Chicago Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).

Chicago Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Postby Auroni » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:11 am

I'm delighted to announce this year's edition of Chicago Open will take place on Saturday, July 21st, 2018, and will kick off a weekend of quizbowl tournaments at the University of Chicago. The main event will be edited by Jordan Brownstein, Jacob Reed, Joey Goldman, a to be determined second science editor, and myself as the head editor. In keeping with the spirit of past Chicago Opens, we aim to produce a set that will challenge any player in attendance, regardless of skill level, but that is consistently fun and unoppressive to play through.

As always, Chicago Open is a packet-submission tournament; if you want to play, you must be part of a packet-submitting team. The unique nature of this tournament should give you wide latitude to explore subjects and connections between topics in your submissions, but please don't churn out a bunch of boring stupid-hard tossups that 0 to 1 people in the field will have a shot at even answering -- those won't be used. Most tossups in the final version of the set will be no longer than 9 lines, but you can submit tossups that are longer than that. The questions will be power-marked.

The distribution for submitted packets will be mostly similar to last year's, with a few modifications:

5/5 Literature

1/1 Long Fiction (novels of any stripe)
1/1 Poetry (lyric and dramatic poetry, and the poetic (non-narrative) aspects of epic poetry)
1/0 or 0/1 Short Fiction (short stories and novellas)
1/0 or 0/1 Drama
1/1 Miscellaneous Literature (literary biography, criticism, culture, or anything that falls through the cracks of the previous categories)
1/1 More of the above

5/5 History

1/1 American History
1/1 World History
3/3 European, Canadian, and Australian history. Write no more than one Canadian or Australian history question, please. Feel free to replace one of the six questions with historiography, the academic study of history, etc.

5/5 Science

1/1 Biology
1/1 Chemistry
1/1 Physics
1/1 Other science - Computer Science, Math, Astronomy, Earth Science - do not write on the same two categories for this.
1/1 Any Science - can be more of the Big 3, or one of the Other Science categories you did not write on, or other science questions that don't neatly fit into the distribution (say engineering!)

3/2 or 2/3 RMP

1/0 or 0/1 Mythology
1/1 Religion
1/1 Philosophy

3/3 Arts

1/1 Painting and Sculpture
1/1 Classical Music and Opera
0/1 or 1/0 Other Visual Arts
0/1 or 1/0 Other Auditory Arts

1/1 Social Science - psychology, law, sociology, anthropology, linguistics, etc. One question at most can focus on "great theorists." Try to write applied questions in these topics.

1/0 or 0/1 Geography or Current Events

2/2 Other Academic (any academic discipline not represented by the above, pop culture viewed through an academic lens, questions on pop culture topics from which it is self-evident why the topic is culturally influential or important, or just 1/1 more of any component of this whole distribution)

The fee structure for the tournament will be as follows:

Base fee: $250

May 13th: -$50
May 27th: -$25
June 10th: -$0
June 24th: +$25
July 8th: +$50
Every day thereafter until July 15: +$10
July 15th: dropped from the tournament except for significant extenuating circumstances that have been cleared with the editing team.

We will also bring back a form of last year's incentive structure for quality packets, which are always a delight to receive and read, in the form of discounts awarded at the discretion of the editing team:

Great Submission: -$100 (a significant number of questions can be used with virtually no editing)
Good Submission: -$50 (every question is structurally solid, with a few inspired ideas here or there)

Other discounts include the following:

Buzzer discount: -$5 per working set provided
Staff discount: -$20 per competent moderator or scorekeeper transported and lodged

Email me (auronigupta@gmail.com) to register for the tournament.

We will work with the University of Chicago team to secure facilities for this tournament and for the rest of the weekend.
Last edited by Auroni on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
"I love Milf Money" - Will Nediger
Auroni
Auron

Re: Chicago Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Postby Auks Ran Ova » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:35 am

As a reminder, Chicago Open Trash will return on the Sunday following this tournament. We will likely be offering a similar system of slightly-tiered registration to incentivize trash participants to play or staff in the main event, and correspondingly will be eternally grateful to anyone willing to staff our event.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Postby 1.82 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:35 am

Auroni wrote:2/2 Other Academic (any academic discipline not represented by the above, pop culture viewed through an academic lens, "highbrow" pop culture, up to 1/1 more of any component of this distribution)

Can you elaborate on what "highbrow" pop culture is? What distinguishes acceptable academic content from unacceptable trash?
Naveed Chowdhury
Maryland '16
Georgia Tech '17
Wakka

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:52 pm

A couple of (lame-ish) questions:

1) Will there be powers?
2) Will target difficulty be below the previous two COs? I feel that there's been some frustration that, despite expanding interest and a wider audience for CO, the last two COs have increased difficulty over what was generally thought to be a plenty-hard tournament
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase '12
Dartmouth College '16
"You are beyond parody" -Auroni Gupta
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
Auron

Postby The grandmother is {wise, dead}. » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:40 pm

1.82 wrote:Can you elaborate on what "highbrow" pop culture is? What distinguishes acceptable academic content from unacceptable trash?

In general, if it's important to white men, it's highbrow.
Aayush Rajasekaran
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 201x
University of Toronto, 201y

isnt rick and morty that thing you get when you die and your body gets all stiff
The grandmother is {wise, dead}.
Wakka

Postby ErikC » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm concerned that the history distribution doesn't have any split between time periods. Will the editors take this into account when combining submissions? In the past at submission I've noticed some packets will only have questions on more recent topics.

Also, I'm guessing for European, Canadian, and Australian the editors do no want 3 Canadians history tossups and 3 Austrian history bonuses.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
I write trash
Defending VETO top scorer
ErikC
Lulu

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:30 pm

The grandmother is {wise, dead}. wrote:
1.82 wrote:Can you elaborate on what "highbrow" pop culture is? What distinguishes acceptable academic content from unacceptable trash?

In general, if it's important to white men, it's highbrow.

Can we please not hijack this thread to make snarky, divisive comments alluding to racial and cultural politics? I understand the frustration at this highbrow / lowbrow division but come on - the head editor is noted Very Liberal and Not White Person Auroni Gupta.

EDIT: I'm inclined to trust this editing team to deliver a good mix of history topics, but I do share some of Isaac's concern about the recency bias of history questions in submission tournaments based on my past experience. I required some non-20th century history submissions for WAO because of this phenomenon, and even then I thought the older history submissions were disproportionately poorly and hastily executed. That said, I'm willing to believe that this is, to an extent, related to documentaries, historiography, etc overwhelmingly focusing on the 20th century and some limitations on primary source material, or people thinking that it's all boring, or whatever.
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase '12
Dartmouth College '16
Auron

Postby The grandmother is {wise, dead}. » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Can we please not hijack this thread to make snarky, divisive comments alluding to racial and cultural politics? I understand the frustration at this highbrow / lowbrow division but come on - the head editor is noted Very Liberal and Not White Person Auroni Gupta.

I'm not frustrated about the division, and I don't know jack about the head editor. I'm just pointing out the best guideline there is to distinguish between "highbrow" and "lowbrow".
Aayush Rajasekaran
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 201x
University of Toronto, 201y

isnt rick and morty that thing you get when you die and your body gets all stiff
The grandmother is {wise, dead}.
Wakka

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:11 pm

The grandmother is {wise, dead}. wrote:
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Can we please not hijack this thread to make snarky, divisive comments alluding to racial and cultural politics? I understand the frustration at this highbrow / lowbrow division but come on - the head editor is noted Very Liberal and Not White Person Auroni Gupta.

I'm not frustrated about the division, and I don't know jack about the head editor. I'm just pointing out the best guideline there is to distinguish between "highbrow" and "lowbrow".

Ah, my mistake. Based on personal experience, I was under the impression that food, musicals, and genre lit were things that people of many ethnic/racial backgrounds and genders were interested in. I was unaware that they were mainly the interests of white men. Thanks for enlightening me!
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase '12
Dartmouth College '16
Auron

Postby Auroni » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:18 pm

"Highbrow" is an inexact term for the tenor of question we are looking for, so I've removed it from the post. We will give submission on "trash" topics if they make enough of a case as to their self-evident cultural influence or importance. Feel free to contact any editor if you have any questions.

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:A couple of (lame-ish) questions:

1) Will there be powers?
2) Will target difficulty be below the previous two COs? I feel that there's been some frustration that, despite expanding interest and a wider audience for CO, the last two COs have increased difficulty over what was generally thought to be a plenty-hard tournament

Yes.

We don't want to commit to an overly-precise difficulty benchmark before actually seeing where the experience of writing and editing questions takes us, but please be assured that we value the playing experience of the entire audience, and will think of it at every turn during the set production process. To reiterate my announcement, the goal is to make the set feel challenging, but not demoralizing.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Cheynem » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Is there room for whimsy?
Mike Cheyne
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah
Cheynem
Auron

Postby Auroni » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:13 pm

When isn't there room for whimsy?
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase '12
Dartmouth College '16
Auron

Postby Cheynem » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 pm

I am looking for a team. I was pretty bad at the last CO.
Mike Cheyne
The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah
Cheynem
Auron

Postby Robert Williams Avenger » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:21 pm

Benji Nguyen and I are seeking two rabblerousers to be our teammates. Contact either of us if you're interested, especially if you know science.
Dylan Minarik
Member, PACE

Extremely Online and Unaffiliated, 2017-Present
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

JRPG Champion, QANTA Slayer
Robert Williams Avenger
Forums Staff: Moderator

Return to Collegiate Announcements & Results