ACF Regionals at WUSTL 2/23/13

Old college threads.
armitage
Wakka

ACF Regionals at WUSTL 2/23/13

Post by armitage »

Washington University in St. Louis will be hosting a mirror of the 2013 ACF Regionals on Saturday, February 23rd. I, Richard Yu, will be serving as tournament director.

Location: We will be meeting in Eads Hall, Room 103, building number 33 on this map.

Registration: Please register using this form. You MUST fill out this form to play this tournament. An email to us is not necessary/sufficient.

Packet submission guidelines are as follows, copied from the global announcement.
Packet Submission:
Every team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2011 is required to submit a packet in order to play in Regionals. Please note that, like last year, this requirement also applies to eligible high school teams. Further information can be found at the ACF Packet Submission Guidelines.

The submission schedule for this tournament is:
December 30, 2012: -$50
January 13, 2013: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
January 27, 2013: no penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
February 3, 2013: +$25
February 10, 2013: +$50
After that: My unending wrath, +$100, and a guarantee you will be dropped from the field if you haven't negotiated an extension before then.

Payment Deadline (NEW): February 16, 2013 (your payment must be postmarked by this date).

Please submit your packet to [email protected]; the actual email with attached packet should include the phrase "[name of school + A/B/etc. if applicable) PACKET" in the subject line. In order to meet any particular deadline, your packet must be in our inbox by 11:59 pm PST on the stated day.

As alluded to above, extensions *may* be granted after the final February 10 deadline, but are at my discretion and will certainly not be granted if the request appears mysteriously at 11:58 pm the night of the deadline.

Packet Penalties: Be sure to fully read the information contained in the Packet Guidelines. Any cases of incorrect formatting, plagiarism, or prohibited question types will result in hefty fees. The editors also reserve the right to send back any egregious cases to be fixed by the team in question, so be sure to do it right the first time.

Please note that in cases of plagiarism in particular, I have now graded many a term paper and edited many a tournament, and I will catch you. This is doubtless because if you have decided to plagiarize from past questions/wikipedia/wherever, you are an idiot; I encourage you to cut your losses with that rather than compounding the situation with plagiarism.
Eligibility: Normal ACF eligibility. Please also refer to the new Division II rules for 2012-13.

Parking/lodging: A parking map of Wash U can be found here. Wash U generally has ample weekend parking in the lots on campus, although technically a parking pass is required.

If you are looking for lodging, here is a pretty comprehensive list of hotels in the area.

Also, if anyone in region would like to help staff, we would love to have you on board, as it would let us accommodate more teams.

If you have questions about anything, please contact me at washuqb AT gmail dot com.

Field: (capped at 16)

Total: 9 teams

Truman State 3
Harding 1
WKU 1
Tulsa 2
KSU 1
House 1
Last edited by armitage on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Richard
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: ACF Regionals at WUSTL 2/23/13

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Considering that a Southeast mirror doesn't appear to be materializing, we may head to this site. I'll have something more official once we figure out what exactly is going on with other sites.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:Considering that a Southeast mirror doesn't appear to be materializing, we may head to this site. I'll have something more official once we figure out what exactly is going on with other sites.
Hi, Nick--we're working on the Southeast mirror and do anticipate having one, but WUStL will almost certainly be the closest site to you guys.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

Here's a link to the (registered) field for this tournament. Teams, please let me know if you need to change your info (more or fewer buzzers, removing a team, etc.) by emailing [email protected] .
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Hey Richard, can we get a field update for this tournament? Thanks!
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

Field is updated. Out of the teams on the global announcement, Wash U should be the closest site for Kansas State, and maybe there are some other regional teams that have yet to come out of the woodwork? Mizzou, Rolla, etc? Illinois? This tournament is coming up fast; please tell me soon whether your team is at least interested in attending.
Richard
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

This is probably a bit early, but would anyone be interested in playing Mike Bentley's Eyes That Do Not See IV visual art tournament here after the tournament ends?

EDIT: Scratch this, I just talked to Richard and he wants to scrimmage on the unused Regionals packets after the tournament ends.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

TINA! BRING ME THE AXE!!!!

Sean Phillips
Boonville HS 00
WUSTL 04
SLU Law 07
Member MOQBA 2008-present
Is it wrong I like Boonville most of those 3?:)
Jeremy Gibbs Paradox
Rikku

Post by Jeremy Gibbs Paradox »

TINA! BRING ME THE AXE!!!!

Sean Phillips
Boonville HS 00
WUSTL 04
SLU Law 07
Member MOQBA 2008-present
Is it wrong I like Boonville most of those 3?:)
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

Congratulations to Truman State A, who cleared the field to win first place. WKU and Tulsa A ended the playoffs tied, and WKU won a one-game tiebreaker to claim 2nd place. All teams in the field were both UG and DII eligible, so those titles also go to the same teams.
Richard