Waterloo's Newfoundland Celebratory Tournament (EMT) 01/04

Old college threads.
Sigurd
Lulu

Waterloo's Newfoundland Celebratory Tournament (EMT) 01/04

Post by Sigurd »

Introduction
The University of Waterloo is pleased to announce that we will be mirroring the Eisenhower Memorial Tournament on Saturday April 1st. Though the set will be EMT, we are calling this tournament "UWaterloo's Newfoundland Celebratory Tournament" to celebrate the fact our 10th province joined confederation on March 31, 1949. Thanks Newfoundland, you have cool history and high quality hiking! Anyhow, details regarding the set can be found in the original forum post: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19515

Eligibility
This tournament's eligibility is restricted to undergraduate [i.e. without a bachelors degree] students (in the traditional MUT style), representing the same institution. High schools teams and players are eligible. Exceptions to these rules may be granted closer to the date of the tournament, depending on the state of the field.

Location and Schedule:
Format and rooms will be determined closer to the date of the tournament, once we have an idea of what the field will look like. Tournament Location will likely be at either Waterloo's Brutalist Quizbowl Headquarters, Mathematics and Computing, or perhaps our slightly nicer new home of JR Coutts Engineering Lecture Hall (RCH). Or maybe some other fun location on UW campus! In any case, except a start time between 8:30-9:00AM.

The preliminary field cap for this tournament is 13, but that will change depending on the staff (and possibly room) situation.

Costs:
Base fee: $120 per team
Working buzzer discount: $5 each
Approved moderator discount: $10 each
Travel discount: $10 (more than 321.87KM one way according to Google maps)

Payment [NEW AND UPDATED!!!!]:
For this tournament, we will be experimenting with e-payments to increase the ease of payment and improve transaction documentation for both security and to ensure we are satisfying University regulations. Teams may pay through either Interac e-transfer (I'll be in contact with teams about this closer to the date of the tournament) or Cheques made out to "University of Waterloo Quizbowl"

To register, please e-mail me at [email protected], or get in touch with me some other way if that is more convenient for you. Please remember to include how many teams, buzzers and staffers you are bringing.

Side Events?
Open to suggestions for side events on sunday. After the success of the guerilla tournament [REDACTED], and the brilliance of Eliza Grames, I might be inclinded to do something like this if people are interested.

Field: (Teams, Buzzers, Staffers)
House (2/1/2)
Toronto (2/1/2)
McMaster (1/0/2)
University of Scab-Exhibition College (1/0/0)
Last edited by Sigurd on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Isaac Thiessen
Martingrove CI 2015
Waterloo 2020
Sigurd
Lulu

Re: Waterloo's Newfoundland Celebratory Tournament (EMT) 01/

Post by Sigurd »

The field has been filled to 6 and is now capped. This includes an exhibition team consisting of non-eligible players, while some objections were raised to this, I believe it is a good alternative to having a five team field (teams will now get 2 more games) and it has been approved by the editors.

The control room will be RCH 301 and the opening meeting will be at 8:30, with a start ASAP after that, and no later than 9AM. Lunch will occur after round five.

Thanks! And I look forward to seeing you all Saturday.
Isaac Thiessen
Martingrove CI 2015
Waterloo 2020
TheCanadianOwl
Kimahri

Re: Waterloo's Newfoundland Celebratory Tournament (EMT) 01/

Post by TheCanadianOwl »

When you get a 45 point game when you didn't do anything...
Leo Ortega
University of Waterloo September 2016 – March 2018, January 2020 – August 2023