IQBT was looking for an experienced HS editor or 2

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

IQBT was looking for an experienced HS editor or 2

Post by AKKOLADE »

Due to a lack of interest, the described program below won't be happening this year

IQBT is looking to hire editors experienced with producing quality question sets ranging from high school regular difficulty to HSNCT/NSC difficulty for a project involving question feedback. Written communication skills are a must.

This project is unrelated to production of a set.

If you're interested, please email me at [email protected]. Don't expect a response until after NASAT, though. Please mention what sets you've worked on previously, as well as what your role was with those sets.
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: IQBT is looking for an experienced HS editor or 2

Post by AKKOLADE »

Coming out of the summer, I'd like to get this launched. If you're interested in contributing to this project, please contact me with the above information.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

How do you see this differing from PACE's writing mentorship program? In your capacity as PACE president, why do you believe community resources are better used on this program than on PACE's?
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've been traveling this past week; I will try to respond to this tomorrow.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Here are ways in which it is different:

1) The scheduling for it is determined by the people interested in being advised .
2) The writer's questions will be uncommitted and can be used in any tournament that the advisor is not playing.
3) If the writer is deemed skilled enough to write for NASAT, I will approach them about writing for NASAT. If writing for NASAT is not of interest to them or if they do a better job of writing at other difficulty levels, I'd be happy to champion them as a writer for other roles on other sets.

I believe having this program available in addition to the PACE one is good as it is an additional forum for writers to get feedback, assuming IQBT gets people who are interested in acting as editors for this.
Fred Morlan
heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

I don't really see how these differences make a big difference on the user end. I'm more interested in how this program improves that user experience - you say that it's an additional forum to get feedback, but I'm not sure why that's more helpful than just doing more for the PACE program.

I don't think you really addressed my second question. The community has a limited number of experienced editors capable of giving feedback on questions, and those editors have a limited amount of time. They will, necessarily, need to choose whether to use that time on PACE's program or this one. By creating this, you seem to imply that their time is better used here than on PACE's program - or at least that you want some people to use time here instead. As PACE's president, wouldn't you want PACE's program to perform as well as possible? As a community member, I also happen to think that it would be more efficient to concentrate these resources. Do you disagree?
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

heterodyne wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 pm I don't really see how these differences make a big difference on the user end. I'm more interested in how this program improves that user experience - you say that it's an additional forum to get feedback, but I'm not sure why that's more helpful than just doing more for the PACE program.
Really? I just reread both program descriptions, and I think if I were choosing one based solely on the forum posts, the IQBT one (though incredibly terse) seems to offer enough extra flexibility to make a difference to the user.
heterodyne wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:33 pm I don't think you really addressed my second question. The community has a limited number of experienced editors capable of giving feedback on questions, and those editors have a limited amount of time. They will, necessarily, need to choose whether to use that time on PACE's program or this one. By creating this, you seem to imply that their time is better used here than on PACE's program - or at least that you want some people to use time here instead. As PACE's president, wouldn't you want PACE's program to perform as well as possible? As a community member, I also happen to think that it would be more efficient to concentrate these resources. Do you disagree?
Is this actually the core of your argument? It's fine if the answer is yes. I, too, think that quizbowl would be better if we could all cooperate, but this program hardly stands out in the sense of violating quizbowl norms. If your argument is that this program introduces a conflict of interest in two different roles Fred is playing, as opposed to that IQBT is doing something inherently bad, let's have that conversation.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

I'm sorry if I wasn't super clear - I think that *both* the inefficiency and the potential conflict of interest are concerns, the latter more than the former.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I don't see this as using additional community resources; there are people who are capable of providing the level of feedback this program would require that are not editors for this year's NSC. The people who would be recruited as editing trainees by the PACE program would not be who I'm looking for to act as someone providing feedback.

There's also enough potential writers out there that the IQBT program will not cause a production shortfall for the NSC.

My plan was to have writers pay $20 with their submission, with 90%+ of that going to the editor. This would have been a way to use IQBT's corporate status as a way to financially incentivize experienced editors to provide feedback to writers while I handled the organizational aspects of it.

I honestly believe there is room for both this program, the PACE program, and NAQT's internal tutoring to exist at the same time. I do not see where there's such a shortfall in experienced editors that any of these would limit the success of the others.

Finally, I announced this program before I was even nominated for the presidency of PACE, and at a time when I did not plan on running for that office.

All of this is moot since I've received zero interest from people on either the writing or editing ends of it, and have heard nothing new from anyone that indicates this is on the verge of changing.
Fred Morlan