ACF Regionals at GWU

Old college threads.
chrislo
Lulu

ACF Regionals at GWU

Post by chrislo »

The George Washington University will be hosting ACF Regionals for the Mid-Atlantic region on February 18, 2012.

The tournament will be held in Monroe Hall (#52 on the attached map; at the corner of 21st and G St. NW). The meeting room for the tournament will be Monroe B32

Times
Registration for teams will be from 7:45 until 8:15. We realize that this is rather early, but we have a very hard cap on when we are allowed to be in the rooms that we have booked. You must be registered by 8:15, so we can go through the logistics of the day and we will start the first round at 8:30. We will have invoices available the day of the tournament for any team upon request. If you get lost on the way here or are going to be late you can contact me at (732) 284-1283. We highly suggest taking the Metro to Foggy Bottom GWU Station as the way to get to the tournament. We cannot guarantee that parking will be available in our school parking garage (21st & H St.) or on the street.

Fees
Base Fee: $120/team
Buzzer Discount: $5/buzzer
Staffer Discount: $10/staffer
Laptop Discount: $5/laptop (1 per team, please)
Travel Discount: $10 (per 200 miles, one way)
New to ACF Discount: $25 (per school, not individual players)
New to Quizbowl Discount: $75 (per school, not individual players)

Registration
To register for this tournament, please email us at gwqt {at} gwu {dot} edu. In that email, tell us what discounts you qualify for, if any, and if you will need an invoice. Acceptable methods for payment include check (made out to The George Washington University) or cash.

Packet Submission
According to the rules, every team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2010 is required to submit a packet in order to play in Regionals. Please note that this requirement now also applies to eligible high school teams.

Please submit your packets to Trevor Davis ([email protected]) and include "ACF Regionals packet" and the name of your school in the subject line. In order to meet any particular deadline, your packet must be submitted by 11:59 pm PST on the stated day.

The Deadlines
December 26, 2011: -$50
January 8, 2012: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
January 22, 2012: no penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
January 29, 2012: +$25
February 5, 2012: +$50

Campus Map
A campus map can be found here: http://www.gwu.edu/staticfile/GW/Campus ... p-2011.pdf
Last edited by chrislo on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-2013)
chrislo
Lulu

Re: ACF Regionals at GWU

Post by chrislo »

The Field: (as of 2/15/2012)
VCU
Johns Hopkins
Delaware
UVA (2)
George Mason
TJHSST
Penn
UMD (3)

Buzzers
VCU (4)
Delaware (1)
UVA (1)
TJHSST (2)
George Mason
Last edited by chrislo on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chris
The George Washington University Quiz Team President (2011-2013); Member (2010-2013)
Lagotto Romagnolo
Tidus

Post by Lagotto Romagnolo »

I can staff if you need me; let me know.

EDIT: Change of plans, looks like I won't be able to come, sorry.
Last edited by Lagotto Romagnolo on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Rosenberg
Langley HS '07 / Brown '11 / Illinois '14
magin
Auron

Post by magin »

Der Rosenbergkavalier wrote:I can staff if you need me; let me know.
Likewise.
Jonathan Magin
Montgomery Blair HS '04, University of Maryland '08
Editor: ACF

"noted difficulty controller"
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Post by Ras superfamily »

Penn is going to this
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

TheCopleyIndian wrote:Penn is going to this
How many teams will you be sending/are there any discounts you qualify for?
Chris
Ras superfamily
Wakka

Post by Ras superfamily »

1 team, 0 discounts
Saajid Moyen
Penn '15
nvijay
Lulu

Post by nvijay »

Do you know what the charge is to park in the garage? The Orange Line is doing maintenance between the Virginia Square and Clarendon stations, and since the metro starts up at 7:00 and the bus service is notoriously slow between metro stations, I think that it's probably easier for GMU to drive over to Foggy Bottom. But if it's really expensive we'll take our chances with the Metro.
Neeraj Vijay, George Mason 2009-2013, Charter School of Wilmington 2005-2009
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

nvijay wrote:Do you know what the charge is to park in the garage? The Orange Line is doing maintenance between the Virginia Square and Clarendon stations, and since the metro starts up at 7:00 and the bus service is notoriously slow between metro stations, I think that it's probably easier for GMU to drive over to Foggy Bottom. But if it's really expensive we'll take our chances with the Metro.
If you park in the Marvin Center (H & 21st Streets) or Academic Center Garages (801 22nd Street NW) the maximum daily charge on the weekend is $11, as long as you're out before midnight.
Chris
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

nvijay wrote:Do you know what the charge is to park in the garage? The Orange Line is doing maintenance between the Virginia Square and Clarendon stations, and since the metro starts up at 7:00 and the bus service is notoriously slow between metro stations, I think that it's probably easier for GMU to drive over to Foggy Bottom. But if it's really expensive we'll take our chances with the Metro.
... or we could take the first bye.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

Duncan Idaho wrote:
... or we could take the first bye.
I can't guarantee that right now.
Chris
nvijay
Lulu

Post by nvijay »

So you're telling me you can't guarantee us either? I'm not exactly sure what choices you're leaving us other than just making a random dice roll that could screw us over either way. Can we at least get some sort of resolution on the bye at least?
EDIT: I completely did not see the post about the parking being $11 in the garages, although i guess parking would not be guaranteed. I would appreciate some sort of a decision about the first bye though, as that will help us make a decision about whether to take the metro or drive.
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

nvijay wrote:So you're telling me you can't guarantee us either? I'm not exactly sure what choices you're leaving us other than just making a random dice roll that could screw us over either way. Can we at least get some sort of resolution on the bye at least?
If you park in one of those garages, you'll be fine. I can't get any resolution on the bye until I know for sure what order the packets are going to be in.
Chris
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

There isn't really any order--as the TD you can order them in any way you like, provided it makes sense with the teams there.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

chrislo wrote:
nvijay wrote:So you're telling me you can't guarantee us either? I'm not exactly sure what choices you're leaving us other than just making a random dice roll that could screw us over either way. Can we at least get some sort of resolution on the bye at least?
If you park in one of those garages, you'll be fine. I can't get any resolution on the bye until I know for sure what order the packets are going to be in.
Look, you can give them the first round bye and read really whatever blind packet you want in the first round (so long as they didn't submit a packet, in which case you read their packet first).
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

Honestly, I think you'll be fine if you drive. The parking garages are pretty large and considering how early it will be, it shouldn't be full. The Academic Center garage should have places available and will only cost $11 for the day. We understand your situation, but I'm not going to commit the first round bye yet. We have teams coming from Philadelphia and Delaware, so I don't want to commit it yet. Please keep us posted in the morning and we'll let you know about it then.
Chris
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

chrislo wrote:Honestly, I think you'll be fine if you drive. The parking garages are pretty large and considering how early it will be, it shouldn't be full. The Academic Center garage should have places available and will only cost $11 for the day. We understand your situation, but I'm not going to commit the first round bye yet. We have teams coming from Philadelphia and Delaware, so I don't want to commit it yet. Please keep us posted in the morning and we'll let you know about it then.
In your e-mail of four days ago, you wrote:
We highly suggest taking the Metro to Foggy Bottom GWU Station as the way to get to the tournament. We cannot guarantee that parking will be available in our school parking garage (21st & H St.) or on the street.
so VCU planned to get up really early and get to Springfield in time to take the Metro (also not knowing we could demand a first-round bye by angrily posting about it or calling in Charles Martin to caterwaul on our behalf).

Can somebody give a definitive answer at this late date, fourteen hours and change before the tournament, as to whether parking will be available, so that I can consult with VCU as to when we need to leave, sometime before the time when people need to go to sleep if they're going to get up at 4 AM?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

Matt Weiner wrote:
chrislo wrote:Honestly, I think you'll be fine if you drive. The parking garages are pretty large and considering how early it will be, it shouldn't be full. The Academic Center garage should have places available and will only cost $11 for the day. We understand your situation, but I'm not going to commit the first round bye yet. We have teams coming from Philadelphia and Delaware, so I don't want to commit it yet. Please keep us posted in the morning and we'll let you know about it then.
In your e-mail of four days ago, you wrote:
We highly suggest taking the Metro to Foggy Bottom GWU Station as the way to get to the tournament. We cannot guarantee that parking will be available in our school parking garage (21st & H St.) or on the street.
so VCU planned to get up really early and get to Springfield in time to take the Metro (also not knowing we could demand a first-round bye by angrily posting about it or calling in Charles Martin to caterwaul on our behalf).

Can somebody give a definitive answer at this late date, fourteen hours and change before the tournament, as to whether parking will be available, so that I can consult with VCU as to when we need to leave, sometime before the time when people need to go to sleep if they're going to get up at 4 AM?
I was being a tad overly cautious, because while there should be parking it definitely would not be free and one doesn't know what will happen. There are several parking garages, some of which are from GW, others of which are not. If you're going to drive, you should be able to find parking. It will cost money, however.
Chris
nvijay
Lulu

Post by nvijay »

We will be driving then.
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

UMD A and UVA A are in a one-game final after both going 9-1.

Edit: UMD takes it 400-260

Chris will post stats et al. in the very near future
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

Stats for the tournament can be found here:
http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/89 ... all_games/

**Full disclosure: The player stats for the final round (tossups, negs, etc) for some reason the final round data didn't save in the final and therefore only the scores for that round exist. I am very sorry for this mistake.
Chris
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

My statline is switched with Daniel's in our game against our B team. Also, Maryland and our team are both listed as getting 0 tossups in the finals.

Thanks for posting it promptly, though.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Mine and Sean's stats are switched our Round 1 game against UMD A.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
sabine01
Tidus

Post by sabine01 »

Cernel Joson wrote: Also, Maryland and our team are both listed as getting 0 tossups in the finals.
I did take individual stats for the finals on paper (edit due to a later thought: finals team stats should be with it). Do y'all still have that sheet, Chris?

~TG~
Tricia Southard Greenstein, MLS
Furman '01 | GWU Staff | Maryland '10

I don't care whose fault this was, just get it sorted! And could someone please bring me something deep fat fried and smothered in chocolate?! ~ Fairy Godmother, "Shrek 2"
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

The idea of a 200 tossup game between TJ and Delaware sure goes a long way towards explaining the delays in the tournament, which ultimately were not as bad as feared.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
chrislo
Lulu

Post by chrislo »

The edited report: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/89 ... standings/

Thanks to everyone who helped with missing data/errors in the first posting!
Chris