Cal's Mid-Spring Tournament (CMST) @ Auburn (3/24/18)

Old college threads.
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Cal's Mid-Spring Tournament (CMST) @ Auburn (3/24/18)

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

I am pleased to announce that Auburn University will be hosting the Southeast mirror of Cal's Mid-Spring Tournament (CMST) on Saturday, March 24, 2018. The tournament will be hosted on the Auburn University campus in the Haley Center (351 W Thach Concourse, Auburn, AL 36849). This is an open tournament, and all players are welcome (including ambitious high schoolers!) regardless of their school affiliations.

The tournament's main announcement can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=20584. This tournament's difficulty is Nationals-minus, akin to "This Tournament is a Crime" and "Stanford Housewrite" of the past few years.

LOCATION, PARKING, TIME:
This tournament will take place in the Haley Center (351 W Thach Concourse, Auburn, AL 36849). The closest available parking will be the navy and pink lot marked "D" on this map http://media.al.com/montgomery/photo/au ... 2d81bb.jpg. Parking on campus is free on weekends. From there, follow Heisman Drive across from the stadium and it will take you to the Haley Center. It is very old and brick.

On the day of the tournament, teams should arrive between 8:30-8:45. We will start at 9:00.

FIELD:
For now, I'm going to cap the field for this tournament at 8 teams. I'll try my best to expand if there's more interest.

FEES:
$150 base fee (I realize this is kind of high, but the mirror fee is higher than other tournaments and we'll offer high discounts).
-$15 per working buzzer
PLEASE BRING YOUR BUZZERS. WE DO NOT OWN A SET. IF TEAMS DO NOT BRING THEIR BUZZERS, WE WILL HAVE TO PLAY SLAPBOWL.

-$30 per competent staffer
-$10 per 200 miles traveled one way (I suppose there's no real way to apply this to open teams)

To register, please email me at [email protected] and indicate the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you'll be bringing. If you're registering an open team, please indicate who your team is.

A spreadsheet for team formation can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing.

PAYMENT:
We can accept cash/checks on the day of the tournament. Please make checks out to "Auburn Quiz Bowl" and not me personally/the university.
Last edited by Zealots of Stockholm on Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Re: Cal's Mid-Spring Tournament (CMST) @ Auburn (3/24/18)

Field (Teams/Buzzers/Staffers):

Confirmed
Alabama (2/1/0)
Florida (2/2/0)
Florida State (1/1/0)
South Carolina (1/2/0)
Sundberg/Ware/Douglasses (1)
Beyer/Marshall (1/1)

Free agents
Last edited by Zealots of Stockholm on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

There will be a mirror of Scattegories 2, written by Will Nediger, after this tournament as long as there is sufficient interest.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Kevin Marshall and I have two spots available on our team if anyone is interested.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

I sent out a logistics email for this earlier tonight. If you did not get the email, have someone on your team pass it along. If nobody on your team got the email, let me know ASAP. Our opening meeting will be in Haley Center 2312.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

This happened. A team of Billy Beyer/Kevin Marshall/Darren defeated Florida A in a one game final, 195-165. Stats exist and can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/.

I would like to sincerely apologize to all of our attending teams, as this event ran much slower than I would have liked. I believe there were a number of reasons for this, including starting late, rounds generally taking longer/questions being longer than expected, being short on staff on our end, and a few other mishaps. I hope everyone still managed to have a good time, and in the future we'll try and do a better job when hosting.

We ran a 7 game RR, followed by a 4/4 split. The final results in the top bracket are as follows: 1. Beyer/Marshall 2. Florida A 3. The Dark Legacy of Alexander Shunnarah 4. Florida State.
Both Alabama teams, and Florida B elected to leave after prelims.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20