All-time all-state teams

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:06 am

BobGHHS wrote:
OHIO: Jarrett Greene (South Range), Ike Jose (Stow Munroe Falls), Saajid Moyen (Copley), Ashvin Srivatsa (Sycamore). Certainly many others you could add here as well--I would say, this is a fairly deep team that with the exception of Ike, lacks a MVP.


Joe is right, Noah Rahman should definitely be on team Ohio and after 2015, so should Sam Blizzard. Noah was singlehandedly the most dominant player I ever coached against, with Ike not far behind.

A team made of Sam, Noah, Ike and Jarret would be amazing.

Why would you replace somebody who's won ACF nationals with Noah Rahman, who certainly never reached that level in college quizbowl skill. I understand that Noah is one of the better high school players ever, but that's totally different than how to best construct an all-star team for ACF nationals.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
User avatar
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee
 
Posts: 5541
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby dxdtdemon » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:
BobGHHS wrote:
OHIO: Jarrett Greene (South Range), Ike Jose (Stow Munroe Falls), Saajid Moyen (Copley), Ashvin Srivatsa (Sycamore). Certainly many others you could add here as well--I would say, this is a fairly deep team that with the exception of Ike, lacks a MVP.


Joe is right, Noah Rahman should definitely be on team Ohio and after 2015, so should Sam Blizzard. Noah was singlehandedly the most dominant player I ever coached against, with Ike not far behind.

A team made of Sam, Noah, Ike and Jarret would be amazing.

Why would you replace somebody who's won ACF nationals with Noah Rahman, who certainly never reached that level in college quizbowl skill. I understand that Noah is one of the better high school players ever, but that's totally different than how to best construct an all-star team for ACF nationals.

I agree. I would think that between Ashvin's ability to get science questions against almost anyone at any difficulty, and Columbus Academy's Kirun Sankaran's ability to get SS/Phil on almost anyone at any difficulty would make them useful assets to be on the team. I guess I would go with Ike, Jarret, Ashvin, and Kirun, although there may be some teams where a guy like Saajid may provide better matchups.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
User avatar
dxdtdemon
Rikku
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:46 pm
Location: Beavercreek, OH

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby Cheynem » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:26 pm

Saajid is probably better all around player than most of those dudes, but he would experience greater overlap with Ike too, since they both are good at lit and arts.
Mike Cheyne
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah
User avatar
Cheynem
Auron
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 am
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby Auroni » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:44 pm

And computer science.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
"I love Milf Money" - Will Nediger
User avatar
Auroni
Auron
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: ann arbor

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby Ike » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:43 pm

No offense to any Ohioans who are marginal to the college circuit who posted about Ohio, but I think you're (pretty much) wrong:

Mike Cheyne's line-up is pretty much the way I would go if I had to assemble the team to play in this tournament. As much as I like Kirun as a friend, I can't see him being a really good contributor to Team Ohio due to overlapping knowledge with me and almost no generalism. I haven't seen Sam since last year but I can't imagine him playing that well at ACF Nationals level difficulty next to me; I think if he continues to play the game in college / studies hard for next year he'll make the list in some future date, but I think putting him on the list now is trying to shoehorn the future Sam Blizzard's abilities into the present. As for Noah, I don't think on modern style ACF Nationals level questions he'd be that awesome, but I'm willing to pretty much hear any argument about it.

All in all, I would choose myself, Jarret for his history + generalism, Ashvin for his science + generalism, and possibly Saajid, but since we overlap so much, there is a case to be made for why more generalism from Noah Rahman wouldn't be more helpful.
Ike
UIUC 13
User avatar
Ike
Yuna
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby swwFCqb » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:26 pm

I suspect that some of the Ohioans who chimed in didn't realize that the criteria involved ACF National level questions (instead of how they performed in high school, in which case Noah and Sam would almost surely be on the list). I too was thinking it was odd that Noah and Sam were left out of the initial discussion of best Ohioans until I looked closer at the initial criteria. I agree that Noah and Sam (at the moment) should not make the A team on an ACF National level set.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
User avatar
swwFCqb
Rikku
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Lancaster, Ohio

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby BobGHHS » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:41 pm

Charlie - to respond to your post, I did exactly what Steven initially did and didn't read the initial criteria well... based on what that criteria is, I would definitely go with the lineup of Ike, Jarret, Saajid and Ashvin.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-2008)
Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
BobGHHS
Rikku
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:59 pm
Location: Garfield Heights, Ohio

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby powerplant » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Ike wrote:No offense to any Ohioans who are marginal to the college circuit who posted about Ohio, but I think you're (pretty much) wrong:

Mike Cheyne's line-up is pretty much the way I would go if I had to assemble the team to play in this tournament. As much as I like Kirun as a friend, I can't see him being a really good contributor to Team Ohio due to overlapping knowledge with me and almost no generalism. I haven't seen Sam since last year but I can't imagine him playing that well at ACF Nationals level difficulty next to me; I think if he continues to play the game in college / studies hard for next year he'll make the list in some future date, but I think putting him on the list now is trying to shoehorn the future Sam Blizzard's abilities into the present. As for Noah, I don't think on modern style ACF Nationals level questions he'd be that awesome, but I'm willing to pretty much hear any argument about it.

All in all, I would choose myself, Jarret for his history + generalism, Ashvin for his science + generalism, and possibly Saajid, but since we overlap so much, there is a case to be made for why more generalism from Noah Rahman wouldn't be more helpful.


So I had assumed that even though the questions were ACF Nationals difficulty we were dealing with a sort of time-traveling NASAT. I mentioned Noah basically because when he was in his high school prime, I think he would have prepared for and played well in this hypothetical tournament. There are many people from Ohio who I would want on my team at ACF Nationals 2015 ahead of Noah, he would rank just below Ike on my list of "best Ohio HS players of all time."

Ike, for the fourth slot on the team would you consider Neil Samadder or Basileus?
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
powerplant
Wakka
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby cchiego » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:05 pm

It would be a major oversight to leave Seth Kendall (Sullivan South) out of the all-time TN team. His unparalleled classics (although did he ever play the Larsenal?) knowledge would have been quite useful. Seth may also know of other TN people around the mid-90s--I have no idea. There were plenty of people with potential in the Memphis area, but none went on to play in college. Some of the current group of young guns in HS right now may also be worthy of inclusion in a few years if they keep on improving.
Chris C.
UGA '09, UCSD '12, UPenn '(?)
Greater Pennsylvania QuizBowl
http://gpqb.wordpress.com
User avatar
cchiego
Yuna
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby evilmonkey » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:03 pm

Well, to help fill out the potential roster relative to teams that actually are going to NASAT, I guess I'll chime in about Indiana.

The list of Indiana high school quiz bowl players who have at least one modern-era college tournament* is: Nick Wawrykow and Arnav Dutt (St. Joe's), Alex Pijanowski (Harrison), myself, Eric Faust, Kirsten Paff, and Zhaoheng Zheng (Culver). I don't know whether or not Nathan Miller (Purdue) played high school quizbowl in Indiana. I looked into the IU-Bloomington teams from the 2000-2004 era, but Wesley Mathews (who I guess Mike Cheyne asked about earlier) is Alabama, and his teammates were all from outside the state as well.

Nick should be on the team for sure - he was a strong member of the Yale DII team at ICT this past year. Alex should likely also be on the team, as he's played decently for Kenyon. I'd probably take myself and Nolan Liu for the final two spots, though if Van Duyn had played at Penn he'd probably be on this team.

If we were time-travelling to when they were high school seniors: Nick Wawrykow, Nolan Liu, Andrew Van Duyn, Fuhe Xu (Harrison).

*Though, I think Ben Dillon, coach of St. Joe's, played some College Bowl back in the day.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:23 am
Location: College Station, TX

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby Euler's Constant » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:57 pm

evilmonkey wrote:Well, to help fill out the potential roster relative to teams that actually are going to NASAT, I guess I'll chime in about Indiana.

The list of Indiana high school quiz bowl players who have at least one modern-era college tournament* is: Nick Wawrykow and Arnav Dutt (St. Joe's), Alex Pijanowski (Harrison), myself, Eric Faust, Kirsten Paff, and Zhaoheng Zheng (Culver). I don't know whether or not Nathan Miller (Purdue) played high school quizbowl in Indiana. I looked into the IU-Bloomington teams from the 2000-2004 era, but Wesley Mathews (who I guess Mike Cheyne asked about earlier) is Alabama, and his teammates were all from outside the state as well.

Nick should be on the team for sure - he was a strong member of the Yale DII team at ICT this past year. Alex should likely also be on the team, as he's played decently for Kenyon. I'd probably take myself and Nolan Liu for the final two spots, though if Van Duyn had played at Penn he'd probably be on this team.

If we were time-travelling to when they were high school seniors: Nick Wawrykow, Nolan Liu, Andrew Van Duyn, Fuhe Xu (Harrison).

*Though, I think Ben Dillon, coach of St. Joe's, played some College Bowl back in the day.


Mr. Dillon did play college bowl at Purdue. I would also add Davide Behr (St. Joe('s)) to the potential list of players who could vie for spot on this hypothetical team. It would be interesting to come back to this list in a few years, as it appears that Chip's death grip in Indiana is finally weakening, and (I think) more players are moving on to play at the college level.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Saint Joseph('s) High School (IN) '13
Yale '17
User avatar
Euler's Constant
Lulu
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: All-time all-state teams

Postby Awehrman » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:25 am

Since Arkansas has not had much very recent collegiate quizbowl success (that I'm aware of at least), the foursome would probably be Dargan Ware, Jason Loy, Josh Hill, and Lynn Endicott.

For Oklahoma I would add NAQT founding member Eric Bell. For Nebraska, there's Chad Kubicek (and I'm really struggling to think of any others). Wichita State had some decent teams in the late 90s/early 00s. Their best player was Henry Herron, so I'd add him to the Kansas team.
Andy Wehrman
(formerly of Arkansas and Northwestern)
Awehrman
Wakka
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:08 am
Location: Marietta, OH

Previous

Return to Quizbowl History Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests