Cane Ridge Revival at uWaterloo (16th March, 2014)

Old college threads.
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Cane Ridge Revival at uWaterloo (16th March, 2014)

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

Nota Bene : This tournament occurs the day after a mirror of Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament will be held, also at the University of Waterloo.

#QuickFax to start us off

Tournament : Cane Ridge Revival
Difficulty Level : Open, akin to Minnesota Open 2010 and 2011
When : SUNDAY, March 16th, 2014.
Eligibility : None whatsoever. Completely open. Anyone can play with anyone else, except Carly Rae Jepsen fans
Where : The University of Waterloo, almost certainly in the MC Building (to be confirmed)
Base Fee : $120 (see below for discounts)
Packet Submission : Absolutely not. Just bring your brains, smiles, money and Carrie Underwood albums.
Theme Song : Starlight, Taylor Swift. Those unfamiliar with the song are directed to educate themselves here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6svfDWzd-4

I am pleased to announce that the University of Waterloo be hosting a mirror of Cane Ridge Revival on SUNDAY, 16th of March, 2014. This is an open-level tournament being written collaboratively by the Chicago and Dartmouth teams. The original tournament announcement can be found here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14653

Fee Schedule

Base Fee : $120
Buzzers: -$10 each, no limit
Staffers: -$20 each, no limit
Distance (over 400 kilometres for the round trip) : $-10
All-High School Team: $-30
International (comprised entirely of people coming from outside of Canada, regardless of nationalities) : $-20

As we are hosting tournaments on both Saturday and Sunday, we expect to have a reasonable number of teams staying in Waterloo on the night of Saturday, March 15th (and possibly the Friday or the Sunday as well). To that extent, those of us at Waterloo QuizBowl are happy to open our homes to any wandering QuizBowlers who might need a place to crash that weekend. I can personally accommodate almost 10 people at my place in the combined space of my bedroom and spacious lounges. Additionally the rest of Waterloo QuizBowl will be happy to take in anyone else who might need a place. All you need to do is ask and profess your love for the Dixie Chicks.

Of course, if you insist on being unfriendly, rumour has it Waterloo has inns and hotels and such where one may spend a night or two. I know nothing about this. Ask someone else since you clearly hate me and don't wish to stay with me. This means you, Huma.

Finally, if you have any recommendations or requests for the tournament, feel free to post them here or personally contact me. We'll strive to fulfill any wishes, no matter how kooky (Please, for those of you that know me, the kookier the better. Please. Please. Please.)

If you have any questions, requests, would like to register please email me at [email protected]. If you would like to share your Russell Hantz fan art, please do so with either of Xtine Irwin or Aaron Dos Slaymedios.

A joint Facebook event has been created for both tournaments and can be found here : https://www.facebook.com/events/229464463892431/
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
cruzeiro
Rikku

Re: Cane Ridge Revival at uWaterloo (16th March, 2014)

Post by cruzeiro »

We're coming, as usual. One buzzer set, exact team number(s) to be confirmed closer to the tournament date.
odin_envy_me wrote:Eligibility : None whatsoever. Completely open. Anyone can play with anyone else, except Carly Rae Jepsen fans
This, however, may be a problem for some of us.
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Hey guys, we have rules against various internet-like activities, such as image posting, endless inside jokes, etc. I've noticed a lot of skirting of these rules in various Canadian announcement threads, and it's got to stop.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
TheRhymeMinister
Wakka

Post by TheRhymeMinister »

Carleton will be sending 1 team and 1 set of buzzers to this most wonderful tournament.
The Nick Penner
Waterloo Collegiate Institute '10
Carleton University '15
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

How did this go?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

Seven teams played. Michigan swept 9-0. Ottawa got upset twice, so there were three teams tied for second at 5-4. Aayush finished second in scoring somehow :grin:.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Rikku

Thanks to everyone who played this! Congratulations to Michigan who swept 9-0. I think everyone enjoyed playing this tournament, regardless of the difficulty (which was quite moderate, I thought). Thanks to Arjun Sondhi who TD'd his last tournament on behalf of uWaterloo and everyone else who helped staff.

Stats to come soon (whenever honorary staffer Dennis Beeby decides he doesn't hate me enough to send them to me).
bmcke wrote:Seven teams played. Michigan swept 9-0. Ottawa got upset twice, so there were three teams tied for second at 5-4. Aayush finished second in scoring somehow :grin:.
Well, that's rude! :shock:
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Thanks to everyone who made this tournament a success (staffers, organizers, competitive opponents, some of whom would characterize their victories as "upsets" when they weren't really, and my excellent teammates and travel partners).

Very enjoyable :smile:
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
cruzeiro
Rikku

Post by cruzeiro »

Prelims stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
All games: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

EDIT: fixed issue with a couple of games having no TUs heard
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
Rikku

Thanks to the occasionally tolerable Dennis Beeby for posting stats #OneOfUs #TransferToWaterlooAlready
M_Roffey
Lulu

Post by M_Roffey »

Thanks Waterloo people. Even though we took quite the beating, it was fun to participate.
Matthew Roffey
University of Western Ontario