Michigan 2017-2018 Schedule and Discussion

The comparison and discussion forum for Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri and Oklahoma.

Michigan 2017-2018 Schedule and Discussion

Postby tksaleija » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:21 am

I know Progcon had intentions to make a topic about this at some point, but with the season fast approaching, I thought it better to at least get this discussion up and running. Feel free to add tournaments (including dates, locations, and other pertinent info.) predictions, and discussions regarding the upcoming quiz bowl season in the state of Michigan.
Aleija Rodriguez
Monroe County Middle College '19
Monroe County Community College '19
tksaleija
Wakka

Re: Michigan 2017-2018 Schedule and Discussion

Postby Progcon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:16 pm

I was planning on making this thread once I knew some tournament dates. By this time last year, several coaches had contacted me. I might make a calendar sometime with tournament dates and dates to avoid (standardized test dates). At any rate, Michigan State is planning on hosting our fall tournament on October 14th. Details are to follow but we will probably be using a mACF housewrite.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University 2015-
MSU Academic Competition Club President 2016-
Progcon
Rikku

Postby tksaleija » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:16 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20262

MSU Fall Kickoff info.
Aleija Rodriguez
tksaleija
Wakka

Postby tksaleija » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:48 pm

I know this is in Ohio, but for lower Michigan teams, the Columbian Expo might be an option. All the info is here. Only 3 teams have registered so far: https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... nt_id=8491
Aleija Rodriguez
tksaleija
Wakka

Postby tksaleija » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:51 am

Below is a link with information about the DCC Scop Novice 8 Tournament in October

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20369
Aleija Rodriguez
tksaleija
Wakka

Postby Progcon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:23 pm

Might want to consolidate all these links into a long form calendar as I had last year. Anyway, I have two pieces of news. First, is that MSU is planning on hosting our annual Rube Goldberg tournament on January 27, 2018. Please contact me ASAP if this poses issues for your team or there is an exiting conflict. I do not want to change the date, but if multiple teams have a big scheduling issue, it may be moved to earlier in the month. EDIT: we will be using NAQT's IS-170.

I have also learned that the Michigan State Championship (the one sponsored by Meijer and hosted by the MSU Honors College) will be using NAQT questions this year. This continues what we believe is a positive trend of using pyramidal questions at this tournament.
Last edited by Progcon on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harris Bunker
Progcon
Rikku

Postby tksaleija » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Progcon wrote:Might want to consolidate all these links into a long form calendar as I had last year. Anyway, I have two pieces of news. First, is that MSU is planning on hosting our annual Rube Goldberg tournament on January 27, 2018. Please contact me ASAP if this poses issues for your team or there is an exiting conflict. I do not want to change the date, but if multiple teams have a big scheduling issue, it may be moved to earlier in the month.

I have also learned that the Michigan State Championship (the one sponsored by Meijer and hosted by the MSU Honors College) will be using NAQT questions this year. This continues what we believe is a positive trend of using pyramidal questions at this tournament.

Do you know if the Fall Kickoff still has openings? My school wants to register but we're still holding tryouts and weren't sure if rosters needed to be finalized before registering.
Aleija Rodriguez
tksaleija
Wakka

Postby CPiGuy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Progcon wrote:I have also learned that the Michigan State Championship (the one sponsored by Meijer and hosted by the MSU Honors College) will be using NAQT questions this year. This continues what we believe is a positive trend of using pyramidal questions at this tournament.

Does this mean that the existing "NAQT Michigan State Championship" tournament which Michigan and MSU alternated hosting will no longer happen, or that they will be consolidated?
Conor Thompson
Bangor HS (Maine) '16
Michigan '20
CPiGuy
Rikku

Postby Progcon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:19 am

I'm in an airport so I will edit this reply later. No, there will be both a NAQT state championship, with its unique HSNCT qualification procedure hosted by us and there will the traditional state championship sponsored by Meijer. The latter event will also run NAQT questions. I have no desire to combine the two tournaments for many reasons I will get into if you contact me privately.
Harris Bunker
Progcon
Rikku

Postby CPiGuy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:18 pm

So, for the winter/spring:

MSU is hosting Rube Goldberg (Jan. 27)

Michigan is hosting our first Winter Invitational (Feb. 10)

and then MSU is hosting NAQT States and the state tournament.
Conor Thompson
Bangor HS (Maine) '16
Michigan '20
CPiGuy
Rikku

Postby tksaleija » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:30 pm

CPiGuy wrote:and then MSU is hosting NAQT States and the state tournament.

Furthermore, the tentative info for these is:
1) NAQT States is April 7th and hosted by the MSU Academic Competition Club. They will be using a variation of SCT-18.
2. The state tournament is April 20-21, hosted by the MSU Honors College. They will be using IS-174 and IS-175A.
Aleija Rodriguez
tksaleija
Wakka

Postby Important Bird Area » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Progcon wrote:No, there will be both a NAQT state championship, with its unique HSNCT qualification procedure hosted by us and there will the traditional state championship sponsored by Meijer.

Apologies for the late posting, but for the record: NAQT state championships now use the same qualification procedures found at other regular-season NAQT tournaments.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Postby tksaleija » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Important Bird Area wrote:
Progcon wrote:No, there will be both a NAQT state championship, with its unique HSNCT qualification procedure hosted by us and there will the traditional state championship sponsored by Meijer.

Apologies for the late posting, but for the record: NAQT state championships now use the same qualification procedures found at other regular-season NAQT tournaments.

Does this mean that only the top 30% of teams at an NAQT tournament may attend NAQT states?
Aleija Rodriguez
tksaleija
Wakka

Postby jonah » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:02 pm

tksaleija wrote:Does this mean that only the top 30% of teams at an NAQT tournament may attend NAQT states?
Who may attend a state championship is up to the tournament director.

The top 15% of eligible teams at an NAQT state championship will qualify for the HSNCT.

The top 30% of small school teams (separately for each SSNCT division) at an NAQT state championship will qualify for the SSNCT.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Postby Progcon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:52 pm

When was this changed? I have been under the impression that the top placing team at each state's NAQT state tournament automatically qualified for HSNCT. I remember this being the procedure in the past almost surely.
Harris Bunker
Progcon
Rikku

Postby CGismondiCC » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 pm

CPiGuy wrote:So, for the winter/spring:

MSU is hosting Rube Goldberg (Jan. 27)

Michigan is hosting our first Winter Invitational (Feb. 10)

and then MSU is hosting NAQT States and the state tournament.

DCC will try to host another Spring tournament in May on SSNCT as well.
Christopher J. Gismondi, Detroit Catholic Catholic Central Head Coach
CGismondiCC
Wakka

Postby jonah » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:53 am

Progcon wrote:
When was this changed? I have been under the impression that the top placing team at each state's NAQT state tournament automatically qualified for HSNCT. I remember this being the procedure in the past almost surely.
I don't understand your second sentence. It has always been (and remains) true that the top team at each NAQT state championship qualifies for the HSNCT, since such a team would necessarily be in the top 15%. (This doesn't apply to things like "JV State Championships" or other events that aren't qualifiers regardless.)

In the 2015–2016 competition year and earlier*, NAQT state championships were guaranteed to produce at least one new invitation to the HSNCT and (after the SSNCT was created) for the SSNCT (unless all applicable teams had already qualified). That policy was ended beginning with the 2016–2017 competition year. It is possible that you are referring to some version of this change.

*Offhand, I'm not sure since when, but it doesn't matter.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Postby Important Bird Area » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:12 am

It's also possible this might be a reference to our old "reserved berth" policy, which changed starting in fall 2014.

naqt.com in 2014 wrote:NAQT wants to highlight a change in its reserved-berth policy for the 2015 (and subsequent) HSNCTs. Instead of reserving a berth for every (division of every) state championship, we will be limiting the practice to state championships in areas of the country with limited participation.

(Reasoning behind this change:

In the early years of HSNCT, we reserved a berth for each state's champion in order to make sure that HSNCT had a geographically diverse field of the very best teams from around the country. As the HSNCT itself expanded in size, and as NAQT began supplying questions to many more local tournaments held earlier in the season, it eventually became the case that a majority of the reserved berths were dissolved because the teams winning state championships had already registered for nationals. By 2013 or so, the reserved-berth policy was actually keeping teams _out_ of HSNCT because the field filled before many state championships happened. So we decided to end the policy and treat state championships like any other tournament for qualification purposes.)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Postby Progcon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:07 pm

jonah wrote:
Progcon wrote:
I don't understand your second sentence. It has always been (and remains) true that the top team at each NAQT state championship qualifies for the HSNCT, since such a team would necessarily be in the top 15%. (This doesn't apply to things like "JV State Championships" or other events that aren't be qualifiers regardless.)

In the 2015–2016 competition year and earlier*, NAQT state championships were guaranteed to produce at least one new invitation to the HSNCT and (after the SSNCT was created) for the SSNCT (unless all applicable teams had already qualified). That policy was ended beginning with the 2016–2017 competition year. It is possible that you are referring to some version of this change.

*Offhand, I'm not sure since when, but it doesn't matter.

Thank you for the clarification. The reasoning for the change makes perfect sense, but I was not alerted (or more likely, did not remember) of this change. It doesn't really affect the way we'll be hosting NAQT Michigan this year or anything, but I just want to be able to tell teams accurate information. Again, thanks Jonah and Jeff.
Harris Bunker
Progcon
Rikku

Postby tksaleija » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:38 pm

I know this isnt a Michigan tournament, but for all south Michigan teams, here's something that might be good: https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... nt_id=8495

It's the Eastwood Invitational In Pemberville, OH on March 3rd. Field's a little small now, so I'm hoping a signal boost might perk things up.
Aleija Rodriguez
tksaleija
Wakka

Postby CPiGuy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:09 pm

CPiGuy wrote:Michigan is hosting our first Winter Invitational (Feb. 10)

This has been postponed until March 10th because of snow.
Conor Thompson
Bangor HS (Maine) '16
Michigan '20
CPiGuy
Rikku

Return to Great Lakes Comparisons and Discussion