NAQT-ACUI Region 8 SCT at UIC

Old college threads.
jonah
Auron

NAQT-ACUI Region 8 SCT at UIC

Post by jonah »

ACUI will be hosting the Region 8 NAQT Sectional Championship Tournament at the University of Illinois at Chicago on Saturday, February 9. I will be serving as tournament director.

Money: The base fee is $120. There is a $20 discount for schools who have not attended or hosted SCT in the last two years. Please bring buzzer systems; they get you a $10 discount each, with no limit. Likewise with clocks ($5 discount each) and qualified moderators ($30 discount each and particular gratitude from me). The minimum fee is $0.

• Please register online at http://www.naqt.com/registration/regist ... nt_id=4761.
  • Once you submit the entry, click on "total cost for your teams at this tournament", then click "request an invoice".
  • If you wish, you may pay by credit card using PayPal. NAQT handles billing directly, so please direct any questions regarding the payment process to NAQT at [email protected] or 888-411-NAQT (6278).
  • Please submit payment via the methods described above. We do not have the means to accept payment and/or issue receipts at the competition site.
  • Registration closes February 5, 2012, but you do not need to have rosters finalized by then (you may change them at the tournament). Please register as soon as possible.
Field: The current field can always be seen at http://www.naqt.com/registration/field. ... nt_id=4761.

Contact: If you have any questions, please contact me at [email protected].
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Re: NAQT-ACUI Region 8 SCT at UIC

Post by jonah »

The field is closed with 7 teams in Division I and 14 teams in Division II. Details will be sent to teams and staff as soon as we figure out where the tournament is being held, which hopefully will hopefully be in a place that actually has enough rooms.

We need more staff. At present, Division I teams will be scorekeeping during their byes and we'll still have to have three of the Division II rooms with solo readers, and no day-of stats.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The following information has just been sent to attending teams:

ARRIVAL: Check-in will begin at 8:30 a.m. The first tossup will be read promptly at 9:00 a.m. If you are running late, call or text me at 847-902-4228. If you are late and I am not aware of a very good reason for that fact, the game you are supposed to be playing at 9 a.m. will begin without you.

PARKING: Park at the Halsted/Taylor Parking Structure, which is unsurprisingly at the intersection of Halsted Street and Taylor Street. The address is 760 W Taylor St. Parking will cost $8.25 -- be sure to park in the ticket area, not the metered area.

CHECK-IN: Check-in and all games will be held in the Student Center East, 750 S Halsted St. Check-in is in the Cardinal Room. From the Halsted Street parking structure, cross Halsted Street and enter Student Center East (building with four flags in front). Upon entering, go right (north) towards the escalators to the second floor. After going up the escalators, turn back to the south end of the building. Prior to entering the Inner Circle, there is another set of escalators to the third floor. Upon going up the second set of escalators, make a left towards the small conference rooms; the Cardinal Room is at the north end.

EQUIPMENT: I expect to be done by 4 p.m., but no promises. Please make sure you bring as many buzzer systems, staffers, and clocks as you have promised in your registration, and make sure that all of those are in full working order. Failure on this point will result in you forfeiting the associated discounts, not to mention possibly delaying the tournament as we scramble to arrange replacements.

LOGISTICS: Division I has 7 teams, which will play a double round robin (14 rounds; each team gets 12 matches and 2 byes). Division II has 14 teams, which will play a round robin (13 rounds; each team gets 13 games). There will be a lunch break of approximately one hour at a time to be determined. ACF-style finals will follow in each division. Depending on staff availability, it may be necessary for Division I teams to scorekeep while on their bye, and there may or may not be individual statistics available on the day of the tournament. If you are able to bring additional staffers with you, please let me know immediately.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Finals have just begun. In Division I, Illinois A is advantaged over Chicago B (Undergraduate champion). In Division II, Chicago E is advantaged over Chicago D.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Illinois A won in the second game and Chicago E won in the first game of their respective finals. Stats will be up when I get home.

Edit: fix auto(in)correct
Last edited by jonah on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Congratulations to Illinois A, the Division I champion; Chicago B, the Division I Undergraduate champion; and Chicago E, the Division II champion. Statistics are available for Division I here, for Division II here, and on NAQT's website here.

My most sincere thanks to the staffers who made this tournament possible: Colby Burnett, Ashley Cox, Michael Falk, Brad Fischer, David Garb, Jeff Geringer, Teo Gomez, Alan Hancock, Connor King, Mike Laudermith, Mark Maskeri, Srinivas Panchamuhki, Greg Peterson, Alfonso Ramirez, Armin Rick, Rob Rouzer, Anant Shah, Kristin Strey, Seth Teitler, and Ruby Vega. Thanks are also, of course, due to the teams who attended, especially the Division II teams who had to suffer through my cold-addled reading.

A darkroom clock was left behind. I have no idea why; it was not, to the best of my knowledge, one of the game clocks. Let me know if it's yours.
Jonah Greenthal