GHOTI - Another Geo Side Event (Winter 2017/18?)

Old college threads.
Senator_Jay
Rikku

GHOTI - Another Geo Side Event (Winter 2017/18?)

Post by Senator_Jay »

Hey everyone!

Like many of you, I have recently thoroughly enjoyed playing Kenji's GEODUCK set.
Like a possibly smaller set of you, I have always enjoyed playing Geography Monstrosity.
And like what I can only imagine would be a significantly smaller set of you, I have felt inspired by my love of geography trivia to write yet another set, but with the emphasis on historical geography (particularly places that no longer exist) :grin:

That having been said, I'd like to announce that I am currently working on GHOTI (Geographical History, Odditites, Trivia, and Insanity), which I am aiming to complete by sometime this winter.

I have written 5 packets, with 3 of them needing to be play-tested. I'm also planning on writing a seeding/tiebreaker pack of significantly shorter questions (re: 1-liners) over the next few days. In my experience, and based on what I've written, I would say that the average difficulty might generally be at CO or beyond, and thus this set will not be for the faint-hearted. There will be some answers in each pack that would be accessible to most players with at least some experience (at least at the giveaway; ie, "what is this current capital of Tanzania?"), and at least a few where I would expect very few people to be able to answer, but should at least recognize as being a thing (again, at least by the giveaway; ie, "what is this ancient southern capital of Elam?"). From the first couple playtestings, even some non-geography/history people were able to get at least 1 or 2 tossups each pack.

Here is the rough plan:

At least 5 packets
20 tossups + 1 tiebreaker per pack
Power-marked
8-10ish lines/tossup (11 line maximum)

Distribution

At least 1 "Historically Significant Commodity" per pack (ie, "gold")
At least 1 "Building" per pack (ie, "White House")
At least 1 "Explorer/Cartography" per pack (ie, "Christopher Columbus")
At least 1 "Mythogeography" per pack (ie, "Atlantis")
At least 1 "Other Unreal Geography" per pack (ie, "Mos Eisley")
At least 1 "Space Geography" per pack (ie, "Titan")
At least 1 "Lit Geography" per pack (ie, "Works set in NYC")
At least 4 "Current Geography" per pack (includes extant places, geographic features, etc.)
At least 4 "Historical Geography" per pack (includes no longer extant places, geographic features, etc.)

I will not hide the fact that I am mostly writing about things which I enjoy and which I find interesting. This means that there will likely be more questions than not which would be described as "World" content, there may be some linguistic clues, probably more "Historical" than "Current" questions in general.

If you are at all interested in playing this set, that's awesome! I'll try to remember to post updates here as they come up. I'm intending for this to be run as a side event at whichever tournament(s) are happening around when this is completed, for about $10/person.

Hopefully some people will want to play this!
Last edited by Senator_Jay on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: GHOTI - Another Geo Side Event (Winter 2017/18?)

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

As long as there are no tossups on the answerline "history of Micronesia" I would love to play this tournament in some form, and will lobby for it to be run as an attraction at whatever winter open site I attend.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:As long as there are no tossups on the answerline "history of Micronesia" I would love to play this tournament in some form, and will lobby for it to be run as an attraction at whatever winter open site I attend.
As long as there are no tossups on literally any Geo thing from Bork I would love to play this
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Sit Room Guy wrote:
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:As long as there are no tossups on the answerline "history of Micronesia" I would love to play this tournament in some form, and will lobby for it to be run as an attraction at whatever winter open site I attend.
As long as there are no tossups on literally any Geo thing from Bork I would love to play this

that tossup on the Equator was a masterpiece and you darn well better admit it
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

*UPDATE*

I have just completed Packet 3 for this tournament (which I am about to playtest with some of my students), and have started planning out Packet 4. After having playtested the first two packets, feedback has been generally along the lines of "I'm glad I was able to get some things", and "These questions seem fair enough, but I wish I had prepared better". My plan is to have all 5 packets finished by very early January, as I'll have more time to devote to completing them over Christmas break.

So far I have heard from one site (other than the poor Canadian site I'll be subjecting this to in the new year) interested in running this; please contact me if you have some history/geography/social sciences to arrange a mirror for this!
Jay Misuk
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

GHOTI is now complete! (see edited announcement above)

I'm going to get the last couple packets playtested in the next few days, and am hoping to have created some sort of seeding/tiebreaker pack to accompany this that will consist of 1-2 line questions along the lines of "What was the capital of Southern Rhodesia?"

So far there are at least 2 schools mirroring this...please let me know if your school is interested, the whole set will be ready to go in the next week or so.
Jay Misuk

A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Senator_Jay wrote:GHOTI is now complete! (see edited announcement above)

I'm going to get the last couple packets playtested in the next few days, and am hoping to have created some sort of seeding/tiebreaker pack to accompany this that will consist of 1-2 line questions along the lines of "What was the capital of Southern Rhodesia?"

So far there are at least 2 schools mirroring this...please let me know if your school is interested, the whole set will be ready to go in the next week or so.
Where and when is this getting mirrored? I want to make sure I don't miss it.
Jakob M. (they/them)
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Ditto.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

So far, unconfirmed mirrors are (subject to change):

Florida (Jan 20)
Waterloo (Feb 3)

Still looking for more takers! Otherwise, I could bring this to ICT or something, if there's no room in the tournament schedule from now til April.

The whole set should take about 3-4ish hours to play through, depending on reader/buzzing, etc.
Jay Misuk

Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Hey all, if there's any interest in doing this set at ICT this weekend, I'll be available Saturday evening. hmu if you're interested in racking your brains even more after the main event!
Jay Misuk

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Senator_Jay wrote:Hey all, if there's any interest in doing this set at ICT this weekend, I'll be available Saturday evening. hmu if you're interested in racking your brains even more after the main event!
I'd be happy to do this Friday evening; there's a big side event Saturday evening already.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:
Senator_Jay wrote:Hey all, if there's any interest in doing this set at ICT this weekend, I'll be available Saturday evening. hmu if you're interested in racking your brains even more after the main event!
I'd be happy to do this Friday evening; there's a big side event Saturday evening already.
If this is happening then, I won't be in Chicago until fairly late Friday evening; an online mirror would be the only way I could play this set (which I really want to do). Are there any plans for that?
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Ah yes, I see that now. We can do sometime tonight, I'm thinking around 9:30ish? I'm hoping to get to the hotel by 7-8ish, so we can arrange to meet around then in that elevator cluster. If you're gonna be a bit later, we can push it ahead a bit. Should take about 2hrs to run through.
Jay Misuk

CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Senator_Jay wrote:
Ah yes, I see that now. We can do sometime tonight, I'm thinking around 9:30ish? I'm hoping to get to the hotel by 7-8ish, so we can arrange to meet around then in that elevator cluster. If you're gonna be a bit later, we can push it ahead a bit. Should take about 2hrs to run through.
I'm very down for this, but will second the "maybe push it to 10pm" crowd.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Hey everyone, so I'm ok pushing this til 10pm. I'll be down by the elevators on the main floor (where the lobby is) by 9:30 though so if you wanna hangout there prior, then cool. If you don't know who I am by now, I'm the Canadian with red hair and glasses, and am wearing a Harry Potter shirt. If you are late, we may be moving to a room, which will be posted here at that time. Thanks!
Jay Misuk

Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Hey all, we have set up shop in Dulles, on the lobby floor near the NAQT check-in, and we'll be starting by 10:15.
Jay Misuk

CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Hi everyone,

I'm running an online mirror. Here's a link to a doodle poll to figure out a date. I'll announce the date in around a week.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

CPiGuy wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm running an online mirror. Here's a link to a doodle poll to figure out a date. I'll announce the date in around a week.
Any update on this, or are you waiting on more responses?
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Let's run this on June 5th. I'm open to time suggestions; I was thinking early evening (starting at, say, 5pm EST). No advance signups necessary, although I've made a signup sheet so that we know to expect you. I'll post a link to a Discord later.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

CPiGuy wrote:Let's run this on June 5th. I'm open to time suggestions; I was thinking early evening (starting at, say, 5pm EST). No advance signups necessary, although I've made a signup sheet so that we know to expect you. I'll post a link to a Discord later.
Could this be pushed back an hour or two? Starting during work hours in Central time means I will barely be able to play.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Reminder that this is happening tomorrow. I'll start at 6PM EST with the speedcheck questions, and then move on to the actual packets.

If there is pricing, I'll announce it shortly after I talk to Jay and also get the packets.

Here's a Discord link.
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

so, this did in fact happen, but I have only gotten around to providing stats now.

Jakob Myers narrowly edged out Oli Clarke. There were a lot of negs.

Individual stats as follows:

Jakob Myers 14/17/22
Oliver Clarke 9/19/15
Stephen Eltinge 3/5/1
Tejas Raje 4/3/3
Sam Rombro 2/2/0
Hidehiro Anto 0/4/5
Thomas de Bock 0/1/1
Jeremy Tsai 1/2/5
Ben Salter 0/1/0 (2 rounds)
Ewan MacAulay 0/2/6 (2 rounds)
Jeff Xie 0/0/9