DEES: November 22nd, 2014

Old college threads.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

DEES: November 22nd, 2014

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I am pleased to announce the imminent creation of DEES, the Demonstratively Excellent Educational Saturnalia, which I, Charlie Dees, will be head editing with the bright and chipper assistance of Victor Prieto of Rice University and Brian McPeak of the University of Maryland. This tournament will take place on the weekend of November 22nd, with potential leeway for mirrors after that point.

Who can play, you ask? Why, any team made up of students from the same school! This will not be a tournament that allows any open teams at any mirrors.

Who will be writing this tournament? Well, me and the other editors, but also you! This is going to be the only independent packet-submission event for the fall semester. All teams that have any players who participated in a college quizbowl tournament before September 1st, 2013 are required to submit a packet. In other words, if you have to write a packet to play ACF this year, then you have to write a packet to play this. NOTE TO POTENTIAL HOSTS: If you want to play a house team, and any players are required to write packets, then you still have to write us a packet!

What needs to be written about in a packet? This is the distribution I want submissions to follow:

*5/5 Literature (1/1 American, 1/1 British, 1/1 European after 500 CE, .5/.5 World, 1.5/1.5 Anything. Please be sure to represent poetry, drama, and fiction and incorporate different time periods and nations)
*5/5 History (1/1 American, 1/1 World History, 3/3 European/Canadian/Australian, with 1 question on classical history, 1 on British history, and 3 on continental Europe included)
*5/5 Science (1/1 Bio, 1/1 Physics, 1/1 Chemistry [only 1 organic chemistry question], 1/1 Math and optional Computer Science [i.e. you can either write 1/1 math or 1 math and one CS), 1/1 Astronomy and Earth Science)
*3/3 Fine Arts (1/1 Painting, 1/1 Music, 1/1 Other, with both visual and auditory arts represented)
*3/3 RMP (1/1 Myth [1 Greco-Roman, 1 other], 1/1 Religion [1 Judeo-Christian, 1 other], 1/1 Philosophy [please vary time periods])
*1/1 Social Science (to copy the ACF guidelines – “Possible topics for this category include economics, psychology, sociology, linguistics, anthropology, political science, social criticism, and law. The two questions should not come from the same field of study. Questions on Supreme Court cases go under history; other law questions may go here.)
*The remaining 2/2 will comprise of a single question from each of the following categories: Popular Culture, Current Events, Geography, and “Your Choice.” I want your choice to be a wild place for you to write questions about something that doesn’t neatly fit in another category but which is interesting.

If your packet does not follow the distribution, I will ask you to write replacement questions that can make it fit, and when your replacement submission is received will be when you receive the packet discount/penalty.

When are packets due, and how much will entry cost? Here is the submission schedule:

Sept. 7th = $90 discount
Sept. 21st = $40 discount
Sept. 27th = $20 discount
Oct 12th = $0 Penalty
Oct. 19th = $20 Penalty
Oct. 26th = $40 Penalty
Nov. 2nd = $60 Penalty

If I receive packets after November 2nd, but by November 10th, there will be a $100 penalty. I will then buy myself a stopwatch and measure how long it takes me to edit your submission. Every hour after the first one that I spend on your packet will accrue an extra $15 penalty. In other words, your submission needs to be spotless if you want to send it in that late.

All submissions after Nov. 10th will not be accepted and your team will not be allowed to play the tournament.

There will be a Times New Roman 10-point font 6-line hard cap in the final set.

The base fee is $120.

All packets must be emailed to me at [email protected]. If you want to host the tournament, also email me at [email protected]. I have been courting some mirrors, which I will update in this post as they are finalized.

Here are the currently announced sites:
Western Kentucky University on Dec. 6th
University of Waterloo on Nov. 22nd
University of Maryland on Nov. 22nd
University of Missouri

Get to writing people! See you in November!
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: DEES: November 22nd, 2014

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Since it doesn't seem to say in the first post, should submissions to this tournament be regular difficulty, "regular-minus", or something else?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF

I was in a rush to put up the announcement before my computer died and I went to bed last night, so yeah I overlooked a couple things.

Here is the difficulty instruction I gave to my editors: This is regular difficulty, so write a packet at ACF Regionals difficulty. However, I want to have any erring be on the side of ease, so basically, if you have any of those ideas that you wonder "hmm, maybe this is a little too hard, it's definitely on the cusp" then please try to tone it down or find a different answer.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

This is a list of everything that's going on right now.

Mirrors

University of Maryland on November 22nd
University of Missouri on November 22nd
MIT on November 22nd
Northwestern University on November 22nd
University of Waterloo on November 22nd

University of California, Berkeley on December 6th
Western Kentucky University on December 7th

New Trier Varsity on December 20th

Online on January 3rd

University of California, Los Angeles on January 11

Rice University on January 17th

University of Warwick on February 28

Received Packets

For the $90 discount:
Carleton A
Penn B
WUSTL A
Penn A
VCU
William and Mary

For the $80 discount:
Michigan A
Penn C (optional)

For the $70 discount:
Nobody

For the $60 discount:
Columbia B
Maryland
McGill
McMaster A
Toronto A
Virginia B
Waterloo A

For the $50 discount:
Ottawa

For the $40 discount:
Louisville

For the $20 discount:
Chicago A
Columbia A

My former post:
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:1/1 Chemistry [only 1 organic chemistry question]
To be clear, this does not mean submissions are required to submit one organic chemistry question, you can completely ignore organic if you'd like. This means submitted packets cannot contain 1/1 organic chemistry, or in other words, you may submit a organic chemistry tossup or bonus, but not both.
Last edited by Victor Prieto on Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)

The following regions have mirrors in the works, although I will decline to post individual school identities until they are ready to for sure post their announcement. If you are in these regions, go ahead and start making your plans!

Chicago-area
Missouri
West Coast
Ontario
Upper Southeast (WKU)
Mid-Atlantic
New England
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

Will this set be power marked?
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia

No.

We've now got 2 fully announced mirrors, and the other sites will be announced imminently, so write those packets! The super early discount is September 6th - realistically, is there going to be any team with a packet ready to go then? Private message me if you are planning on getting your team's packet in by the first deadline so that I can know what to expect to work on over the next few weeks.

Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Could all of these submission dates be pushed back by 1 day to Sunday? In general, it'd be nice to have an entire weekend to finish a packet, and tournaments fall on Saturdays, so it's common courtesy to give a day's leeway in submission.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.

Sure, I'll push them back to Sunday. Packets in by tomorrow will get a $90 discount.

The good boys and girls of Penn B and Cartleton University have already submitted packets, so I challenge you to get on their level!

Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:Sure, I'll push them back to Sunday. Packets in by tomorrow will get a $90 discount.
Thanks!
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.

Packets recieved...

For $90 discount:
Carleton A
Penn B
WUSTL A
Penn A
VCU
William and Mary

For the $40 discount:
Michigan A
Penn C

For the $20 discount:
Nobody

For the baseline fee:
Columbia B
Maryland
McGill
McMaster A
Toronto A
Virginia B
Waterloo A
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Send in packets by tomorrow for some discounts!

Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Hi,

I am searching for playtesters for biology, chemistry, and earth science. If you are not playing DEES, and know stuff about these things, please send me an email or PM.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

I hate to be that guy, but I sent in a pack last Friday and haven't received any confirmation it was received (nor has the list of submitted packets been updated). Did you get my packet? Any other packets come in for +20?
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

I'm also concerned about the status of this tournament. Three packet deadlines have now gone by since the last time you updated the packet list. Now that November 2 is passing, submitters of late packets need to know how much you're charging them, given that you're charging based on how long it takes to edit them. Of the seven hosts of this event, three of them aren't listed in your opening post (including the one you're directing). More locally [and local TDs should take the blame for this one], only one (WKU) seems to list an updated field with greater than 1 team listed, though even from the packets we can see in the list now, many sites should have more registrations by now (three Penn teams, W&M, two UVA teams, and Maryland at the UMD site, at least). Charlie, you need to communicate with the people who are contributing questions to and fielding teams at your tournament, letting them know that you're not dead, or designate one of your other editors to do so. Local TDs, you need to do better at getting teams from your area registered and keeping everyone abreast of the actual field they'll be competing in.

To broaden this out into a more general point for future reference: Keeping a public, updated list of submitted packets and attending teams is not just a nicety -- it actually adversely affects attendance, and revenue for TDs/editors, when that information isn't there. Some teams actually decide whether submitting a packet, attending the event, etc. is worth their time by seeing whether enough other teams are participating to make it worth their effort (and, in some cases, alter their work schedules, etc. so as to attend). When there isn't a packet list or a field available to look at, many players mistakenly assume there's nothing happening, and keep their dollars in their own pockets rather than putting them in yours. Especially if you're not sending email confirmations out upon receiving each packet, teams such as Jordan's are often at a loss as to whether their information went through at all, and it's a distinctly uneasy feeling to think that the packet you've worked on has fallen into an uncommunicative void.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

I got an e-mail confirming receipt of my packet on October 27th (so possibly all other submitted teams have received one). My apologies, should have posted here earlier.

Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

I've compiled a list of the packets that Brian and I have received and edited it into my post earlier in the page (the third reply to the original announcement). I also provided links to each of the announced DEES tournaments. I have been told that the Missouri mirror has been cancelled, thus the strikethrough.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Uh, I was for the +20 discount (and can obviously prove it). Are the other submission amounts accurate?

Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Fixed, sorry about that.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I'll note that our mirror is actually on December 7th
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Hi,

Rob Carson, Mike Cheyne, and Ike Jose have joined the project. If anybody else is not busy right now, we would appreciate more people jumping on board.

If you have submitted a packet in the past two weeks, or if you've submitted a packet and haven't seen it appear on the updated packet list (mine, not Charlie's), please resubmit it here: [email protected]

If you are hosting a mirror, please email Brian at bmcpeak at terpmail dot umd dot edu for updated hosting information.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

I can confirm Dylan's report in the other thread that Charlie Dees has been completely unresponsive to any form of communication since October 30, and this follows an earlier blackout of communications for two weeks in October. We are taking steps to ensure that this tournament happens, with or without Charlie's assistance.

Will Alston, Saul Hankin, Shan Kothari, John Lawrence, Mik Larsen, and Jacob Reed are now helping out. I can now positively state that this tournament will be completed by November 22nd.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Hi everyone,

First, a small (yet important) update before my main announcement: Tejas Raje has joined the editing team.

Right now, the number of teams playing this tournament is roughly twenty. I believe this very low number stems partially from the fact that teams don’t feel like writing packets, but I also believe this is due to the lack of adequate mirrors, late announcements, and general disorganization on that front. Considering the unusual situation regarding this tournament, we are going to allow teams who did not write a packet submission to play this tournament. In addition, we are also going to allow open teams comprised of members who are not currently enrolled in an institution to play (i.e., you can't form an open team if you are already representing a high school or college). Any team who did already submit a packet will receive a substantial discount (as if this was a packet submission optional tournament), according to the new submission schedule described below:

$120 base fee
Sept. 7th = $90 discount
Sept. 21st = $80 discount
Sept. 27th = $70 discount
Oct 12th = $60 discount
Oct. 19th = $50 discount
Oct. 26th = $40 discount
Nov. 2nd = $20 discount

I realize the danger in rewarding teams who did not want to write because they were too lazy or for whatever other reason, but I sincerely hope you understand the unique circumstances concerning this tournament. We feel that this is the best way to be fair to all the people who offered to bail out this tournament in a pinch, to the teams who submitted packets and are currently looking at tournament sites with eight teams or less, and finally to those teams who decided not to submit a packet due to the myriad logistical issues on the administrative end.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

I realize I've been doing a lot of "STRONGLY encourag[ing]" people to do things lately, so apologies if I sound like a broken record, but: TDs really, really need to take advantage of the latest policy changes by emailing every single team in their area inviting them to play. At this late date, many players may have made other plans, but you never know if an additional team or two or more (read: additional hundred dollars or two or more, plus possible staffers) could come of it.

Kudos to the folks who are volunteering to step in, and to Victor for taking the helm when crisis called. I suspect that the Expendables 3-like oversized roster of dedicated contributors will result in quite a fun set.

I do hope to hear from/about Charlie soon.
Wasabi wrote: In addition, we are also going to allow open teams comprised of members who are not currently enrolled in an institution to play (i.e., you can't form an open team if you are already representing a high school or college).
Well, now I feel like an idiot for volunteering to playtest stuff early on. Oh well.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Oops, I forgot to mention: I'm not opposed to running a late online mirror for those locations who failed to get a mirror organized, or simply have a conflict.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Wasabi wrote:Oops, I forgot to mention: I'm not opposed to running a late online mirror for those locations who failed to get a mirror organized, or simply have a conflict.
When would you envision holding such a mirror?
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Are any CA area teams willing to mirror this? I'd be interested in playing if there was a convenient mirror.

I know the next 3 weekends are out (Penn Bowl, that HS tournament, T-giving) and Dec 13th is probably too close to finals for some, which leaves Dec 6th as a viable option (maybe?)

-Gautam
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Gautam wrote:Are any CA area teams willing to mirror this? I'd be interested in playing if there was a convenient mirror.

I know the next 3 weekends are out (Penn Bowl, that HS tournament, T-giving) and Dec 13th is probably too close to finals for some, which leaves Dec 6th as a viable option (maybe?)

-Gautam
I might be fly out for a CA mirror.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

I've taken over as Auditory Arts editor for this tournament. Jacob Reed and Saul Hankin will be helping me, by writing some of the replacement questions.

Looking through the submissions, I am alarmed to find that quite a few teams made no attempt to conform to the required distribution for the Fine Arts. Some teams submitted only 1/1 Auditory Arts in their packet, making both Misc. Arts questions Visual Arts. Other teams submitted less than 1/1 straight-up Music (as defined by quizbowl practice), and then wrote 1/1 Opera to round things out. A consequence of this is that very many questions have to be thrown out and replaced, regardless of quality, because people either could not or did not follow instructions.

Charlie's original post suggested that teams that did this would have their packets sent back to them, and would not earn the discount corresponding to the deadline at which they turned the packet in. Given the time-crunch we're under, we don't have time to do this. But those teams that did not conform to the distribution will be receiving a +$10 penalty, and will be informed of that fact via an e-mail from the head editors, sent sometime in the next 24 hours.

In future, when you're submitting packets, please make everyone's life easier by simply following the distribution.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Updated list of mirrors and submitted packets. Note that the Missouri mirror has been reinstated (it was cancelled for a bit due to a lack of interested teams, but hopefully more teams should hop on now).
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Wasabi wrote:we are also going to allow open teams comprised of members who are not currently enrolled in an institution to play (i.e., you can't form an open team if you are already representing a high school or college). Any team who did already submit a packet will receive a substantial discount
I'm a bit confused: does this preclude non-collegiate players from joining otherwise-collegiate teams? And assuming open players can join a collegiate team, would that affect their discount (if they wrote) in any way? Finally, what happens to a discount if two collegiate teams which submitted (to make this a concrete example, assume McMaster and Ottawa merge) decide to play together? Finally, can collegiate-eligible players join a different college's team?

Thank you to all the people working hard to ensure this tournament's viability.

Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

minusfive wrote:
Wasabi wrote:we are also going to allow open teams comprised of members who are not currently enrolled in an institution to play (i.e., you can't form an open team if you are already representing a high school or college). Any team who did already submit a packet will receive a substantial discount
I'm a bit confused: does this preclude non-collegiate players from joining otherwise-collegiate teams? And assuming open players can join a collegiate team, would that affect their discount (if they wrote) in any way? Finally, what happens to a discount if two collegiate teams which submitted (to make this a concrete example, assume McMaster and Ottawa merge) decide to play together? Finally, can collegiate-eligible players join a different college's team?

Thank you to all the people working hard to ensure this tournament's viability.
Teams consisting entirely of players not enrolled in an institution will be allowed to play, but teams consisting of members attending from two or more institutions will not, nor will teams consisting of players that are not currently enrolled in an institution plus players that are enrolled in an institution. By enrolled in an institution, I basically mean eligible to play an NAQT or ACF tournament, and by institution, I mean either college or high school.

To answer your questions directly, non-collegiate players may not join collegiate teams, and collegiate players may not join with players from another college to form a team. Discounts will not be affected by this rule.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Hi,

An update on the status of this tournament: the literature, history, visual arts, mythology, and geography/CE/trash/other are pretty much complete. The remaining categories should be mopped up by Friday morning. However, there is something else everyone should be informed of.

In the initial chaos of the reorganization of this tournament with Charlie's departure, I set a 21/21 distribution which I thought would be fine, with the 21st tossup serving as the tiebreaker. Unfortunately, this presents an issue: a single category would be missing each round, or, a round would have only three literature/history/science questions. To rectify this issue, rather than reducing any single category, we have decided to mandate that each round will consist of 21 tossups and 21 bonuses, rather than the 20/20 we are accustomed to (I believe Minnesota Open 2012 did something similar). As there are 15 rounds, we hope that this will only extend tournaments by 15 to 20 minutes.

If you would like to look at this positively (as I do), you're getting a little more bang for your buck.

Here is the final distribution for this tournament:

4/4 Literature
4/4 History
4/4 Science
1/1 Painting
1/1 Music
1/1 Other Arts (split between visual and auditory)
1/1 Religion
1/1 Mythology
1/1 Philosophy
1/1 Social Science
2/2 Geography/Current Events/Trash/"Other"
21/21 Total

I'm terribly sorry that this tournament is so atypical, but again, we are hoping that you all will recognize the unusual circumstances we are under. Thank you so much for your understanding.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

I'm sorry for the short notice, but I am an open player attending the Waterloo mirror tomorrow. There are currently no other open players and the RIT team has one player also. Would it be alright for us to play the tournament together?
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Hey everyone,

There was a packetizing error in Penn A's packet which we didn't see until it was pointed out to us this morning. I just sent out an updated Penn A packet to the five hosts, please make sure you use the updated doc.

In addition, the tiebreakers forgot to be included in the final zip file.

Sorry about that, should hopefully not cause any permanent damage.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

How many packets are there in the final set?

EDIT: Never mind, I think I found that it's 15.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Is the set going to be posted now that the last mirror is over?
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

Ah, it's not quite clear yet due to a request for use as NASAT tryout material next weekend. We'll post the set afterwards.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

DEES 2014 packets are now pending upload to the database, where they will be found here.

If an administrator can make the discussion threads public, that'd be nice.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE