NAQT SCT@UWaterloo (3/2/2018)

Old college threads.
Sigurd
Lulu

NAQT SCT@UWaterloo (3/2/2018)

Post by Sigurd »

Hello Canada! And Quizbowl Fans from the United States and (Not) Newfoundland!
UWaterloo Quizbowl is pleased to announce that the Canadian site of NAQT's Sectional Championship Tournament (SCT) will be held at the University of Waterloo on the (hopefully) lovely winter Saturday of February 3rd, 2018. We intend (and expect) to run two divisions at this site, and information about both varients of the question set can be found on NAQT's website

Location, Format and Schedule
This tournament will start at 8:30AM, with the first question being read no later than 9AM. The games will occur on the 4th floor of MC and the control room will be MC4045! Each division will include at least a one hour lunch break (not necessarily at the same time for both divisions), and the format for playoffs and finals will be chosen based on NAQT's Guidelines. The Division I portion of this tournament will also award an Undergrad champion should four or more UG only teams play DI.

Nationals Qualification
This tournament serves as a qualifier for NAQT's 2018 Intercollegiate Championship Tournament (ICT), which will be held on Saturday, April 14, at the Hyatt Regency O’Hare near Chicago. Qualification will be determined by D-value and tournament championships, and the exact criteria can be found here. Do note that these exact policies are new for 2018.

Eligibility
As is standard with SCT's, this tournament will run two separate divisions. Specific information regarding eligibility for Division II can be found here, but the general gist of the rules is you lose your DII eligibility by qualifying for, or playing, either division of ICT. All players on a DII team must be DII eligible. Division I is open to all teams consisting of eligible players from the same University. General information about eligiblity can be found here and here.

Fees and Payment
Canadian Teams may give thanks that these prices are in CAD. (American Teams close to the border should take note of this :razz:)
Base Fee: $125 for the first team from a school, $100 for any subsequent teams
Buzzer Discount: -$10 per working system with 8 working buzzers
Staffer Discount: -$30 per staffer
New School Discount: -$20 per team (New School defined as having not played SCT, ICT or CCCT for two years pervious)
These fees can be paid on/before the day of the tournament using either Cash, Cheques made out to "University of Waterloo Quizbowl", or Interac e-Transfer. Please contact me before hand if you would like to pay with e-transfer.

Registration
Registration can be done through NAQT and the field list will also be shown here as it develops. Though you can also register by contacting me at [email protected] (or through another medium of communication), your registration will not be considered as confirmed until you go through NAQT's website!

Side Events
If desired, I hope to have a full set of side events avaliable to add to the overall experience of SCT weekend. This will hopefully include GHOTI to be played Saturday night, and a lighter tournament for Sunday. If you have any suggestions towards what you would like to see here, please let me know!

Other Notes
Free parking can be found at Lot X on this map. Located off the north side of Columbia Street. Free parking can also be found at the University Colleges located along Westmount avenue. Lunch options will be widely available at the plaza located to the West of Campus, including several quality shawarma shops and Waterloo's own Mr. Paninos Beijing House. Staffers will have lunch provided for them, and a communal order of lunch food for teams can be organized if desired.

Field
Division I (Teams, Buzzers, Staffers)
Toronto (1/2/1)
McGill (1/0/1)
Carleton (1/0/0)
Waterloo (1/1/x)
Division II (Teams, Buzzers, Staffers)
Toronto (4/0/0)
McGill (3/0/0)
Queens (1/2/1)
McMaster (1/0/0)
Last edited by Sigurd on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Isaac Thiessen
Martingrove CI 2015
Waterloo 2020
Sigurd
Lulu

Re: NAQT SCT@UWaterloo (3/2/2018)

Post by Sigurd »

A few updates:
A soft field cap of 4/8 is in play for this site. This will, of course, be expanded if there is sufficient interest to expand the field. A house team will be fielded in Division I (assuming the tournament has sufficient staff in order to run, as this is required before fielding any house teams), if sufficient staff cannot be obtained and no fourth team signs up for Div1, this tournament will run a combined field on the DII questions.

Additionally, a mirror of the (novice level) Delta Burke will be played on the Sunday following SCT, should we attain sufficient interest (~16 players).
Isaac Thiessen
Martingrove CI 2015
Waterloo 2020
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

If the mirror of Delta Burke happens, I'm playing it on a team of 2 with Derek So.
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

McGill B will play Delta Burke
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Senator_Jay
Rikku

Post by Senator_Jay »

Don't forget that I'll be running GHOTI immediately following the tournament tomorrow, for anyone interested in spending $10 to flex their history and/or geography muscles!
Jay Misuk
McMaster University, 2009, 2010, 2016
University of Toronto, 2011, 2017, 2022
MEd. (Educational Linguistics) MSc. (CogSciLing), Hon. BA (Linguistics), BA (History), BEd. (History, Geography, Music, Math, Soc. Sci, Law, Latin)

Tri-national competitor; tri-national neg champion.
To quote the ephemeral Jordan Palmer - "There is no shame, only points"
Sigurd
Lulu

Post by Sigurd »

Just to ensure that there are no mistakes tomorrow, this tournament will take place on the 4th floor of MC, not RCH as previously reported. The opening meeting will be in MC4045 at 8:30AM tomorrow!

See you all there!
Isaac Thiessen
Martingrove CI 2015
Waterloo 2020