ACF Fall 2017 at Ohio State (11/4/17)

Old college threads.
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

ACF Fall 2017 at Ohio State (11/4/17)

Post by DumbJaques »

I am pleased to announce the Great Lakes site of ACF Fall 2017, to be held at The Ohio State University on Saturday, November 4 2017. ACF Fall is the premier introductory-level collegiate quizbowl tournament, and we're looking forward to seeing a number of new and returning faces. The tournament will be held in Enarson Classroom Building at OSU (specific meeting room instructions will be posted the week of the tournament). I will be serving as TD.

Registration
Registration for this event has two steps:
First, please email me at [email protected] with your team name, number, and buzzer/staffer information.
Second, please fill out the ACF Central Registration Form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... =send_form).

Fees
Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$10/staffer
Shorthanded fee (teams of 1 or 2 players): $60
"New to Quizbowl" discount: $100

Packet Discounts/Penalties
Any team with at least two people on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2015 is required to submit a packet.

Half-packet templates will be sent out to your team after you have submitted the registration form. If you have questions on the submission guidelines, email them to [email protected] and they’ll clarify.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2017: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Submission schedule
The submission schedule is as follows:

The submission schedule is:
September 9: -$30
September 23: -$15 (-$30 if optional)
October 7: No penalty (-$15 if optional)
October 14: +$25
October 21: +$50

Further penalty for packets later than October 21.

Payment
Payment for ACF Fall will be processed through the ACF Treasurer, Gautam Kandlikar. He will get in touch with you about how much your team owes, how to pay for the tournament, etc. Please contact Gautam at [email protected] with any questions regarding payment.

Note Regarding High School Teams
High school teams are no longer allowed to compete in Collegiate ACF Fall events. The ACF Fall set is, however, available for high school mirrors. For more information, refer to the Global Announcement of ACF Fall 2017 or email the editors at [email protected].

Parking and Logistics:
The best place to park is in one of the pay lots by the stadium, or in the Lane Avenue Parking Garage (it's around $12.50 for the day).

We look forward to seeing you at the tournament. Please feel free to email me with any questions.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Re: ACF Fall 2017 at Ohio State (11/4/17)

Post by DumbJaques »

Running Field:
Carnegie Mellon: 2 teams, 2 buzzers
Michigan: 4 teams, 3 buzzers
Kenyon: 2 teams
Wright State: 1 team, 1 buzzer
Miami University 2 teams, 2 buzzers
Michigan State: 3 teams, ? buzzers
Case Western Reserve University: 1 team, 1 buzzers
Western Kentucky University: 2 teams, 2 buzzers
Louisville: 2 teams, 2 buzzers, 1 staffer
Kentucky: 3 teams, 1 buzzer
Pitt: 2 team's, 2 buzzers
OSU house: 2+ teams
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

We're approaching our field cap, so anyone interested in the tournament should definitely contact me asap.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

The field is now set for this event. Please meet in Enarson 245. We will begin registration at 8:15, with rounds to begin at 8:45. If you are late and have not contacted me with a compelling reason, we will begin reading round 1 without you.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Also, we have the BUMPY set (a visual movie tournament), and will run it after the main event if interest is sufficient.
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
DumbJaques

Post by DumbJaques »

Congratulations to Michigan State, who defeated Kentucky in the first game of an advantaged final to win ACF Fall. Wright State won the DII title in impressive fashion, as the only DII team in the top bracket and certainly the only one in the mix for the overall title. CMU C took our second-place DII prize.

Sincere thanks to those who helped staff this event, especially our volunteers Jarret Greene, Seth Teitler, Joe Wells, Evan Gutter, and Jon Huang (our club's resident moderating superhero), without all of whom this tournament would not have been possible. Aakash Singh, Allison Salach, Amol Gandhi, Aniketh Udipi, Brian Easterling, Clark Smith, Chris Schroth, Jeffrey Yang, Joanne Rhode, Hasaan Parker, Laurel Spangler, Matt Esker, Rachel Meyer, Michael Zhan, Tristan Mooney.re i It's heartening to see the OSU club back in a place where it can effectively run 24-team tournaments.
Lastly, extra extra special thanks of all to Ramapriya Rangaraju, our only non-local staffer, who heroically stepped in to sort out an unexpected SQBS pickle, helping the tournament run smoothly at a crucial time.

Though all in all I'm quite happy with how the tournament ran - we finished playoffs at around 5:45 (except one game whose teams, I think, both coincidentally believed they were on bye during the wrong round). This is a bit later than I wanted to, due to some delays with rebracketing, but overall pretty decent for a 24-team tournament.

We also had to use a pretty wonky playoff format for this event, because we had 24 teams and there had to be byes. I made the decision not to play around with reading different packet for different brackets each round, given that a slight error could detonate the whole tournament (and indeed, somehow, someone DID read the wrong packet one round, despite the packets being password protected).
[Actually, on this note: Please do not password-protect your packets with SOME PACKETS HAVING THE SAME PASSWORD BECAUSE OF 2007 NBA ROSTER LIMITS AND YOUR NEED TO PRESERVE YOUR "FUNNY" PASSWORD SCHEME!!! The place to make NBA jokes is in bracket names, as everyone knows.]

Unfortunately, this basically left us having to use a wildcard system to round out playoff brackets, ranking by finish-in-bracket and then ppg, which is a bummer. It's really not how I would've wanted to do things, but no other options seemed on the table. Due to some clutch performances by CMU, Wright State, and Kentucky, we ended up with a three-way tie for second place (to earn a spot in an advantaged final). Packet constraints prevented playing this off on full games, and the affected teams then voted (blind to stats), electing to sort by playoff ppg, which put Kentucky in the final. I apologize that we weren't able to find a different solution, perhaps with more ingenious scheduling from the start, though the drops of two teams in the last few days before the tournament left us basically with the field size from hell.

Full stats are available at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/. Thanks to all teams for attending!
Chris Ray
OSU
ACF, PACE
armitage
Wakka

Post by armitage »

Hey sorry about the password repeat I was just really sleepy. My bad.
Richard