Quiz bowl documentaries

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
idek
Lulu

Quiz bowl documentaries

Post by idek »

Does anyone have some good documentaries on "quiz bowl" subjects? As an example, I really liked The Stanford Prison Experiement, and it gave me a lot of really good, quality, knowledge.
Vishal Sivamani
Coppell
tksaleija
Wakka

Re: Quiz bowl documentaries

Post by tksaleija »

My suggestion is to rewatch that same documentary repeatedly because it's fantastic and very factually-based (this is semi-sarcastic but seriously, I could talk about TSPE for hours).
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
The Squamous Homarid
Lulu

Post by The Squamous Homarid »

For anyone who likes history, I recommend the 8-part Romanov documentary. It is very in-depth, the production value is astonishingly high, and it not only helps you learn about the Romanov dynasty in Russia but also gives a lot of information on the wars and other royal families of Northern and Eastern Europe.
Waley He
Team Captain, Charter School of Wilmington '19
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

Takanashi Rikka wrote:For anyone who likes history, I recommend the 8-part Romanov documentary. It is very in-depth, the production value is astonishingly high, and it not only helps you learn about the Romanov dynasty in Russia but also gives a lot of information on the wars and other royal families of Northern and Eastern Europe.
How long are the episodes and where can they be viewed?
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov
Lulu

Post by Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov »

youtube
Nick Rommel
Lexington Quizbowl President '17-'18

"Cloud forests in this mountain range-" BUZZ "Andes Mountains"
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

I've been thinking about this for a while, and finally got around to writing about it. There's a few options:

There are the long, multiple part ones, like the ones ken burns does. Some people really like those! I don't, but I did really like one done on New Zealand called Revolution. It's all about the effects of Rogernomics, and is v interesting.

Besides that, I have a couple of suggestions. Nick Broomfield docs are fun, and definitely teach you a lot about their invariably scuzzy subject matter. For quizbowl purposes, maybe The Leader, the Driver, and the Driver's Wife?

I've only seen a couple, but Adam Curtis docs are very "quizbowl-ly" to me. They're full of asides, digressions, and footnotes, and generally pretty fun to watch. I really liked Bitter Lake.

There are also, of course, the documentaries that would come up in questions. At the high school level, this is few and far between, but Nanook of the North and Man with a Movie Camera are probably your best bets for those, iirc. (also, you should see them anyway)
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18