Tennessee 2018-2019

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Tennessee 2018-2019

Post by ShorterPearson »

Because the post-SuMO high is real, I am creating this post and we can even get started populating it.

Also think it's super-important, possibly more so this season than any other, to start working on a master contact list so that we can more intentionally coordinate with one another state-wide. There WILL be more activity in East Tennessee this year, specifically in and around Greeneville and Johnson City - so let us know if you're out there and interested.

And, in case you weren't aware, there's a end-of-summer open shindig coming together super-quick at Tusculum.

Follow @ShorterPearson on Twitter, hit up the Pearson Facebook, email [email protected], and let's figure out the best way to make this season awesome in West, Middle, AND East Tennessee.

pearson
Chuck Pearson
East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia quiz bowl flunky (and that won't change)
Vice President of Outreach (2018-2019), PACE (seriously, what even)
Associate Professor of Natural Science, Tusculum University (coming soon to a collegiate tournament in the Mid-South)
[email protected], @ShorterPearson where relevant
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Re: Tennessee 2018-2019

Post by ShorterPearson »

In this space shortly will be the standard date-claim calendar.

However, we're using this chance to make a preliminary announcement that the Secret City Classic will return at Oak Ridge High School on October 20th. Go ahead and make plans now, y'all. :)

chuck
Chuck Pearson
East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia quiz bowl flunky (and that won't change)
Vice President of Outreach (2018-2019), PACE (seriously, what even)
Associate Professor of Natural Science, Tusculum University (coming soon to a collegiate tournament in the Mid-South)
[email protected], @ShorterPearson where relevant
UhrmanRL
Kimahri

Re: Tennessee 2018-2019

Post by UhrmanRL »

Greetings!

The Inaugural White Station Middle School Winter Invitational Quiz Bowl Tournament will be held on Saturday, February 16th at:
5465 Mason Road, Memphis, TN 38120

This event will be capped at 32 total teams. Our current field is as follows:
Bon Lin A
Bon Lin B

The DEADLINE to register is just four weeks away (2/9/19). You are encouraged to pre-register at your earliest convenience at the link below (let me know if you have any problems using the NAQT online registration system):

https://www.naqt.com/registration/fees. ... t_id=10134

Basic Information:
  • We will be using NAQT Set 29, and this event will be held on Saturday, 2/16/19.
  • Doors open at 8AM, and registration from 8-8:30AM in the cafeteria.
  • Morning rounds 1-5 will run from approximately 9:00-12:30, followed by a break for lunch. After the lunch break, individual awards will be distributed and then we will move into the playoff rounds to determine our overall winners. The morning rounds will seed our bracket for afternoon playoffs.
  • We will use funds from an NAQT outreach grant to distribute free NAQT question sets and study materials for new programs attending their first event.
  • This will be a qualifying event for the 2019 Middle School National Championship Tournament (MSNCT) held in Chicago, IL from May 10-12.
  • Additionally! We will give away a FREE $320 buzzer system from the phenomenal people at www.buzzersystems.com. In my opinion, these are the best lockout buzzers available, and this is what we have used at WSMS since I first started sponsoring the Quiz Bowl Club. The only schools that are eligible to win are those that do not currently own a buzzer system. The system will be awarded to the highest scoring team (of eligible schools) after the morning rounds conclude. Ideally, this giveaway will help promote more active middle school quiz bowl programs in our area, which is the primary goal of this tournament. See the system we will give away here:https://buzzersystems.com/Ten_Player/in ... layers.htm
I encourage all interested coaches to contact me with any questions, comments, or concerns you might have about this event.

Thank you. We look forward to seeing you in February!
Robert Uhrman
East HS Quiz Bowl
Memphis, TN