2013 NAQT ICT: April 13, Chicago

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2013 NAQT ICT: April 13, Chicago

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC, is pleased to provide logistical information about its 17th Intercollegiate Championship Tournament.

Date:

April 12-13, 2013 (Friday/Saturday; the actual competition will take place entirely on Saturday)

Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Rosemont, Illinois (a western suburb of Chicago near O'Hare International Airport). This is the same site as the 2012 ICT.
Full details

Registration is now open.

Current field
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: 2013 NAQT ICT: April 13, Chicago

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Are the prices and discounts for ICT going to be posted sometime after SCT?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Important Bird Area

ICT fee and discount information will be available along with the first batch of invitations.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:Are the prices and discounts for ICT going to be posted sometime after SCT?
ICT fee and discount information is now available on naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Invitations: Division I, Division II

Invited teams may now register here.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Congratulations to the 2013 ICT champions: Yale (Division I overall), Ohio State (Division I Undergraduate), Stanford (Division II), and Chipola (Top Community College Award).

Complete stats
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Please note that there are several upcoming tournaments using the ICT set. For question-specific discussion of this year's ICT, please select the "ICT 2013" usergroup from your user control panel.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Out of curiosity, does the Top Community College award only go to undergraduate/DII teams (teams that play CCCT), as MCTC was actually the highest placing community college in attendance? (This is just me wondering what is codified in the NAQT rules, as I think it would probably make sense to restrict the Top CC award to CCCT playing schools)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
5m0k3
Kimahri

Post by 5m0k3 »

Cheynem wrote:MCTC was actually the highest placing community college in attendance
Care to explain how you drew this conclusion about MCTC? AFAIK, you can't even have an AA to participate in the CC competition. From looking at the stats, it appears MCTC didn't even make the top tier, anyway, so I fail to see how they could claim a higher finish.
Last edited by 5m0k3 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad
Chipola College 2007-2009
mtimmons
Wakka

Post by mtimmons »

It appears the community college eligibility rules exclude those with undergraduate degrees and those who have competed at ICT for four-year schools.
Max Timmons
St. Paul Central High School 2012
MIT 2016
mhayes
Rikku

Post by mhayes »

5m0k3 wrote:
Cheynem wrote:MCTC was actually the highest placing community college in attendance
Care to explain how you drew this conclusion about MCTC?
It's entirely speculative since MCTC was in a separate division, but the D1 field is significantly more competitive than the D2 field. I mean no disrespect to your team, however.
Matt Hayes

Unaffiliated
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

Could you guys post combined stats as well?
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Sorry, I badly misspoke, obviously not factoring in the simple fact that DI and DII teams do not play the same field. What I SHOULD have said is that DI MCTC finished the highest of the community colleges within the DI field, and it is unclear how such a finish compares to community college placement in the DII field.

Chipola is in every way deserving of the title and my question was me just speculating on what the criteria for such a title was.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Important Bird Area

Cheynem wrote:Out of curiosity, does the Top Community College award only go to undergraduate/DII teams (teams that play CCCT)
This is correct.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

mhayes wrote:
5m0k3 wrote:
Care to explain how you drew this conclusion about MCTC?
It's entirely speculative since MCTC was in a separate division, but the D1 field is significantly more competitive than the D2 field. I mean no disrespect to your team, however.
Yeah no matter what, D1 always trumps D2, much like MLB baseball always trumps any of the minor leagues. It's child's play.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
abnormal abdomen
Rikku

Post by abnormal abdomen »

Hey, I just wanted to apologize to NAQT and the affected DII field at ICT for Brown's no-show this weekend. To be frank, we (the DII team, consisting of me, Lloyd, Daniel, and Alex) have absolutely no valid excuse for what happened. Basically, we weren't sure if we were going to be able to go to ICT (for a variety of reasons, partially logistical, partially due to academic responsibilities, I think), and by the time we decided that we would be able to, we realized that the airfare was too much for us, and we ended up not going. We notified NAQT, but only a few days ago, so it was very late, and thus we prevented a deserving team from getting a spot at ICT, and for that we are genuinely sorry. Furthermore, I'm guessing we caused some logistical issues for NAQT, and that's also quite unfortunate.

We hope to establish a better reputation for our club as far as responsibility is concerned, and we will work to make sure that this doesn't happen again.
Abid Haseeb
Auburn High School '12
Brown University '16
Writer, HSAPQ
Writer, NAQT
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

abnormal abdomen wrote:Hey, I just wanted to apologize to NAQT and the affected DII field at ICT for Brown's no-show this weekend. To be frank, we (the DII team, consisting of me, Lloyd, Daniel, and Alex) have absolutely no valid excuse for what happened. Basically, we weren't sure if we were going to be able to go to ICT (for a variety of reasons, partially logistical, partially due to academic responsibilities, I think), and by the time we decided that we would be able to, we realized that the airfare was too much for us, and we ended up not going. We notified NAQT, but only a few days ago, so it was very late, and thus we prevented a deserving team from getting a spot at ICT, and for that we are genuinely sorry. Furthermore, I'm guessing we caused some logistical issues for NAQT, and that's also quite unfortunate.

We hope to establish a better reputation for our club as far as responsibility is concerned, and we will work to make sure that this doesn't happen again.
I was actually planning on making a very similar post to this on the behalf of UNC's team. We also apologize to NAQT and all teams that were affected by our late drop; the circumstances around our withdrawal were almost exactly the same as Brown's. There's no real reason we had to force this mess upon ourselves and the field, and we will use the experience to make our club planning more prompt and clear so that this doesn't happen again.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:Could you guys post combined stats as well?
I don't know if the NAQT webserver is capable of displaying a ranking of players by individual PPG across all prelim and playoff rounds, rather than just the prelims, if that's what you're asking. Perhaps it ought to be.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

RyuAqua wrote:
The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:Could you guys post combined stats as well?
I don't know if the NAQT webserver is capable of displaying a ranking of players by individual PPG across all prelim and playoff rounds, rather than just the prelims, if that's what you're asking. Perhaps it ought to be.
Or just the SQBS.

PS New avatar! I'm a fan.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Complete stats
The stats for our game against Cornell are wrong. The bonus points for both teams seem to have simply disappeared.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I'll work on making a display of individual stats across all rounds for the NAQT website, but it almost certainly won't happen today and possibly not for a few days (or maybe even until after the MSNCT). I believe Jeff will post an alternate form of the stats soon.

Other stats errors that have been reported to us should be fixed within 24 hours. Thank you for letting us know about them.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:The stats for our game against Cornell are wrong. The bonus points for both teams seem to have simply disappeared.
I have provisionally fixed this pending confirmation from the original scoresheet, which should come tonight. Thanks for letting us know about the error.
Jonah Greenthal
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Someone at ICT mentioned in the hallway between games that they wished to talk with me about the Texas A&M statistics program. However, there were more games to be played, and we never actually got to talk about it. I'm absolutely terrible with faces/names, so if you or one of your teammates fits this description, you should send me an email. I believe it was someone on one of the teams we played in the afternoon.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jonah wrote:I'll work on making a display of individual stats across all rounds for the NAQT website, but it almost certainly won't happen today and possibly not for a few days (or maybe even until after the MSNCT).
http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-in ... playoffs=1
Jonah Greenthal
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

jonah wrote:
jonah wrote:I'll work on making a display of individual stats across all rounds for the NAQT website, but it almost certainly won't happen today and possibly not for a few days (or maybe even until after the MSNCT).
http://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-in ... playoffs=1
Thanks, Jonah!
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

I'm not sure if this is the place to post requests for corrections, but there were some mis-recordings in the stats for one of our games that it might be nice to fix.
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

JoelleJay wrote:I'm not sure if this is the place to post requests for corrections, but there were some mis-recordings in the stats for one of our games that it might be nice to fix.
Please email stats corrections to me at [email protected].
Jonah Greenthal
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

For those of you who prefer the SQBS format, R. kindly provided me with the SQBS of ICT, and gave me permission to post it (unofficially): http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... stats/all/. I'd be happy to make any stat corrections; I've made some corrections to Penn's statlines already.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD