Announcement - 2019 RULFO (Rather Underrepresented Literature and Fine arts Open)

Old college threads.
zeebli123
Lulu

Announcement - 2019 RULFO (Rather Underrepresented Literature and Fine arts Open)

Post by zeebli123 »

I'm pleased to announce RULFO (Rather Underrepresented Literature and Fine arts Open), a tossup-only open side-event to be completed by May of 2019. The questions are being written by Justin French, Anson Berns, Max Shatan, Vishwa Shanmugam, Jakob Boeye, Keaton Martin, Darren Petrosino, Mazin Omer, Shubham Sengar, and me. Literature, visual arts, and world music are being edited by Justin French; jazz and nonacademic music are being edited by Mazin Omer; and classical music is being edited by me, although we are all writing across categories. The set will consist of at least eight packets of 20 powermarked tossups with the following distribution:

10 Literature
  • 3 American
  • 3 European (including British)
  • 3 World
  • 1 Other (including criticism)
10 Fine Arts

5 Visual Arts:
  • 2 Painting
  • 1 Sculpture (including performance and conceptual art)
  • .75 Architecture
  • .75 Film
  • .5 Photography
      5 Auditory Arts:
  • 2.5 Classical Music (including opera and ballet)
  • 1 Jazz (including world jazz)
  • .5 Nonacademic Music (music typically classified as "trash" with historical/musical significance)
  • .5 World Music (academic music outside of western tradition)
  • .5 More of the above/Miscellaneous (including criticism and musicals)
Questions will be 8-10 lines of 10 pt Times New Roman before powermarking. They will be vanity-level difficulty, with roughly half of the answerlines extra-canonical and the other half easily convertible by most of the field. A conscious effort will be made to include more world content in the Visual Arts category (we decided to make a separate subcategory for world music but not for world art because world art is much more easily classified in the artistic genres we listed). In addition, music that falls under the western tradition but is from non-western countries will be classified as classical music. We will also try to ask about the "nonacademic" music in a way that rewards more serious analysis of the music, its performance, or its historical significance, rather than just easy listening.

We are aiming to finish editing questions by early May, when we'll have an online playtest; afterwards, we hope to mirror the set in high school nationals and various summer opens. Everyone, including high schoolers, is encouraged to play this, as they'll likely find new and interesting topics, as well as cool questions about works that are important but not commonly asked about in quizbowl.

Sites:
  • Online Discord playtest, sometime in May
Email me at [email protected] or PM any of us if you're interested in mirroring RULFO! The mirror fee is $10 per person.

EDITS:
  • Tossup length has been changed to "8-10"
  • Slight distribution changes
  • Addition of Max Shatan as a writer!
  • Mirror fee posted
Last edited by zeebli123 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Michael Li
High Tech '19
Co-captain, 2018-2019
Brown '23
"Everything Michael says sounds like a song with his voice" - Arjun Nageswaran
Pedro/HCHS
Lulu

Re: Announcement - 2019 RULFO (Rather Underrepresented Literature and Fine arts Open)

Post by Pedro/HCHS »

Good luck, guys!
Last edited by Pedro/HCHS on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pedro Juan Orduz
HCHS '21
this username sucks

"No, Pedro"
-Rachel Yang
zeebli123
Lulu

Re: Announcement - 2019 RULFO (Rather Underrepresented Literature and Fine arts Open)

Post by zeebli123 »

I understand that there have been concerns regarding the difficulty of this set, so allow me to clarify a few things:

The easier half of tossups is aiming to be deeper cuts of more canonical content. This is primarily to avoid having the set become oppressively difficult, but also is because I in particular believe that there are parts of subjects, especially music, that are especially important but usually deemed too difficult to be considered as a tossup, even if they are by, for example, a common composer. These questions should still be easily converted by the target audience while avoiding difficulty cliffs and "curved yellow fruit" giveaways.

The more difficult half of the tossups, on the other hand, is aiming to be about subjects that we believe are significant but have almost never come up in past quizbowl tournaments at any level. This doesn't mean that the tossups will go dead in every room; rather, many could be, for example, common links on very difficult, extracanonical subjects that become more easily converted near the end. If anything, the number of tossups that fall under this category will most probably skew towards the low end. We decided to call the difficulty of this set "vanity" because of this, as the goal of the set is to toss up new things that many people might find novel and interesting.

Finally, I would like to point out that this set is just a side-event; when beginning to form a team to write this, we were motivated by a desire to learn new things, have fun, and maybe show the community some cool subjects that they might enjoy themselves. That being said, we've already been working on this over the past summer, and will continue working hard to complete (hopefully) a well-edited set for people to enjoy. Thanks!

EDIT: grammar
Michael Li
High Tech '19
Co-captain, 2018-2019
Brown '23
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

The set is now 1/3 of the way to completion.
Justine French
she/her
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

We are now 50% done with RULFO.

Some notes:

- The literature is double distributed. In addition to the geographical distribution in the announcement, we are also using a genre distribution. This is the overall literature distribution:

7 American long fiction
3.5 American short fiction
3.5 American drama
7 American poetry
3 other/mixed American
7 European long fiction
3.5 European short fiction
3.5 European drama
7 European poetry
3 other/mixed European
7 world long fiction
3.5 world short fiction
3.5 world drama
7 world poetry
3 other/mixed world
1 other long fiction
1 other short fiction
1 other drama
1 other poetry
4 other

- Immigrant literature is classified under the country to which the author immigrated.

- Approximately 25% of visual arts are set aside for "world" content

- The difficulty can best be described as somewhere between (college) regs+ and nats with some variance; it is certainly harder than Historature but much less difficult than Worldstar.

- At the moment, approximately half of the answerlines would be acceptable at regs difficulty. One to two tossups per round are "very hard" answerlines that serve primarily for canon expansion. The term "vanity" in the original announcement refers to these hard answerlines, but the majority of the questions in the set will be much more controlled.
Justine French
she/her
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Beside the online mirror, do you have any idea of where this will be hosted yet? e.g. which nationals events / summer opens this might be aiming for?
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

UlyssesInvictus wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:17 pm Beside the online mirror, do you have any idea of where this will be hosted yet? e.g. which nationals events / summer opens this might be aiming for?
We're looking for mirrors at summer side-event opens. Also, although the original post says "online playtest mirror," we are afraid that having an online mirror before the summer could hurt the fields at in-person mirrors, so the online mirror will be later. The set will still be play-tested in a manner to be determined.
Justine French
she/her
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

I would very much like to play this at NASAT, if at all possible.
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

tksaleija wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:14 pm I would very much like to play this at NASAT, if at all possible.
I don't think NASAT typically has side side events, unless you're referring to a NASAT mirror other than the main site, in which case a mirror of RULFO would absolutely be possible assuming that the site requests it. There will be an online mirror at some point (likely late summer) in case you cannot make any mirrors at side event weekends or at PACE.

While I'm posting, I will make a few additional announcements:

First, RULFO is over 90% written and we expect to have the set fully completed within a few days. If there is anyone who knows that they cannot or will not play RULFO at any mirror that is interested in play-testing one or more categories of the tournament (literature, visual arts, auditory arts), contact either me, Anson, or Michael on either discord or the forums. We may or may not end up play-testing, depending on interest and scheduling.

Also, since we have already done some preliminary play-testing, we can give a more accurate estimation of the set's difficulty. On average, I would say that it is around PIANO difficulty, with more outlier answer-lines. With some variance, getting a tossup before the giveaway should be about as difficult as twenty-ing a bonus at regs.
Justine French
she/her
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

After having playtested this set, I hope I'm not spoiling anything to say that, while hard as hell in places, this set was an absolute delight to hear, even in categories that I'm not very good at. I highly recommend playing this if you can and look forward to seeing what the writers and editors of this set produce in the future.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
zeebli123
Lulu

Post by zeebli123 »

RULFO is now 100% done! We're all very excited to have the set played.
Michael Li
High Tech '19
Co-captain, 2018-2019
Brown '23
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

The first mirror of RULFO has been played: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5782/.

I have requested a discussion forum. In the mean-time, anyone who has played the sets should feel free to pm me with questions or comments about specific tossups or the set in general.
Justine French
she/her
Carlos Be
Wakka

Post by Carlos Be »

justinfrench1728 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:12 pm The first mirror of RULFO has been played: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5782/.

I have requested a discussion forum. In the mean-time, anyone who has played the sets should feel free to pm me with questions or comments about specific tossups or the set in general.
I have no idea if I screwed up the request of if the system is just inefficient, but at any rate we have opted to create a discussion discord rather than continue waiting for the forum. Anyone who has played the set can pm me to request access.
Justine French
she/her