NAQT Collegiate Novice (IS-168C) at Tusculum (TN), 10/28/17

Old college threads.
ShorterPearson
Wakka

NAQT Collegiate Novice (IS-168C) at Tusculum (TN), 10/28/17

Post by ShorterPearson »

This post will constitute a preliminary announcement for the inaugural Pioneer Collegiate Novice, hosted at Tusculum College in Greeneville, Tennessee on October 28th, 2017.

This tournament will also serve as a statement of arrival for the Tusculum Quizbowl program, currently being established with the faculty support of Chuck Pearson, who has possibly done this before.

(We are a new program, however; experienced readers are encouraged to contact Pearson, for he has a job for you.)

The tournament, like all of the others that are being scheduled using NAQT questions about the countryside, will use the IS-168C packet set. Gentle reminder that this tournament is not set up to compete with others running this set, that you should attend an NAQT Collegiate Novice closest to you that you have already registered for, and that you should not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Obviously, new quiz programs and the freshmen and sophomores of established quiz programs are invited. A special invitation is extended to new college freshmen who played in the Southwest Virginia Academic Team Alliance (SWATA) and who are attending school regionally, regardless of whether or not your college campus supports a quizbowl program; this tournament should serve as a inducement to get interested students together to play our little game.

Full fee schedule and tournament logistics to come. In the meantime, if you are interested, please contact Pearson at [email protected]

Rock on.
Chuck Pearson
East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia quiz bowl flunky (and that won't change)
Vice President of Outreach (2018-2019), PACE (seriously, what even)
Associate Professor of Natural Science, Tusculum University (coming soon to a collegiate tournament in the Mid-South)
[email protected], @ShorterPearson where relevant
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Re: NAQT Collegiate Novice (IS-168C) at Tusculum (TN), 10/28

Post by ShorterPearson »

FYI: the tournament director is sick in the midst of finals week for our first block of classes. Which I'm teaching on overload. Delays, there might be a few.

Thanks for expressions of interest. If you haven't heard back, my deepest apologies; my email inbox is completely overrun. CC [email protected] if you have to resend anything.

At present we're not running this to make money; I'm setting a prelim fee of $50/team, but if you can provide staffing support, the TD might well be dealin'.

I'm not ready to field-update, but I've heard from teams (and interest groups) from Carson-Newman, ETSU, Washington & Lee, Pikeville, and Virginia Tech. It really does seem like what we do is going to serve the region's purposes.

Thanks for your attention. Please stand by.

pearson
Chuck Pearson
Associate Professor of Natural Science, Tusculum University (coming soon to a collegiate tournament in the Mid-South)
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Post by ShorterPearson »

For the record: this is still a preliminary announcement, despite the tournament being a week away.

It has not advanced beyond "preliminary announcement" because I don't have a staffing pool. Events have pretty much eaten into everybody I would otherwise be asking, and I'm not going to force this. I have a single emergency reader (who really should be playing) who will allow us to support this as a four-team glorified scrimmage between newer small-college programs in the region. I have strong interest from a couple other places, but again: with us being a new program, we don't have reading experience on-site beyond, well, me.

If you can help with reading, I need to know, pretty much now. I have no money to pay, but you better believe you're getting dinner.

Again, if you're a team that's expressed interest: the fee guidelines are loose and are extremely negotiable if you're able to provide a staffer. We're not doing this to make money. We're doing this to get the collegiate game in this region started. If you can help, say so.
Chuck Pearson
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Post by ShorterPearson »

For the record: people said so. There will be appreciation extended aplenty.

This is happening. The field, arranged alphabetically:

Carson-Newman
Clemson
East Tennessee State
Tusculum's house team
Virginia Tech A
Virginia Tech B
Washington & Lee

Tusculum will be making a very informal debut on the circuit, and Carson-Newman and ETSU will be making more formal debuts.

All teams will be receiving email directly with directions for arrival. Thanks to all of you for your patience, and your support.
Chuck Pearson
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Results, stats links, and gratitude

Post by ShorterPearson »

It happened.

Congratulations to Virginia Tech A (Nick Luca, Jack Huguenin, Nolan McGrady), winning the first Pioneer Collegiate Novice on a 9-1 record and a 255-245 final victory over the debutants from East Tennessee State (Erin Drinnon, Noah Lyons, Dakota Hill, Quinn Pearson, Breanna Stokes, and Alex Tabor), who finished 8-2 on the day. Virginia Tech finished 3rd, on 5-4 for the day.

Congratulations to Washington & Lee, in the person of Luke Basham, who made the final-four group playing solo and won top individual honors on 75.8 PPG in the preliminary group. Congratulations also to Timothy Quintanilla of Carson-Newman, another of our debut teams, who also won individual honors on 56.67 PPG. Awards were made to top-six on the day; other honorees were both Huguenin and Luca of Virginia Tech A, Drinnon of ETSU, and Alia Wilson of Virginia Tech B.

Full stats books are available for the preliminary and the playoff round-robins.

The people without whom: at the point when it was necessary to make the tournament happen, both Virginia Tech and ETSU volunteered to rotate players as readers, even as competitive matches were going forward. Many thanks to Nick Luca, Jack Huguenin, Alex Tabor and Breanna Stokes, all of whom are among the best staffers in this region and assets to our game in Virginia and East Tennessee. Nathaniel Brown brought a game crew from Clemson who were great additions to the field, and read throughout the preliminary round-robin; this tournament wouldn't have worked without him. Quinn Pearson (who is possibly related) threw in a key reading assist at a key moment. And lastly and most sigificantly, Gerianne Lee of our new Tusculum team put herself on scorekeeping detail for the entire day and proved the quickest study on the logistics of our game.

Our house team on the day was Courtney Rieke, Landon King, Ciara Ryan, Katie MacDonald, and Matthew Hathaway - all of whom at one point or another have invested themselves into the weirdness this new oddball professor is doing and have started to learn the rewards of the game. To those of you who were there today, thank you for your kindness to them and the joy you brought to the day. To those at Tusculum who supported on the day and who've also provided support at other points leading up to now: yeah, this is the game that makes me weird and giddy and I hope you're ready for more. This was merely a beginning, and we look forward to more joy ahead.

Thanks, everybody.
Chuck Pearson