ACF Fall @ Waterloo (Nov 3)

Old college threads.
mhyee
Lulu

ACF Fall @ Waterloo (Nov 3)

Post by mhyee »

We are pleased to announce a Waterloo Mirror of ACF Fall on November 3rd, 2012, with other mirror sites across America. Specific room details will be forth coming, so please fill out this form to register for the tournament and send an email to [email protected] to confirm your teams and so we know to inform you of updates.

For more information about ACF Fall, please refer here. All ACF guidelines will be followed. The fee structure for this tournament will be as outlined here.

Parking is free on the weekends, and all teams will get a map. There are also local eating places for lunch, although we might provide pizza for a fee.

RSVP to [email protected] , and please indicate number of teams per division so we can decide which divisions to run, and buzzers (semi or fully functioning) and moderators you are bringing

Hope to see you in November!
UWaterloo QB

Time and Location Information

Please arrive at MC 4045 by 9AM. MC is sometimes called the Mathematics & Computer Building. Note that midterms are still going on (yes, even on a Saturday morning), so please be considerate and quiet when going through hallways.

A campus and parking map can be found here.

Parking Lot X (north of Columbia St) is free on weekends, but is a bit of a walk; I'm guessing 10-15 minutes. You can find more information about parking here.

Also note that Nov 3 is Waterloo's "Fall Open House," so the campus will likely be very busy. On the other hand, you can get breakfast and/or lunch (cash only) in the Student Life Centre (SLC), which is much closer than the plaza we usually send people off to.

Please contact me or Jj if you have any questions about maps or parking.

Field
Buffalo [2]
McMaster [2]
Michigan State [1]
Ottawa [2]
Waterloo [1-?]
Last edited by mhyee on Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Formerly University of Waterloo
minusfive
Rikku

Re: ACF Fall @ Waterloo (Nov 3)

Post by minusfive »

I have sent an e-mail to JJ, but for this board's purposes-
Ottawa A and B will be playing this site.
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

Buffalo will be bringing its customary two teams.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

We're looking like 2 teams at this point. One novice team, and one anti-novice team that really needs to get a pack together...
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

We've just filled out the ACF form registering one non-packet writing team.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
mhyee
Lulu

Post by mhyee »

The first post has been updated with time and location information. Please contact me or Jj if you have any questions.
Ming-Ho Yee
Northeastern University
Formerly University of Waterloo
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

This tournament is now in progress. Statistics for the preliminary rounds can be found here.
Last edited by nobthehobbit on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

There is a three-way tie for fourth place and advancement to the top bracket. Western Ontario and McMaster B are playing for the right to face Michigan State for the last place in the top bracket.

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

Western Ontario has beaten McMaster B in the first tiebreaker game and is playing Michigan State for the last spot in the top bracket.

Stats zombie.
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

Michigan State has beaten Western Ontario in the second tiebreaker game and has advanced to the top bracket.

Stats zombie.
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

The playoffs have begun and statistics for them can be found here.

Stats zombie.
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

Congratulations to McMaster A for winning Waterloo's mirror of 2012 ACF Fall, topping the field by two games. Waterloo won the Undergraduate and Division II titles, topping that field by two games.

Complete statistics, including the two tiebreaker games, can be found here.

Stats zombie.
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Just wanted to thank JJ, Daniel, and all the readers/organizers for a very fun time. Congrats to McMaster!
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

Wish to register complaint about doing full-packet tiebreak rounds when half-packet was permitted. (Edit: Does ACF rule I1 encourage this?) Left most of the teams sitting around for a long time. Everything else was good.
Last edited by bmcke on Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

bmcke wrote:Wish to register complaint about doing full-packet tiebreak rounds when half-packet was permitted. (Edit: Does ACF rule I1 encourage this?) Left most of the teams sitting around for a long time. Everything else was good.
When it won't leave the tournament in a dire packet situation or run up against time constraints, it's ideal to use full packets to break ties. It's best to do whatever you can to make that tiebreak happen ASAP, of course.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

bmcke wrote:Wish to register complaint about doing full-packet tiebreak rounds when half-packet was permitted. (Edit: Does ACF rule I1 encourage this?) Left most of the teams sitting around for a long time. Everything else was good.
I can't speak for Jj, but I personally prefer full packet tiebreakers when possible, and even having to discard a packet left us with 16 (as Buffalo was not involved in the tiebreaker we played their packet there), which was more than enough for our purposes. It's always regrettable when teams are left standing around, of course, but by my understanding the opportunity for other players to scrimmage on the tiebreaker packets was given.

Stats zombie.