit later; for now, I need to sleep and get ready for the next wave of Illinois quizbowl at Barrington tomorrow. :)
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Irreligion in Bangladesh wrote: *Mr. Andrew Wang, whose science and mythology questions were incredible, and without whom we would have been lost.
heterodyne wrote:While it's great that quality writers are taking over the production of IHSA questions, I'd just like to note that this certainly does not warrant referring to Andrew as Mr. Wang.
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

Borel hierarchy wrote:
Irreligion in Bangladesh wrote: *Mr. Andrew Wang, whose science and mythology questions were incredible, and without whom we would have been lost.
heterodyne wrote:While it's great that quality writers are taking over the production of IHSA questions, I'd just like to note that this certainly does not warrant referring to Andrew as Mr. Wang.
But he said Mr. Andrew Wang so it is fine.
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake