Greatest Upsets in Quizbowl History

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.

Re: Greatest Upsets in Quizbowl History

Postby dtaylor4 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Sit Room Guy wrote:Does it count as an upset if it's on substandard questions? If so, Dunlap v. Stevenson at IHSA State this year.

Doesn't count if the packet itself won.
Donald Taylor
Springfield, IL
(Decatur) MacArthur '05/UIUC '09 BS Accountancy/'10 Master of Accounting Science
Freelance writer, staffer, stats guru, TD

Where is Christchurch? That's in Queensland
Where is Palmerston North? That's in New South Wales
dtaylor4
Auron

Postby Aaron Manby (ironmaster) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Sigurd wrote:On a smaller note, McGill upsetting Columbia to make the top bracket also deserves a mention.

I'm glad to be a member of the worst top bracket team ever. We've always had a good matchup against Columbia for some reason. Also having the original 3rd seed missing their best player helped.

touchpack wrote:There's a 6th possibility here: Your team is better than the stats (PPB) indicate, so what is viewed as an upset is not necessarily an upset.

So, the standard stat used to compare teams, especially from different reasons is PPB, because 1) the correlation between PPB and quizbowl performance is pretty good and 2) there just isn't a better stat out there. However, games are not won by converting bonuses, games are won by getting tossups.

This seems to be a trend with us too, looking back at last year's ICT and 2015 CO. Derek's really good. The rest of us aren't, leaving way too many bonuses unanswered even though he can get the majority of the tossups in a game.
Joe Su
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 20--

The highlight of CO is drinking liquid ice cream and wearing the Canadian flag like a cape
Aaron Manby (ironmaster)
Tidus

Postby CPiGuy » Wed May 03, 2017 8:21 pm

CPiGuy wrote:
Ike wrote:I'll PM you with specifics. I would post the specific instances of this story here, but the set is not clear -- so I'll definitely do that once Terrapin is clear.

Ike

I *think* Terrapin is clear now?

Terrapin is definitely clear now, and the set posted. (I was reminded of this by Will Alston's mention of said tournament in the player poll thread).
Conor Thompson
Bangor HS (Maine) '16
Michigan '20
CPiGuy
Rikku

Postby bretthogan43 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Back on the 4th of March of this year, a bunch of hicks from Fairview kept pace with Alabama "Small School" state champs East Lawrence and eventually beat them on the last tossup. Might not mean much to anyone else but I think it qualifies as an "upset" and deserves a mention.
Brett Hogan
Wallace State Community College
bretthogan43
Lulu

Postby rylltraka » Fri May 05, 2017 5:19 pm

gyre and gimble wrote:Chicago Open 2012, Dharma and Greg Bums over In Soviet Russia, Tournament Edits You. A team of myself, Mik Larsen, Alex Gerten, and Tirth Patel, which went 7-9 over the course of the tournament, beat Jonathan Magin, Bruce Arthur, Will Butler, and Jerry Vinokurov, who went 13-3 and, had they won, would have been in a final against a team they had already beaten.

In terms of the varieties of upset that have been discussed in this thread, this game definitely had the "advantage-killing neg" and "niche topic comes up for underdog" motifs in play. ISRTEY suffered four negs to our none, none of their players had a breakout scoring rush (Magin had 40), and we hung around off vulched tossups despite poor bonus conversion (they answered 8 w/15 PPB, us 9 w/11). Stephen had been doing most of the buzzing for us, and I, having an up-and-down tournament, had been doing my best impression of a rock.

We're down 15 going into the final tossup, I believe, and it happens to be on the Watts Towers, a tourist attraction in south LA that I had visited the previous year, and where I'd watched the informative video in the visitor center (and thus knew every single clue in power). It was probably the one TU in the tournament that I could have answered before anyone else in the field.
Last edited by rylltraka on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
rylltraka
Rikku

Postby AGoodMan » Tue May 16, 2017 12:14 pm

Obviously not as big or important as many most other matches mentioned here, but at the 2016 ATROPHY at Northern Illinois University (run on BHSAT), my high school team, Wheaton Warrenville South, beat the Rockford Auburn A team 390-315. That Auburn team featured 3 All-State players (Cole Timmerwilke, Ethan Strombeck, and Henry Roe), and Cole was also All-World and #3 scorer at HSNCT (in ppg and powers). We didn't even hit 20ppb on the set (Auburn hit 23+), and Auburn also had almost double the number of powers that we did (29 vs. 56). We just hit a good packet that round and played conservatively.
Jonathan Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South '16
Harvard '20
AGoodMan
Wakka

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Tue May 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Columbia smacking down Michigan (with an assist by 6 Michigan negs) is worth mentioning here. Indeed, Columbia's 4th place performance at Nationals is highly commendable, made possible as it was by key victories over Chicago and Michigan. I am glad that this was evidently incorporated by this year's voters into the team poll.
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase '12
Dartmouth College '16
"You are beyond parody" -Auroni Gupta
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
Auron

Postby The Ununtiable Twine » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:14 am

It goes without saying that we have to give a shout out to high school freshman (and one of my former TQBA campers) Eshaan Vakil of Clark HS for defeating two-time defending HSNCT champion Hunter at NSC this weekend. Judging by the morning stats, Hunter put up outstanding numbers in the prelims, as no other match was decided by fewer than 300 points in their favor. Eshaan went a very respectable 3-4 in a reasonably difficult pool. However none of that matters as history was made!
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana '04-'10, '14-'16
Alabama '10-'14
Associate Director, Louisiana Quiz Bowl Alliance
The Ununtiable Twine
Yuna

Postby Granny Soberer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:31 am

The Ununtiable Twine wrote:It goes without saying that we have to give a shout out to high school freshman (and one of my former TQBA campers) Eshaan Vakil of Clark HS for defeating two-time defending HSNCT champion Hunter at NSC this weekend. Judging by the morning stats, Hunter put up outstanding numbers in the prelims, as no other match was decided by fewer than 300 points in their favor. Eshaan went a very respectable 3-4 in a reasonably difficult pool. However none of that matters as history was made!

A freshman from Nevada playing solo beat a national champion. Let that sink in.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16 | Ardsley '12
TD, 2018 NSC | Editor, 2017 ACF Fall | PACE
Granny Soberer
Yuna

Previous

Return to Quizbowl History Forum