Your Lowest Point

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
Ndg
Rikku

Re: Your Lowest Point

Post by Ndg »

I would be quite envious of anyone whose "lowest point" is truly a single hilarious neg.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
The Formiddable Dark Skeik
Lulu

Post by The Formiddable Dark Skeik »

heterodyne wrote:I think there's already a thread for funny negs, and this isn't it.
There is, I believe that thread is locked.

EDIT: It is locked
Last edited by The Formiddable Dark Skeik on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Chmiel
Former Station Middle School Player (2011-2014)
Barrington High School Player (2015-2018)

"You are hereby charged that you did, on diverse dates, commit heresy against the Holy Church'"
-Cardinal Fang
Lulu

Ndg wrote:I would be quite envious of anyone whose "lowest point" is truly a single hilarious neg.
Believe it or not, I actually know a player who negged eleven times in one game.
Peter Chmiel

"You are hereby charged that you did, on diverse dates, commit heresy against the Holy Church'"
-Cardinal Fang
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

The Formiddable Dark Skeik wrote:
Ndg wrote:I would be quite envious of anyone whose "lowest point" is truly a single hilarious neg.
Believe it or not, I actually know a player who negged eleven times in one game.
Sing, o Muse, of the rage of Nathan Freeburg, that brought countless negs upon his teams...
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah not to get too moderaty here, but this isn't just a thread to list goofy negs; it's about the dark knight of the soul we face when exposed to things like ACF Nationals 2011.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Lulu

Cheynem wrote:Yeah not to get too moderaty here, but this isn't just a thread to list goofy negs; it's about the dark knight of the soul we face when exposed to things like ACF Nationals 2011.

That is kind of a bad habit of mine, changing the subject of threads.
Peter Chmiel

-Cardinal Fang
Lulu

grapesmoker wrote:
The Formiddable Dark Skeik wrote:
Sing, o Muse, of the rage of Nathan Freeburg, that brought countless negs upon his teams...
and hurled in their multitudes to the epitome of neg prizes and cocktail parties.
Peter Chmiel

-Cardinal Fang
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Cheynem wrote:Yeah not to get too moderaty here, but this isn't just a thread to list goofy negs; it's about the dark knight of the soul we face when exposed to things like ACF Nationals 2011.
To my knowledge, I am the only person who has had a complete set of questions in front of me, hours before the deadline to send them to the tournament host, and made the executive decision not to send them.

I pulled the plug on HSAPQ Tourn-9.

You can read about the decision and the resulting fallout here.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

In high school, I played exclusively bad quizbowl under the oversight of MSHSAA, and our team was successful, winning state in 2003 and 2005 and taking second in 2004 within a margin of one tossup/bonus cycle. (All three championship matches were against Parkway Central.) In my junior and senior years, I was our #2 or #3 scorer, with a significant boost from the 20% math computation in the distribution. During my first two years at Missouri-Rolla, we mostly played NAQT sets, leading me to believe that NAQT sets were targeted at the college level. I gradually improved over time, posting 36.5 PP20 playing alongside Matt Chadbourne's 56.5 PP20 at 2007 DII SCT. We got stuck in a 3-way tie, which they attempted to break with a series of AvB, BvC, CvA tiebreakers that failed to break the tie before they ran out of questions, so we ended up missing out on ICT that year after NAQT broke the tie statistically. My experience in quizbowl was quite positive during these first five years.

I then had a co-op in the summer and fall of 2007 working in St. Louis. When I returned to what was then Missouri S&T in spring 2008, we started going to mACF events, hosting a Terrapin mirror and going to a Penn Bowl mirror that January. My acclimation to NAQT sets combined with my semester off made the transition incredibly frustrating. I was completely exhausted after both tournaments, causing me to question how much I wanted to remain involved with quizbowl.

Thanks to Matt's incredible improvement over the previous year, we ended up qualifying for DII ICT the next month, which helped to restore my excitement for quizbowl, although I never put in much effort to improve as a player after that. We formed MOQBA that fall, and after I graduated the next spring, my focus shifted to staffing and running good tournaments for Missouri high schools, which I greatly enjoy to this day.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
Nabonidus
Wakka

Post by Nabonidus »

15 minutes ago, when I discovered that none of my teammates knows what a fig is.
Derek So
McGill
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Nabonidus wrote:15 minutes ago, when I discovered that none of my teammates knows what a fig is.
well there are no fruit in the frozen north so probably your teammates have never eaten anything other than salt-cured walrus and poutine
Jerry Vinokurov
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

3. Losing to Andy Goss at ACF Nationals, and someone being surprised that we didn't beat him after the fact
2. Being confused for Joon Pahk at the same ACF Nationals, when I'm not even remotely as good as he was
1. Not getting a tossup on Korea even on the giveaway (to Kelly McKenzie), with my own father in the room shaking his head
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Cheynem wrote:My lowest point is the 2011 ACF Nationals
Mike Cheyne got it right in the first post.

This isn't even really about the difficulty of any individual question, but mostly about the mental fatigue of playing very difficult questions for an extended period of time.

Let's read Editors 7 of 2011 ACF Nationals together:

Here's tossup 1, which caused a bunch of posting about things that have names:
2011 ACF Nationals Editors 7 wrote:During the early stages of this period, the caudillo Juan Alvarez led a guerilla uprising, and this period saw a major success for one side when Miguel Miramon abandoned the capital. One side during this period was motivated by the demands for fueros, or “privileges,” ...

ANSWER: La Reforma [or The Reform; or the War of the Reform]
Hurray, the first tossup is a thing that appears in Larissa's dissertation! Let's have ten points.
2011 ACF Nationals Editors 7 wrote:The 27th article of this document provided for the raising of revenue to maintain a force of 10,000 horse and dragoons and 20,000 infantry, ...

ANSWER: Instrument of Government
The third tossup is a thing that appears in my dissertation! Let's have minus-five, because I'll decide to be an idiot who can't keep straight what numbers of dragoons appeared at the time of the Instrument of Government and what numbers of dragoons appeared at the time of the Self-Denying Ordinance.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I think it was 2011 Chicago Open where I showed up to CO History Doubles wearing a "Rulers of Bulgaria" t-shirt that had pictures and names of various Bulgarian monarchs on it. Then, in that same tournament, Jeff Hoppes beat me to a tossup about Bulgaria, where all of the clues had been about rulers of that country.

In my defense, the t-shirt I was wearing featured mostly medieval Bulgarian khans and emperors such as Kubrat, Krum, Asparukh, etc., and the tossup was about the 19th century Bulgarian monarchy. But yeah, I got utterly posterized.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote: Mike Cheyne got it right in the first post.
2011 ACF Nationals Editors 7 wrote:The 27th article of this document provided for the raising of revenue to maintain a force of 10,000 horse and dragoons and 20,000 infantry, ...

ANSWER: Instrument of Government
The third tossup is a thing that appears in my dissertation! Let's have minus-five, because I'll decide to be an idiot who can't keep straight what numbers of dragoons appeared at the time of the Instrument of Government and what numbers of dragoons appeared at the time of the Self-Denying Ordinance.
My murder spree continues unabated.

edit: in good news, apparently that clue was way more useful than I imagined.
Jerry Vinokurov