Delta Burke 2016

Old college threads.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Delta Burke 2016

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Hide your wife! Hide your kids! Delta Burke returns on November 11-12, 2016, in The City Beautiful, Orlando, Florida. As always, this tournament is written for community college players as an introduction to the game. I don't imagine any of the CC teams who expect to play in Florida will use this board as their way of finding out about the tournament, but if you'd like to send a CC team to Orlando and don't want to e-mail me, feel free to post here!

More important for the rest of y'all is noting that once again mirrors will be available, with a mirror fee of $200/team so my own team can afford to fly to Minneapolis for CCCT. Ho ho, no, really we'll just bump it up to $30/team. And this year for real I'm not going to be interested in any mirrors after the end of April. Also, though it's certainly up to any site interested in mirroring, keep in mind this is definitely a novice set (with odd quirks), so I wouldn't recommend it for really strong fields. Considering that only two actual CC teams crested 14 ppb last year, we're actually striving to make middle clues a little easier, so caveat emptor.

At the Orlando site the fees will work like this:
$125 for first team
-$10 for buzzer we use (unlimited)
-$10 for each staffer used (unlimited)
$100 flat rate for second team
$90 flat rate for third team (or more)

We will definitely have 12 rounds, and we likely will have 13 (but plan for 12 till you hear different). For mirror inquiries, shoot me an e-mail: cborglum at valenciacollege dot edu

PS: Barring some concrete proof of their players absolutely never having held a buzzer before September, 2016, I will be excluding four-year schools at the Orlando site (sorry UCF and NCF). Obviously mirror sites can invite anyone they want.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Re: Delta Burke 2016

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

2016 Mirrors of Delta Burke

November 12: Northern Illinois University: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=19032

November 27: McMaster University (Hamilton, Ontario): http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=19013

January 21: Ohio State:
Chris Borglum
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

So we held this tournament, and it was dandy. Toss-ups were converted very well across the field, but all the readers agreed that very few toss-ups were answered before the penultimate or final line. I think our lead-ins didn't do much to differentiate the community college field at our site, but conversely I bet many of them will seem too easy for the four-year tournament fields.

Stats: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... standings/

I'll see about setting up a private discussion forum.
Chris Borglum
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Is there any chance this set could be posted?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Yes! There is a 100% chance! Thanks to your reminder, I've submitted the set to the archive.

Sorry for the delay--there was a July mirror in England, and frankly I just forgot about it. But I hope folks will practice with their new players on the set and let me know what they think of it.
Chris Borglum