This tournament is an early-season introduction to competitive quizbowl in which novices can play against teams of their own strength on questions that reward the level of knowledge that they have. It is a great way to get novice players interested in the game. Book prizes for top scoring individuals will be provided.
Players who meet the following requirements are eligible to play.
- All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
- This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
- Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
- Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
- If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.
- If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
- If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
- If you have ever won any college tournament.
- Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.
Any eligibility appeals should be directed to Andrew Hart at email@example.com
Base fee: $15 per player. It is encouraged for teams to be composed of no more than 4 to maximize playing opportunities.
Buzzers: -$5 per functioning system with no less than eight working indicators
Staff: -$5 per staff member (lunch will also be provided)
Travel Discount: -$10 for one-way travel in excess of 200 miles (verified via Google Maps)
Minimum fee: $5 per player
Checks or cash are accepted forms of payment. We cannot accept credit cards. Please make checks payable to Eric Douglass.
The tournament will take place in the Close-Hipp Building, which is the location of the Darla Moore School of Business. We will meet in the lobby. Registration will begin at 8:30 and play will begin around 9:30. There are a few meter parking lots in the immediate vicinity and several parallel meters along Barnwell, College, and Pendleton streets. The regular meters are not checked on Saturdays, though there are a few 15 minute meters that are. The Cocky mascot is pointing to the building here, and the green represents the metered lots. Located in the geographic center of South Carolina, Columbia is a fairly short drive from anywhere in South Carolina. It is 1.5 hours from Charlotte and 3.5 hours from Atlanta. South Carolina is not playing a home football game this weekend, so traffic should be light and parking plentiful.
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with the number of teams, buzzers, and/or staff you'll be bringing, along with a contact phone number for someone on the team on the day of the tournament. You are not considered to be registered until you receive confirmation from me saying so. Posting in this thread is not sufficient.
South Carolina House Teams
College of Charleston