How do I become a moderator?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Gezundheit
Kimahri

How do I become a moderator?

Post by Gezundheit »

Who do I talk to to become a moderator? I see no clear resources or hubs online, but I’d really like to do it. I am in the Madison, WI area if that matters.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
a Joe
Rikku

Re: How do I become a moderator?

Post by a Joe »

1) You ensure that you speak (English, of course) very well, accurately, and with good diction/pronunciations.
2) You familiarize yourself with the rules.
3) You email the director of the tournament that you'd like to read at and say you'd like to help out and be a moderator. They most likely would be happy to have you.
4) You don't back out at any time unless absolutely necessary, and understand that if you do multiple times you won't be very welcome.
5) You show up and read with professionalism, courtesy, and seriousness (but not without a joke or two.)

Pretty sure that's it, unless someone realizes something I forgot.
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

If you are willing to drive three hours each way to New Trier High School on October 28, you can moderate then. A calendar of Illinois tournaments is here. If you don't want to travel, figure out who is running the team at UW and contact them.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

You become a moderator just by offering to do it. Most tournaments can use more staff. When there's a tournament near you, message the organizers and offer to staff -- this will usually be a help to them.

You also need to be able to read out loud quickly and clearly. If that's difficult, you may wish instead to become a scorekeeper, which is also fun.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Gezundheit wrote:Who do I talk to to become a moderator? I see no clear resources or hubs online, but I’d really like to do it. I am in the Madison, WI area if that matters.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
PACE has some good tips for moderators on their site.

By the way, I live in Madison and frequently read at tournaments in Rockford, NIU, and Chicago, if you ever want folks to carpool with.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Additionally, if you sign up for an account at NAQT.com, you can get notifications when tournaments are announced as being run on NAQT questions in a radius of your choice near Madison (or anywhere, for that matter).
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present