ACF Regionals 2016 Northeast @ Harvard (1/30/16)

Old college threads.
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

ACF Regionals 2016 Northeast @ Harvard (1/30/16)

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Hello, all! This is the general announcement for the Northeast site of ACF Regionals 2016, which will be hosted by Harvard on January 30, 2015. I (Raynor Kuang) will be tournament directing. ACF Regionals will be a packet submission college-regular tournament, and the primary method for qualifying for ACF Nationals. The global announcement can be found here.

Time, Location, and Transportation

Registration will take place from 8:30 to 9:00 AM, with the tournament to begin soon after. The tournament will take place in the 2nd floor of Sever Hall, in Harvard Yard. There are a variety of parking options around Harvard Square, but I highly recommend taking public transportation instead: the T has a stop conveniently in Harvard Square.

Learning from last year, I'd recommend looking up the weather reports ahead of time and then allotting extra time as needed for any snow reports. Boston is not fun in the winter ;_;

Distribution and Fee Structure
Distribution and fee structure are described in the global thread linked above, as well as packet submission guidelines and resulting fee penalties. Payment is done directly through ACF, so no need to bring any money to the tournament day of.

Registration
To register, fill out the ACF provided form, linked here. This is the only way to register. That said, you should additionally email/PM me directly if any of your registration information changes so I can be immediately aware of it (or any other important things you need to tell me).

This tournament will be hard-capped at 20 teams. Best way to increase the cap is to bring staffers! As of now, I can only give 50% odds that the cap will be increased.

Other

For ACF related questions, refer to the global thread or contact [email protected]. Tournament related questions can be directed to my email, listed above.

We hope to see you at what should be a great tournament!
Last edited by UlyssesInvictus on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: ACF Regionals 2016 Northeast @ Harvard (1/30/16)

The following is taken from the global ACF registration form, so if something doesn't seem right, you'll need to change the details there. (Or I just haven't noticed/updated the difference in listings yet.)

TEAM | BUZZERS | STAFF
-------------------------------
Rochester A | 2 | 0
Rochester B | 0 | 0
Amherst A | 0 | 0
Amherst B | 0 | 0
MIT A | 0 | 0
MIT B | 0 | 0
Dartmouth A | 1 | 1
MIT C | 0 | 0
Yale A | 2 | 0
Yale B | 0 | 0
Yale C | 0 | 0
Rutgers A | 0 | 0
Brown | 0 | 0
Penn A | 0 | 0
Penn B | 0 | 0
Princeton | 1 | 0
Columbia A | 3 | 0
Columbia B | 0 | 0
Columbia C | 0 | 0
Columbia D | 0 | 0
Rutgers B | 0 | 0
NYU A | 1 | 2
TOTAL: 22 | 10 | 3
Last edited by UlyssesInvictus on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: ACF Regionals 2016 Northeast @ Harvard (1/30/15)

Columbia just signed up 4 teams, so we have a little more leeway on buzzers--but still bring extras if you have them!--but I'm going to cap the teams now. Any teams signing up after this point shouldn't expect any guarantee that they'll be able to play if they don't also happen to have staff with them.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

UlyssesInvictus wrote:There are a variety of parking options around Harvard Square, but I highly recommend taking public transportation instead: the T has a stop conveniently in Harvard Square.
A warning for teams planning to take public transportation to this tournament: on all weekends in January, buses are replacing the subway on a portion of the red line between downtown Boston and Harvard. I can personally attest that the bus service can be slower than a wave of roadborne molasses, so you may want to consider options like taking a cab/Uber from South Station to Harvard.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

t-bar wrote:
UlyssesInvictus wrote:There are a variety of parking options around Harvard Square, but I highly recommend taking public transportation instead: the T has a stop conveniently in Harvard Square.
A warning for teams planning to take public transportation to this tournament: on all weekends in January, buses are replacing the subway on a portion of the red line between downtown Boston and Harvard. I can personally attest that the bus service can be slower than a wave of roadborne molasses, so you may want to consider options like taking a cab/Uber from South Station to Harvard.
Thanks for pointing this out. The buses take 30-40 minutes extra (from experience grumble grumble), so I definitely agree with Stephen. Ubers/Lyfts from South to Harvard are usually in the range of <$15 if there's no surge going on.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

NYU's generous offer to bring two staffers allows us to bring them and Rutgers B off the waitlist, bringing the number of teams to 22. That's a nice round number, so I'm going to set the new cap there and place all other teams on a waitlist.

We're in a better place with regard to staffers, but I still wouldn't mind extras; and we'll still take extra buzzers as well.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

All registered teams should have received an email from me with logistics information. If you didn't receive such an email, PM me with your desired contact email. The above field list is current and final.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Columbia won both games of an advantaged final over MIT to take the tourney. Ben has scoresheets; he's travelling right now, so presumably they'll be up tomorrow.

We had a late start because of scheduling issues and missing buzzers*, but we managed to catch back, so I hope everyone enjoyed the tournament. I'm sure the editors will post a discussion thread for the set soon, so do keep an eye out for that as well.

*Please bring your buzzers :(
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Now that I've had a little more rest, I want to extend the usual thanks to all my staffers and the teams who participated. In particular, I want to thank Ben Zhang from Columbia, who essentially took over as TD for 2 hours while I ran around Harvard campus looking for an extra buzzer set.

I've managed to forget (again) who the Undergraduate and DII winners are, so unfortunately we'll have to wait for Ben's stats for that as well. (Though I think the winners might have been relayed the information somehow near the scramble at the tournament end, so they might know.)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM