Google Doc Hack

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Google Doc Hack

Post by AKKOLADE »

Since so many tournaments are run via Google Docs, everyone should be aware that there is a particularly potent phishing scheme going around as a fake invitation to edit a Google Doc.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: Google Doc Hack

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I've gotten this email on the three different emails I use for quizbowl purposes, so please be careful if you get this email! If you accidentally click on it, make sure you hit Deny.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

I also got hit by this today, looked just like this:
Attachments
google doc phishing email screenshot.png
(18.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

What is particularly nasty about this hack is that if you open the e-mail, it spreads the e-mail to all your contacts so the e-mail cannot be shared under any circumstances. The way to delete without opening it is to check (as in, check the box next to) the e-mail, move to spam, check it again, and delete forever. This should delete the emails without your personals being taken or the email spreading.
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

El Salvadoreno wrote:What is particularly nasty about this hack is that if you open the e-mail, it spreads the e-mail to all your contacts so the e-mail cannot be shared under any circumstances. The way to delete without opening it is to check (as in, check the box next to) the e-mail, move to spam, check it again, and delete forever. This should delete the emails without your personals being taken or the email spreading.
I don't believe it's possible for an email to work in such a way (i.e., magically forwarding itself after only having been opened). Is there a source that suggests otherwise?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:
El Salvadoreno wrote:What is particularly nasty about this hack is that if you open the e-mail, it spreads the e-mail to all your contacts so the e-mail cannot be shared under any circumstances. The way to delete without opening it is to check (as in, check the box next to) the e-mail, move to spam, check it again, and delete forever. This should delete the emails without your personals being taken or the email spreading.
I don't believe it's possible for an email to work in such a way (i.e., magically forwarding itself after only having been opened). Is there a source that suggests otherwise?
Okay, so from some (admittedly quick) research, it is not opening the e-mail but attempting to open the "doc" that causes it to spread (source CNN). Given this, I am not sure this is necessary, but extra precautions never hurt anybody.
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:
No, I don't think so – as far as I know, the actual way the worm spreads is when you click the "open" button, after which you're taken to a real google account login prompt that lists all the google accounts you have accessed on your computer so far. Then, it prompts you to give "Google Docs" access to your account, which is not actually google docs, but instead emails all of your contacts with the same email. (I speak from personal experience whoops) It looks like google has also shut down the fake "Google Docs" service and anything else relating to it

edit: ninja'd
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028