Penn Bowl at Harvard (10/28/17)

Old college threads.
jiholius
Lulu

Penn Bowl at Harvard (10/28/17)

Post by jiholius »

Hello everyone,

On behalf of the Harvard Quiz Bowl team, I am pleased to announce that we will be hosting a mirror of Penn Bowl on Saturday, October 28th, 2017!

Logistics:
The tournament will be held in historic Tercentenary Theatre, which is located right next to Harvard Yard. We recommend using the MBTA Red Line to get to the tournament, since parking options are limited in Harvard Square and the traffic can be quite unpredictable (especially since the tournament date overlaps with Harvard's Freshman Family Weekend). We are aiming to start the first round at 9:00 AM and having most rounds finish by 6:00 PM at the latest (teams in finals or tiebreakers may need to stay until 6:30 PM). There will be preliminary and playoff rounds, with re-bracketing in between. A lunch break will take place when most convenient; teams will have access to a variety of food options in Harvard Square.

We will provide more logistics information as we finalize the details.

The field size will be capped at 20 teams; both college and high school teams are welcome to participate. To register, email me at [email protected] or post in this thread. Please include "Penn Bowl Registration" in the email subject, and specify the number of teams and any relevant discounts. Registrations are not complete until I respond in some fashion saying so!

Fees:
Tournament fees/discounts are the following:
+$120 per attending team
-$5 per working buzzer system (must have power cord and 8 functional buzzers, maximum three buzzer systems per organization)
-$15 per experienced moderator (must be familiar with quiz bowl rules/scoring, and have good pronunciation, speed, and reading skills)
-$10 if your team has to travel more than 200 miles one way, according to Google Maps

Set Details:
Details for Penn Bowl can be found here. The set is written by Penn Quiz Bowl et al., and will be head-edited by Eric Mukherjee.

Final Comments:
Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions relating to the tournament!
Last edited by jiholius on Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jiho (Jason) Park
Harvard 2014-2018
University High School (Irvine) 2012-2014
jiholius
Lulu

Re: Penn Bowl at Harvard (10/28/17)

Post by jiholius »

School (Teams/Buzzers/Staffers)
Michigan (1/0/0)
Boston College (1/1/0)
MIT (3/1/0)
Amherst (1/0/0)
Yale (3/1/0)
House (1/2/0)
TOTAL (10/5/0)
Last edited by jiholius on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
Jiho (Jason) Park
Harvard 2014-2018
University High School (Irvine) 2012-2014
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

jiholius wrote: Michigan (1/0/0)
I should perhaps clarify that this is me playing solo. My fellow Wolverines will be playing at the UChicago mirror on the same day, but I wasn't gonna be able to make that because I need to be at the Yiddish Book Center (in Amherst) on October 29. Harvard announcing its mirror was a nice bit of serendipity, because now I can fly into Boston on the 27th, play Penn Bowl on the 28th, and then drive to Amherst after the tournament.

For those of you who don't know me: don't worry, I'm no threat to a full team playing by myself.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Jon Suh
Wheaton Warrenville South High School '16
Harvard '20
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

Yale A won the tournament, followed by MIT A and MIT B. Thanks to everyone who attended and helped out!
Jon Suh
Harvard '20
AGoodMan
Rikku

Post by AGoodMan »

SQBS stats: Prelims & Combined.
Jon Suh
Harvard '20
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

This was super fun and super well run (and I'm now getting home before 4 AM because the tournament ran super well). Thanks!

EDIT: "now" not "not"
EDIT: uhhhh turns out I was not here wrong year
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21