MUT @ UIUC (4/20)

Old college threads.
touchpack
Rikku

MUT @ UIUC (4/20)

Post by touchpack »

The University of Illinois will be hosting a mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament on April 20th, a tournament written by Rob Carson, Mike Cheyne, Bernadette Spencer, Andrew Hart, Matt Menard (of UChicago), and Gaurav Kandlikar. This set's difficulty will be lower than regular--for a better sense of what to expect, look at previous iterations of MUT (links in the general announcement thread)

Eligibility
This tournament is restricted to undergraduate and high school students only. Graduate students and non-students cannot play.

Logistics
This tournament will be held in David Kinley Hall. (same building as IFT was held in) More details to come when we get closer to the tournament date.

Registration
To register, you must send me an e-mail at busse4 AT illinois.edu indicating your registration. This e-mail must contain:

-The number of teams you plan on bringing (if you're not sure yet, you can sign up with a range, such as "2-3," and let me know how many final teams you have later)
-The discounts you will be eligible for (see below)
-A phone number of a contact person who will be available on the day of the tournament

If you need an invoice before you can pay, LET ME KNOW so I can send you one before the tournament.

Fee Structure:
Base fee: $120
Buzzer discount: -$5 per working system (we should all know what constitutes "working")
Staffer discount: -$20 per qualified* staffer (also, free pizza for the staffer)
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles one-way (as determined by Google Maps)

*qualified means the staffer must be familiar with the rules, able to speak clearly, and able to complete a round of 20/20 within 35 minutes.

Field

House x1
Truman State x2
UIC x1
WUSTL x1
Chicago x2
Northwestern x2
MSU x1
Eureka x1
Tamil Tiger Mothers x1
Manischewitz x1
Mizzou x1
Wisconsin x1
Michigan x1
Notre Dame x1
MO Valley x1

Total: 18

The field is now closed
Last edited by touchpack on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Billy Busse
University of Illinois, B.S. '14
Rosalind Franklin University, M.S. '21, M.D. Candidate '25
Emeritus Member, ACF
Writer/Subject Editor/Set Editor, NAQT
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Re: MUT @ UIUC (3/30)

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

I hear that this tournament is going to be moved to a later date - is this true?
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
touchpack
Rikku

Re: MUT @ UIUC (4/20)

Post by touchpack »

Indeed it has--in order to not conflict with people's spring breaks, we have moved the tournament to the 20th of April.
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

OSU will be here with some number of teams, I'm sure.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

Hey, it's now less than a month to the date of the tournament and only a few schools have signed up. I'd like to see more signups soon!
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
Yeah, that's a thing
Lulu

Post by Yeah, that's a thing »

MSU should be bringing 1-2 teams.
Connor Teevens
Detroit Catholic Central '11
Michigan State University '15
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

OP is updated with a field update--I'll work out exact logistics and get a team e-mail sent before Monday. If you have not registered for this tournament yet and would like a spot in the field, please e-mail me as soon as possible! (OSU?) Also, if you haven't confirmed the exact number of teams you'll be bringing, please do that ASAP as well (Chicago? Northwestern?)
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
sanjat312
Kimahri

Post by sanjat312 »

Missouri Valley College is going to bring 1 team, 1 buzzer, and no staff.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

It turns out I can't count to 16 (thanks Notre Dame!), but that's fine, since we now have 18 teams. The field is now closed. E-mail to come soon about format/payment.
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

WUSTL and Michigan A went X-2. Chicago A went X-1.

WUSTL played against Michigan A in the prelim games and won. WUSTL proceeded to win the first game of the final, only to fall in the second game of the finals.

Thanks for everyone who came out, stats will be up at some point in the very near future.

Just a side note: We were told that some team left behind non-empty alcoholic beverages in the trash cans of our building. We're not sure who it is, but we just want to point out to all teams that's obviously illegal and has a chance of landing the Illinois club in hot water. In case it isn't explicitly clear, you are not allowed to bring any alcoholic beverages into a building on campus. In the future, please leave your booze in your car.
Ike
UIUC 13
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Thanks a bunch to Illinois for hosting a great tournament. This may have been some of the best fun I've had in quizbowl in a while. Also huge thanks to the editors of MUT. The set was awesome.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
itsthatoneguy
Rikku

Post by itsthatoneguy »

Ike wrote:WUSTL and Michigan A went X-2. Chicago A went X-1.

Just a side note: We were told that some team left behind non-empty alcoholic beverages in the trash cans of our building. We're not sure who it is, but we just want to point out to all teams that's obviously illegal and has a chance of landing the Illinois club in hot water. In case it isn't explicitly clear, you are not allowed to bring any alcoholic beverages into a building on campus. In the future, please leave your booze in your car.
Obviously it was Libo.

But seriously, this. I've noticed empty containers around Mason Hall (where we host our tournaments) in the past, so this is not a unique incident.
Bryan Berend
Detroit Catholic Central '09
Michigan '13
touchpack
Rikku

Post by touchpack »

Stats are located here
Billy Busse
Emeritus Member, ACF