Stevenson Memorial Tournament (SMT) at Johns Hopkins 3/10/18

Old college threads.
Youngster Joey
Lulu

Stevenson Memorial Tournament (SMT) at Johns Hopkins 3/10/18

Post by Youngster Joey »

Johns Hopkins University is pleased to announce that we will be mirroring the 2018 Stevenson Memorial Tournament (SMT) on Saturday, March 10, 2018. This tournament is geared towards new or lesser experienced college players, as the set difficulty will be below regular. More information on the set can be found here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =8&t=20424.

Eligibility:
All current high school and undergraduate students are eligible to play. Graduate students can obtain permission to play from Young Fenimore Lee at [email protected]. Generally, only less-experienced graduate students who played their first tournament in the 2017 - 2018 school year will be granted permission. All teams must be composed of students from the same school.

The tournament will take place at Johns Hopkins University, located at 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218. Room locations will be in Gilman Hall. A map of campus can be found here: http://cis.jhu.edu/images/campus_map_0907.pdf. Parking is available at the South Garage, at the flat rate of $9 per day.

Entry Fees and Discounts:
Base Fee: $110 per team
Buzzers: -$5 per each working buzzer system
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
Staffing: -$10 per competent staffer (limit one per team)

Payment must be made on the day of the tournament either by cash or check only. Please make checks out to "Johns Hopkins University."

To register, please complete this form: https://goo.gl/forms/wEO7DgyxqibXnsx53. The field will initially be capped at 16 teams.

Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Last edited by Youngster Joey on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

"Remember my super cool Rattata? My Rattata is different from regular Rattata. It’s like my Rattata is in the top percentage of all Rattata."
Youngster Joey
Lulu

Re: Stevenson Memorial Tournament (SMT) at Johns Hopkins 3/1

Post by Youngster Joey »

Registered Teams (16/16):
School | # Teams | # Buzzers | # Staffers
Carnegie Mellon | 2 | 0 | 2
Delaware | 1 | 0 | 0
Dred Defenders | 1 | 1 | 0
Gettysburg | 1 | 1 | 0
Johns Hopkins | 3 | 3 | Enough
Langley | 2 | 2 | 0
Maryland | 3 | 1 | 1
Penn | 1 | 1 | 0
Sally Hemings | 1 | 0 | 0
Scranton | 1 | 0 | 0
Last edited by Youngster Joey on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

"Remember my super cool Rattata? My Rattata is different from regular Rattata. It’s like my Rattata is in the top percentage of all Rattata."
Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

Reminder that this tournament is happening in a little less than a month. We welcome all interested high school and college teams to sign up!
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

The field has reached our tentative cap of 16 teams. We are currently in the process of expanding the field.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

UPDATE: The field has been expanded to 18 teams.
Last edited by Youngster Joey on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

The Squamous Homarid
Lulu

Post by The Squamous Homarid »

Hello,
Wilmington Charter originally signed up as we had anticipated a date change for this event and since JHU has decided to stick with the original date (which is also the date of our middle school tournament), we regretfully have to go through with the decision to drop our team from the event.
Waley He
Team Captain, Charter School of Wilmington '19
Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

Congratulations to Penn for winning an advantaged final against Sally Hemings! Thanks to all teams for coming!
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

My thanks to the JHU team for running this tournament! The rounds went smoothly and were well-organized. I would definitely consider attending future tournaments at JHU.
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27
Youngster Joey
Lulu

Post by Youngster Joey »

wcheng wrote:My thanks to the JHU team for running this tournament! The rounds went smoothly and were well-organized. I would definitely consider attending future tournaments at JHU.
Thanks Weijia for these kind words! We definitely look forward to hosting more college tournaments in the upcoming future.
Walter Zhao
Torrey Pines '16
Johns Hopkins '19
UCSF '20
CWRU

Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

Thank you to everyone who played this mirror of JHU, and thank you to JHU for hosting! A private discussion forum is open to get comments on the set – to join the private forum, go to User Control Panel -> Usergroups -> Select "2018 SMT Discussion" -> Click "Submit". Thank you all!
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028