Chicago Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

This forum is for tournament announcements, updates, and results (official or otherwise).

Re: Evanston Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Postby Aaron's Rod » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Guile Island wrote:
Auroni wrote:Due to issues with the room reservation process at the University of Chicago, this tournament will instead be held at Northwestern University.

:party: :party: :party: Tomate, Chicken Shack, here I come! :party: :party: :party:

In all seriousness, if anyone wants food suggestions/needs any help with where to stay or anything else in Evanston, drop me a line.

In concordance with the :party: emoji and the new, suburban location, I intend to host festivities at my parents' north shore home on Saturday night, following whatever hellish hour EO concludes. All quizbowlers who are over 18 and have graduated high school are welcome. It is not accessible by transit, so while I won't organize it myself, DDing/splitting rideshares is strongly encouraged. If you want more details (such as an exact location, especially if this may influence your hotel-booking purposes) hit me up over a medium of your convenience: text/Facebook/email/Discord DM/forums DM/skywriting over Lake Michigan.
Alex D.
Lawrence University B.A., B.Mus. '16 // DePaul University M.S. '18
2018-2019 Treasurer, ACF // 2017-2018 Director of Communications, PACE // Writer, NAQT
Professional 4th Scorer, Side Event-Winning Teams
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Re: Evanston Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Postby Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:59 pm

Aaron's Rod wrote:
Guile Island wrote:
Auroni wrote:Due to issues with the room reservation process at the University of Chicago, this tournament will instead be held at Northwestern University.

:party: :party: :party: Tomate, Chicken Shack, here I come! :party: :party: :party:

In all seriousness, if anyone wants food suggestions/needs any help with where to stay or anything else in Evanston, drop me a line.

skywriting over Lake Michigan.

paging morgan venkus
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Banned Tiny Toon Adventures Episode
Tidus

Re: Chicago Open 2018 - July 21st weekend

Postby Auroni » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:45 am

The submitted packet list has been updated (pending, as usual, extensions and other requests). Email me if you have any questions.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
"I love Milf Money" - Will Nediger
Auroni
Auron

Postby Auroni » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:22 pm

Reminder that the +$25 deadline is this weekend. Also, I'm aware of one team that hasn't yet emailed me to officially register; please do that.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Auroni » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:12 am

The +50 deadline is tonight, and you have one week of accumulating penalties to get your packets in at all, or you will be dropped from the field.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Cheynem » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:00 am

Will you let us know how much we owe at some point (i.e. if there were discounts)?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cheynem
Sin

Postby Auroni » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Cheynem wrote:Will you let us know how much we owe at some point (i.e. if there were discounts)?

Yes, at the opening meeting itself. Speaking of discounts, if you are coming to the tournament at all in any capacity and have the ability to bring buzzers, please do; I have raised the discount to -$10 per working set.
Last edited by Auroni on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Cheynem » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:11 pm

Is there no way we can learn how much we need to pay before the actual day of the tournament?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Postby The King's Flight to the Scots » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:04 pm

If it's possible for the editors to do this, it would be convenient for us to know how much cash to withdraw before the opening meeting.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Postby Auroni » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:26 pm

Every paying team should now have gotten an email about how much they owe. I can be paid via Venmo at any time (just look up my name), or via cash or check the morning of the tournament.
Auroni Gupta
Michigan '17
Auroni
Auron

Postby Cheynem » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:23 pm

Thanks for doing that.

I'm assuming information about where we will be meeting and when is also pending, so that might influence this answer, but having not been to Northwestern in a while, where is the best place to park?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Postby The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:37 pm

There's a huge lot that's open on weekends on the southeast end of campus next to one of those newfangled giant buildings. Just enter on Sheridan before it intersects with Chicago Avenue.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10, Northwestern B '14

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Tidus

Postby Guile Island » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:43 pm

The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) wrote:There's a huge lot that's open on weekends on the southeast end of campus next to one of those newfangled giant buildings. Just enter on Sheridan before it intersects with Chicago Avenue.

Yup, this is free on weekends, and we've always encouraged people to park at it for NU-hosted tournaments in the past. Entering "Northwestern Lakeside Parking Structure" into GMaps should get you there.
Dylan Minarik
Retired Quizbowl Gadfly
Member, PACE

Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Guile Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Postby Cheynem » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Is this the lot/structure near the George Segal Visitors Center and the Paul Ryan Center for the Musical Arts? (which is close to where I think the tournament is being held--Kresge or Locy)

My reading of the Northwestern parking regulations is that parking on weekends is free--is this fake news?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Postby jonah » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Cheynem wrote:Is this the lot/structure near the George Segal Visitors Center and the Paul Ryan Center for the Musical Arts?
Patrick Ryan! And yes, and yes it's free.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Postby ValenciaQBowl » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:39 pm

Paul Ryan Center for the Musical Arts
: Presumably featuring an endless loop of Rage against the Machine songs paired with videos of its namesake doing P90X and talking about destroying the social safety net with his buddies at frat keggers.

Anyway, so has a building location been announced? Will it be in one of those (Kresge or Locy?) that Mike mentioned?
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Postby adamsil » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:16 pm

ValenciaQBowl wrote:
Paul Ryan Center for the Musical Arts
: Anyway, so has a building location been announced? Will it be in one of those (Kresge or Locy?) that Mike mentioned?

The tournament itself will be in Locy (and one room in Fisk, which is adjacent to Locy). I'm still hoping to get confirmation from the administration on a larger room in Kresge to have more space for the opening meeting, but regardless, all of these buildings are relatively close together.

As a quick note to anyone using CTA on Saturday: your best bet is to get off at the Foster stop on the purple line and walk east until you hit campus (Sheridan Rd. is the western border); then, walk down around the southwest end of the campus, and Locy/Fisk/Kresge are all relatively close together in the southeast corner. If you hit the lake, you've gone too far (obviously).
Adam Silverman
Georgia Tech 2012-2016
Northwestern 2016-
adamsil
Wakka

Previous

Return to Collegiate Announcements & Results