NAQT Proofreading

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

NAQT Proofreading

Post by High Dependency Unit »

I was reading at a tournament using NAQT's MS-13 earlier today, and I noticed several (at least five, perhaps as much as 10+, either way it was incredibly noticeable to me and a teammate of mine who was also reading) typos, grammatical errors, and instances where entire words such as "that, of, this, the, etc." were missing. It was annoying and frustrating to read through those and fix those mistakes while reading the questions to the teams, and I know of at least one room where the moderator said exactly what was on the packet rather than fixing those mistakes. Mistakes like this are certainly capable of confusing players who are attempting to answer the question, and I can see this occasionally affecting the outcome of a game, although almost as importantly it is almost certainly frustrating and confusing for players or moderators when they hear or read something like "This paining" (and yes, I believe that was one of the typos today".

Considering that the NAQT page where they advertise for new writers says, "Please proofread your questions to make sure that both tossups and bonuses are factually accurate and grammatically correct", I think (or at least hope) that NAQT at least understands the importance of correct spelling and grammar in its published materials, although it does seem to be a little hypocritical. Still, what is NAQT's policy on proofreading? It certainly doesn't seem like this set was looked through, and if it was, I'd hate to imagine what the previous copy looked like. Does anyone else believe that this is important? Although the questions were good, the amount of errors certainly made everything seem less professional (I guess that would be a good term for it).

Edit: Caught a typo (actually-this is why you proofread).
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: NAQT Proofreading

Post by Important Bird Area »

Mucho Macho Man wrote:"This paining"
I believe I just caught and fixed this one.

Obviously we do proofread to the best of our ability; our apologies that MS #13 fell short of our usual standards.

We welcome corrections and comments (email to [email protected]).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:our apologies that MS #13 fell short of our usual standards.
If you keep this up people will start switching to Los Zetas.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Ukonvasara wrote:
bird bird bird bird bird wrote:our apologies that MS #13 fell short of our usual standards.
If you keep this up people will start switching to Los Zetas.
ANSWER: _Cocaine_
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever