2017 ACF Regionals at Warwick (18/2/17)

Old college threads.
Ben Salter
Lulu

2017 ACF Regionals at Warwick (18/2/17)

Post by Ben Salter »

Hello!

I am delighted to announce that the UK mirror of ACF Regionals 2017 will take place at the University of Warwick, on the 18th of February, 2017. The tournament will probably be held either in the Humanities or Social Sciences department, and registration will begin at 9:30 for a 10:00 start. The field is currently capped at 16 teams – there is potential to expand this if demand exists depending on both room and moderator availability.

Registration
To register for this tournament, please write to us at [email protected] with team name, number, and buzzer/staffer information.
Please then fill out the central registration form with all relevant information, which can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/eG6MUxgT25mHRgQH2

Fees

Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$10/staffer
Shorthanded fee (teams of 1 or 2 players): $60
New to quizbowl discount: -$100

New to Quizbowl discount is intended for schools which did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament (exclusively Novice tournaments do not count) since September 2015, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.

Note that these fees are currently in USD – they will be changed to GBP once I have confirmed the exchange rate we will be using.

Packet Submission
Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament* (either as a university student or as a high school student) prior to September 1, 2015 is required to submit a packet.

* For these purposes, all ACF tournaments, NAQT Division I or Division II SCT, NAQT ICT, and typical academic invitationals and summer opens count as regular collegiate academic tournaments. Trash or “hybrid” tournaments, College Bowl/HCASC, and tournaments played on NAQT's Collegiate Novice series sets do not. If you are unsure as to whether your team is required to write a packet, feel free to ask me and I’ll be happy to advise.

The submission schedule for this tournament is:
11th December, 2016: -$50
28th December, 2016: -$25
8th January, 2017: +$0
22nd January, 2017: +$25
5th February, 2017: +$50
After that, +$10 for each additional day that you're late.
After 12th February, you will be dropped from the tournament, with no exceptions.

Again, note that these prices are in USD, and will be changed to GBP when possible.

Further information regarding the distribution and instructions for packet submission, as well as other details, can be found on the original announcement here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19259
Ben Salter
Warwick '17
Ben Salter
Lulu

Re: 2017 ACF Regionals at Warwick (18/2/17)

Post by Ben Salter »

This happened. It was great.

After clearing the field in the prelims, Oxford A then lost to both Oxford B and Cambridge A, so that after 12 games we had 3 teams on 10/2. By virtue of their higher PPG, Oxford A got a ticket to the final, whilst Oxford B and Cambridge A had to have a play-in game to decide who would advance.

In a tight game that came down to the last 2 tossups, Oxford B pulled ahead, winning 305-265. They then went up against Oxford A in the final, which Oxford A convincingly won 355-150.

Thanks to all the people who came to both play and moderate. Congratulations to Aidan Mehigan and Joey Goldman, the highest scorers in the prelims and overall respectively, and to Oxford A for yet another exciting win.

Stats can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4134/
Ben Salter
Warwick '17