2018-19 NC discussion

This forum is for discussion and comparisons for southern states, including Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Arkansas and Louisiana.
jonathanshauf
Lulu

2018-19 NC discussion

Post by jonathanshauf » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:44 am

Use this thread to discuss tournaments, teams, and players in the state of North Carolina for the 2018-2019 season.
Jonathan Shauf, TJ Classical 2020

jonathanshauf
Lulu

Re: 2018-19 NC discussion

Post by jonathanshauf » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:20 pm

I guess I'll post my analysis first.

Early College look like they take a huge hit, losing Tejas and Sylvia. They return Derek and Ridge, but don't seem to retain much other significant scoring. I don't know what freshmen they bring in, but it's highly possible they gain some serious talent there, with the excellent feeder middle schools Guilford County has.

East Chapel Hill lose Vincent, but if I'm correct, they should gain middle school superstar Benjamin McAvoy-Bickford, who could instantly be one of the top high school players in the state. They retain most of their scoring outside of Vincent as well, so East Chapel Hill should certainly again be one of the top few teams in the state.

Raleigh Charter lose two very good players in Landon and Dhruv, but their immense depth should be able to cover the loss, especially if Ekartha continues to study and improve.

NCSSM lose the excellent trio of William, Stephen, and Jonathan, but retain Vittal, Aryan, and Andrew, and they usually gain good juniors too, so I expect them to be a force again.

Carrboro lose their lead scorer in Tejaz,but return Arun and presumably Jackson, so if those players improve to cover the loss of Tejaz, then Carrrboro could be good as well.

Myers Park didn't do terribly well at nationals, but they return their entire team, so if they study and improve as a team, they could be a dark horse team to make a run at state.

In general, I expect Early College's stranglehold to loosen, and there is a potential for ECH, RC, or NCSSM to surpass them at the top of the state.

jaguar19
Kimahri

Post by jaguar19 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:15 pm

Here are some predictions regarding the top teams in the state.

1. Early College at Guilford- The undisputed best team in the state for the last few years is also suffering one of the biggest losses, with the departure of Tejas and Sylvia. The loss of Tejas, who could score anywhere from 60 to 200 points per game, is an especially hard blow. However, Ridge and Derek have placed generally well in the rankings last year so they will likely be the ones carrying the team. In general, ECG will be still be an excellent team, just not as tough as before.

2. East Chapel Hill- The loss of Vincent is a big one, but they otherwise retains most of their strength, with Nick and Sophie having generally placed well individually. Plus, East usually gain players from Smith Middle School so they should continue to be one of the top teams in the state.

3. Raleigh Charter- Landon and Dhruv have graduated, but Arya, Ekartha, TJ, and Sam remain. Given the sheer size of their quiz bowl club and depth of knowledge that they cover, RC should be able to continue their winning streak, especially with the strength of the Sharma brothers.

4. NCSSM- They lose the trio of Jonathan, Stephen, and William, but retain Aryan, Vittal, and Andrew. While the three rising seniors are good players and will likely carry the team, whether they gain very much is another question altogether. NCSSM is a "supergroup" of players, meaning that they all came from another school before coming there. The aforementioned players for this upcoming year are from Ardrey Kell, Providence, and Guilford, respectively. However, there are not too many good players graduating in 2020 in the state of North Carolina, so that will be a factor in their performance this year.

5. Carrboro- With the loss of Tejaz and Jackson, we have a big challenge this year. Luckily, we retain Arun, who generally places well, and myself and Nick are working to improve our scoring, so how much we work will make or break our performance.
Aadit Nerkar
CHS Quiz Bowl, Class of 2019

jonathanshauf
Lulu

Post by jonathanshauf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Here's my top 5:

1. Early College at Guilford A
possible A-team: Derek Chen, Ridge Ren, Ben Johnson, Kiran Soma

I think Derek and Ridge are good enough to keep them atop the state, and might be able to make a run at HSNCT. My prediction is T-32 at HSNCT.

2. East Chapel Hill A
possible A-team: Nick Parker, Sophie Cronin, William Ke, Ewan Mitchell, Benjamin McAvoy-Bickford

They could potentially be just as good as last year. My HSNCT prediction is T-32 or T-51, though.

3. Raleigh Charter A
possible A-team: Ekartha Sharma, Arya Sharma, TJ Nanugonda, Sam Eshun Danquah

Roughly the same as last year. I say they finish T-51 again.

4. NCSSM A
possible A-team: Aryan Rai, Vittal Bhat, Andrew Fu, Sophie Israel

They attended NSC instead of HSNCT last year, where they finished 66th. I expect them to be about there again. If they attend HSNCT, I would peg them at T-105.

5. TJ Classical A
possible A-team: John Kim, Jonathan Shauf, Turner White, Cole Powell

I know I'm biased here, but I think this ranking is justified. We return the vast majority of our scoring at HSNCT in myself and John Kim. I would place us at a high non-playoff finish at HSNCT.