IQBTee Shirts

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

IQBTee Shirts

Post by AKKOLADE »

International Quiz Bowl Tournaments will begin selling t-shirts at the end of this month.

I'll be posting details on how to order them once that's set up.

Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Re: IQBTee Shirts

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Can you explain the "girl fifteen" one with the whale? I guess "girl power" (?), but what's with the whale?
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Girl power. I just liked the whale.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

I have serious concerns with the contents of these shirts, both of these make some sense in the context of quizbowl but I would absolutely not want to wear them in public. As you know, the usual definition of negging is something totally different and entirely negative and the second shirt seems like it’s talking about 15 year old girls. I would definitely not want to wear these or buy them for someone, and I urge you to reconsider their content before producing them.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I love the idea of the second shirt, but I wish the content could be clearer--celebrating women's participation and accomplishments in quizbowl is fantastic, but the message seems vague and easily misinterpreted.

That said, I do not have any ideas for a replacement image.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Cheynem wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:08 pm I love the idea of the second shirt, but I wish the content could be clearer--celebrating women's participation and accomplishments in quizbowl is fantastic, but the message seems vague and easily misinterpreted.

That said, I do not have any ideas for a replacement image.
To poach an idea from several previous QB shirt designs, perhaps a powermark before the word "power" would make the message clearer and less prone to misinterpretation by non-QBers? I agree that the first shirt, while fine in a Quizbowl context, would read very very poorly outside it.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

How would non-qbers know what a power mark is?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Cheynem wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:45 pm How would non-qbers know what a power mark is?
a quick urbandictionary search informs me it's an informal way to display an anus in chat
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Wartortullian
Rikku

Post by Wartortullian »

Cheynem wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:45 pm How would non-qbers know what a power mark is?
They may not get the joke, but they'll at least get that "girl (*) power" is something related to, y'know, girl power.
Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:46 pm a quick urbandictionary search informs me it's an informal way to display an anus in chat
Are most people going to associate it with an anus, though? A lot of entries on Urban Dictionary are incredibly obscure and don't reflect common usage.
Matt
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:46 pm
a quick urbandictionary search informs me it's an informal way to display an anus in chat
Oops that's probably a bad idea too then
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

These shirts have already been ordered. This being the first time I've ordered with Custom Ink, I'm not sure what their policy is on changing designs.

The "fifteen" design was too clever by half. I've requested that they change it to read "girl (*) power" to avoid any misunderstandings. I'm not concerned about any issues with people misinterpreting the power mark; at some point, I think this becomes a willful misreading issue and I'm not going to worry about that.

I didn't really envision these being worn outside of the setting of a tournament or other quiz bowl event, and thus didn't consider the possibility of the other meaning of neg causing an issue. That said, my reaction is still to not be all that concerned about the 'tfw u neg' design - I think the likelihood that someone would interpret the shirt as 'actually, I am an enthusiast of insulting women to manipulate them into being more attracted to me" is really low. But if people are still sufficiently concerned about it, I'll see about changing it or canceling it.
Fred Morlan
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

AKKOLADE wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:43 pm Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

These shirts have already been ordered. This being the first time I've ordered with Custom Ink, I'm not sure what their policy is on changing designs.

The "fifteen" design was too clever by half. I've requested that they change it to read "girl (*) power" to avoid any misunderstandings. I'm not concerned about any issues with people misinterpreting the power mark; at some point, I think this becomes a willful misreading issue and I'm not going to worry about that.

I didn't really envision these being worn outside of the setting of a tournament or other quiz bowl event, and thus didn't consider the possibility of the other meaning of neg causing an issue. That said, my reaction is still to not be all that concerned about the 'tfw u neg' design - I think the likelihood that someone would interpret the shirt as 'actually, I am an enthusiast of insulting women to manipulate them into being more attracted to me" is really low. But if people are still sufficiently concerned about it, I'll see about changing it or canceling it.
I think people are having this reaction because they would love to proudly wear quizbowl shirts that could lead to their friends being excited and interested, rather than having to drop money on shirts that basically can't be worn outside of a quizbowl setting due to a combo of hardcore in-jokiness and using a word that is literally only used in the pickup artist sense outside of quizbowl.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
El Salvadoreno
Rikku

Post by El Salvadoreno »

vinteuil wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:25 pm
AKKOLADE wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:43 pm Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I think people are having this reaction because they would love to proudly wear quizbowl shirts that could lead to their friends being excited and interested, rather than having to drop money on shirts that basically can't be worn outside of a quizbowl setting due to a combo of hardcore in-jokiness and using a word that is literally only used in the pickup artist sense outside of quizbowl.
I feel like a simple solution would be to put “-5” instead of “neg” since a lot of moderators say that and that is not as open to misreadings.
Ricky "Slick Rick/Rico Suave" Rivera
Carmel Catholic- Class of '17
Notre Dame (Mendoza)- Class of '22

My Namesake