ACF Regionals Mirror - University at Buffalo

Old college threads.
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

ACF Regionals Mirror - University at Buffalo

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

I am pleased to announce that the University at Buffalo will host ACF Regionals for the Eastern Canada & Niagara Region, on February 18, 2012. All inquiries should be directed to me, Zach Pace ([email protected]). Registration can either be accomplished by an email (preferred) or by a response to this post. I will update the field every week, as needed.

This tournament will take place on our North Campus, in Amherst, NY. We will likely operate in and around Talbert Hall, pending formal room reservations.

We'll start around 9AM, so I'd like everyone to arrive at 8:45. Allow about 5 minutes for walking from the nearest parking lot, Fronczak Lot (free on weekends). There will be food available for sale in the Union and the Commons (~5-7 min walk inside).

Fee Structure:
Base fee: $120
Buzzers: -$5
Staffers: -$10 each
Laptop: -$5 each (max 1 per team)
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles
International: -$20
New ACF: -$25
New to Quizbowl: -$75

Fees must be rendered before the tournament starts in the morning. We're not allowed to handle money, so a financial representative will be there from ~8:30 to ~9:00 to handle financial transactions. If this is an issue, then let me know in advance so I can make the proper arrangements, but I shall become very grumpy indeed if a team shows up late and the finance person has already left. We'll probably still let you play, but we'll have to work something special out, and it will involve no small amount of effort on everyone's part.

Packet Deadlines (per ACF Rules):
December 26, 2011: -$50
January 8, 2012: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
January 22, 2012: no penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
January 29, 2012: +$25
February 5, 2012: +$50

Any team with at least one person who played college Quizbowl prior to September 1, 2010 is required to submit a packet. Packets should be emailed to Trevor Davis ([email protected]) by 11:59 PM PST and include "ACF Regionals Packet" and the name of your school in the subject line.

Schools (Teams) (edits on 1/12, 1/30)
Buffalo (at least 1)
McMaster (1-2)
OSU (maybe)
Last edited by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
MathMusic
Lulu

Re: ACF Regionals Mirror - University at Buffalo

Post by MathMusic »

Quick note on finances:

Due to our financial overlords, we are currently unable to accept Canadian Currency. This includes cheques from Canadian banks. There is an on campus ATM without a surcharge, which we can direct you to if necessary. Alternatively, a purchase order or a cheque from a US based bank is perfectly acceptable. Please plan accordingly.
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
Secretary, Past Treasurer and Founding Member, U Buffalo Academic Bowl 2010-2014
Captain, Pembroke, NY HS Quiz Team 2008-2010
MathMusic
Lulu

Post by MathMusic »

Bump.
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
Secretary, Past Treasurer and Founding Member, U Buffalo Academic Bowl 2010-2014
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

To be frank (and, as I told Trevor Davis a while ago), this weekend is during the Spring Break of most, if not all, Canadian schools, which means that our members are scattered to the four winds, and the probability of attending a tournament is low.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
MathMusic
Lulu

Post by MathMusic »

That is disappointing, the US usually takes their spring break in mid-March. However, we did not set the date for the tourney. If you can being a team, we would love to have you up.
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

I'm aware you did not set the date for the tournament; my post was meant only to caution you that expectations of significant attendance would be... misplaced, I suppose.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
Wakka

If 4 people from 2 schools showed, then we could always just field solo/duo house teams and just keep the field at 4. Just a though.
Zach Pace
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

OSU may come to this with a team, we'll keep you posted.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Unicolored Jay
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Unicolored Jay »

We're not going.
Jasper Lee
University of Tennessee Health Science Center '21
The Ohio State University '14
Solon High School '10
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

So, Mac is down to one team...there is one novice able to go, who would be able to play as a novice team (unless someone else volunteers tomorrow night). As such, I would be her ride to the tournament, but I'd rather not drive all the way out to Buffalo to not get to compete in a tournament, and our novice would be rather uncomfortable just playing by herself, especially if whatever other team(s) will have more than one player. I guess what I'm asking then is: 1. Is there any way that I would be able to play, not having submitted a pack, even if I were to play as either part of a novice team or as a solo? 2. If that's completely unallowable, then how many people are expected anyways, and will this even still happen on Sat. if Mac backs out (which will happen if I'm not going, because I have the car)?
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Wakka

Mac looks like the only team right now, aside from house team(s). We could always run stuff solo (I'm cool with this, actually: in fact it might be kind of fun).

As for letting you play, just ask the editing squad. If they are okay with it, then I'm okay with it. But I can't forego the rules.

If you guys don't come, then we probably will just end up cancelling. It's not the end of the world, really (I'll get my Saturday back--maybe I'll sleep, who knows?)
Zach Pace
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Well Zach, I've talked to the TD, and he's asked us to submit 6/6 questions and then we can play. So I'm just finishing up the tossups, my compatriots are finishing up the bonuses, and then we'll submit those tomorrow. That means that 3 of us will be attending, and can either all play solo, or do a combo (our novice may not be entirely comfortable playing by herself in such a field). How much money should we plan to bring if we're doing solo teams?
Jay Misuk
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

MathMusic
Lulu

Post by MathMusic »

Pending approval from the TD, I would say that we plan on charging you as if you were only one team.

Otherwise, to cover the mirror fees ($50/team) and still make some money it would be $60/team.

EDIT: We have approval to charge you as one team.
Matthew Hill
U Buffalo '14
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Sounds good; our questions are 90% done, they'll be sent to the TD before long. Anyways, we'll endeavour to make it by 8:30-9ish with $120, and our buzzers. See you tomorrow!
Jay Misuk

Wakka

Zach Pace