1997 CBI panel re HCASC

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

1997 CBI panel re HCASC

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

I guess this goes here?

Anyway, I've been doing internet legwork in preparation for some HBCU outreach, and I found this 1997 discussion announcing Virginia and other teams' deaffiliation from College Bowl. The players cite a discussion panel thing held at that year's nationals:
Joseph K Wright back in 1997 wrote:Some of the more inflammatory moments dealt with HCASC segregation. When they elaborated the reasons HCASC schools have been left off the circuit, they continually cited the same logistic nightmares involved in getting ANY team onto the circuit, while somehow asserting that these concerns are "different" for HBCUs. No one was buying it, and every dodge was duly noted by someone in the audience. Finally, when it was clear that this line was getting nowhere, we moved on.
It's hilarious how accurate that bolded part is today, all thanks to CBI.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
mhayes
Rikku

Re: 1997 CBI panel re HCASC

Post by mhayes »

There are plenty of interesting threads there. Unfortunately, HBCU participation in good quiz bowl hasn't changed much since then, so it's good to see people who are committed to outreach.

I think a natural difficulty with outreach is that HBCUs are mostly in the South, while the most active collegiate teams are in the Midwest and Northeast.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: 1997 CBI panel re HCASC

Post by Matt Weiner »

mhayes wrote:I think a natural difficulty with outreach is that HBCUs are mostly in the South, while the most active collegiate teams are in the Midwest and Northeast.
Interesting point. With that said, there are exceptions- I know Missouri got a Honda team to come to one of their tournaments, and I would love to work with Virginia State or Virginia Union (the latter being quite walkable to VCU, so we could have joint practices or something) if I only could get some response to my attempts to contact what email addresses I have found.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org