NAQT SCT at Georgia Tech (Sunday, February 5, 2017)

Old college threads.
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

NAQT SCT at Georgia Tech (Sunday, February 5, 2017)

Post by 1.82 »

This is the general announcement for NAQT Sectionals at Georgia Tech, to be hosted at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta on Sunday, February 5, 2017. A full list of hosts can be viewed on NAQT's website. Please note that this tournament will be held on Sunday instead of Saturday due to university regulations. If this is an unworkable situation for your team, please attend a different site. On behalf of the Georgia Tech Academic Team, I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.

Location, directions & parking:
The tournament take place in the Instructional Center building on the Georgia Tech campus, located at 759 Ferst Drive, Atlanta, GA 30318. Free street parking is available on Means Street south of Marietta Street (in this approximate area), which is roughly a five-minute walk from the site of the tournament.

Eligibility:
Teams competing at NAQT SCT must conform to NAQT's collegiate eligibility rules. A team competing in DII must meet the requirements laid out here by NAQT. Teams not eligible to compete in DII must compete in DI. If you are registering a DI team, please clearly indicate which players and teams are undergraduate, as that will determine undergraduate scoring prizes, the undergraduate trophy, and the undergraduate bid for ICT.

Registration & fees:
Base fee: $125 per team
Multiple team discount: -$25 per team (for every team after the first)
New school discount: -$20 per team (has not attended an NAQT college tournament in the past two years)
Buzzer discount: -$10
Experienced staffer discount: -$30
Clock discount: -$5

The minimum fee is $40 per team, except for new teams (for whom the minimum fee is $25). Discounts for staffers may only be claimed if you are transporting and/or lodging the staffer in question. If I judge your buzzer to not be functional or your staffer to lack experience, I will not provide a discount.

The only way to register for this tournament is via NAQT's website. Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you have any questions, but I cannot take registrations via e-mail.

Method of payment:
All players must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if your procedures require it. Unless cleared with me beforehand, teams that do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount.

We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment. Bringing forms of payment outside of the three listed will be considered nonpayment and subject you to the $25 late payment penalty.

All checks must be made out to "Georgia Tech Academic Team." If you bring a check not made out to "Georgia Tech Academic Team" and have no other method of paying for the tournament, you will be subject to the $10 late payment penalty.

Team & roster size:
Up to four players on a team may play at one time. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game for teams composed of more than four players. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day: in other words, no switching from the B team to the A team, etc.

Field:

Division I
Georgia (2 teams)
Georgia Tech (1 team)

Division II
Auburn (1 team)
Georgia (1 team)
South Carolina (1 team)
Last edited by 1.82 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Rikku
Location: a vibrant metropolis, the equal of Paris or New York

Re: NAQT SCT at Georgia Tech (Sunday, February 5, 2017)

Post by 1.82 »

This field was consolidated and all games were played on the Division II set. Georgia A won the tournament by beating Georgia Tech in the first game of an advantaged final. South Carolina finished three games ahead of the next-highest Division II team and was awarded the Division II title.

Stats are up.
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
JKHtay
Wakka

Post by JKHtay »

We found a scarf and a power cable for a buzzer in Room 213 (which I believe had a USC buzzer). If either of these are yours, please post and we'll find a way to give them to you (probably at ACF Regs).
Justin Htay

Centennial HS 2016
GT 2020
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

The scarf was not mine or Bryn's. Thanks for hosting; see you all at Regionals!
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum