Questions Galore Bought by Avery

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cchiego
Yuna

Questions Galore Bought by Avery

Post by cchiego »

Everyone's least-favorite bad quizbowl question "writer" just sold out to Avery Enterprises. Let's hope that might be an improvement for IESA since Avery, at least, seems somewhat aware of pyramidality and the importance of avoiding hoses.

Also, apparently Albania has quizbowl? Who knew.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
bretthogan43
Lulu

Re: Questions Galore Bought by Avery

Post by bretthogan43 »

The low-level circuit (or as it is more commonly known, "county championship") that my high school competes in has ran off of Questions Galore sets for decades, and every year I for the most feel that the questions are much easier than they should be. Maybe by the time our tournament rolls around in December this will have a profound impact and wipe out what is pretty much the last bastion of bad quizbowl in our area.
Brett Hogan
former player, Wallace State Community College
Athens State University alumni
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

Well, they won't be missed! Let's be glad that there's one less producer of execrable questions in this world.
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

bretthogan43 wrote:The low-level circuit (or as it is more commonly known, "county championship") that my high school competes in has ran off of Questions Galore sets for decades, and every year I for the most feel that the questions are much easier than they should be. Maybe by the time our tournament rolls around in December this will have a profound impact and wipe out what is pretty much the last bastion of bad quizbowl in our area.
I always felt the questions were more flat-out terrible than "easy." Sure, some of them are too easy, but I can specifically recall a question in the first round of last year's league on an artist whom I can't remember the name of right now that I negged on, only to look up later on Quinterest and find only one result which was from a past ACF Nationals. Either way, maybe the regular season questions will improve now since QG was bought out and the county tournament has been on NAQT questions the past two years.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

The Cullman County regular season rounds are being bought from HSAPQ this year.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
bolshevik
Lulu

Post by bolshevik »

Our conference varsity matches use MSHSAA-style questions provided by NAQT but JV matches have always used questions provided by QG. I wonder how their upcoming season will be affected by this.
Em Powers (they/them)
WUSTL 2023